Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: K&N vs Green vs Stock

based on your experience does that cone drastically improve the sound? does it make you go "wow that sounds much much better"

also, arent all these cone filters that say "reuasble and cleanable", arent they all cotton gauze and oil?? would a cone filter clog up the MAF like the standard flat k&n filter?

C55 Charter Member
    C280, I don't have experience with the cone filter in a W202 so can't really make any esitmation of what outweighs the other. This is just suposition now, but I'd say increasing flow would outweigh it being warmer air (doesn't the stock airbox pull the air from the engine compertment anyway?!). As long as we're not talking super hot air, which it shouldn't be at the front of the engine compartment, the biggest worry from hotter air is increase risk of pre-ignition; especially if you use low octane fuel. I would definitely use high test in the summer I'd guess, if you don't use it all year (and realize again this is just all suposition ).

I do know my Jeep reacts completely counter-intuitively. It actually performs better in 50 - 60 degree weather then 20 - 30 degree weather!

Maintenance I speak of is what I quoted from speedybenz.

Benz Newbie (side question, when you chose that handle, did you realize you'd be a newbie forever that way? ...as club202's software doesn't support change of a handle <grin>), with the stock C43 airbox there's a slightly better sound.

With my Jeep, it was like holy sh*t, WTF?!!! Now hear's something pretty amazing. With the restrictive stock exhaust, that "BWAAA" sound was under the hood. What's great about headers and exhaust is it mostly moves that sound from under the hood and transports it to the exhaust output... the high flow exhast is definitely working. In regards to just doing something with intake and not doing a high flow exhaust (the C43 already has one), I once read a post from a knowledgable tuner who dub'ed it "ah, the 'sound of slow'!" ... LOL. Not to worry, the stock non-MB exhaust has to outflow the stock Jeep's handily. h

ive been searching benz custom intakes, like these pics:

anyone who did a mod like this, im thinking of doing it since i cant put the cone in my bumper because i have foglight there. what are advantages and disadvantages of copying the intakes in these above pics? is it WORTH IT compared to stock airbox?

Originally posted by Benz Newbie
    ive been searching benz custom intakes, like these pics:

anyone who did a mod like this, im thinking of doing it since i cant put the cone in my bumper because i have foglight there. what are advantages and disadvantages of copying the intakes in these above pics? is it WORTH IT compared to stock airbox?

What model is your car? Im gonna tell you right now, if you have a kompressor, its going to sound horrible, im currently working on a 1 piece design on air intake, a basic Y type for the intake and the bypass, and have it fit threw the bumper. Which sould make it sound better, not like a exhuast leak. Instead of 2 Filters like the 1st picture, the last picture is a turbo'd 230, so u don't need the bypass.
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

its a pre-updated c280. i was thinking of getting a big cone filter and an aluminum pipe and just connecting them so they end up on the airbox. im hoping it'll sound better and maybe gain a little hp even though the hot air will enter the cone filter. u think its possible? percentage wise, by how much will the sound seem louder or throatier? can an untrained ear notice the diff, and when best could this sound be heard?

"I must actually post a video of the sound"

im still waitin for that video lol

Ok Newbie, you'll get your video probably on wed, latest friday
    If you don\'t do it properly, don\'t waste our time!!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

hey c280///amg, if i put the cone filter inside my engine instead of the bumper will it still sound as good as yours assuming i using same size cone as you? also the number one concern i have is will ample air get into the engine because im afraid ill mess it up with the cone. if i position the cone like in the pics i posted will i get enought air into the engine? i just dont want to damage my engine with the cone.

hey c280///amg, if i put the cone filter inside my engine instead of the bumper will it still sound as good as yours assuming i using same size cone as you? also the number one concern i have is will ample air get into the engine because im afraid ill mess it up with the cone. if i position the cone like in the pics i posted will i get enought air into the engine? i just dont want to damage my engine with the cone
    About the sound, it should sound the same, but i honestly don't know. What i can say is when i first fitted my CAI, i used 3'' air ducting and when i switched to PVC tubing 3 weeks later, the sound became alot tighter and slightly louder (very slightly). At the same time, when i tested the difference by running my car with no air filter at all (i.e. air was being sucked in directly from the MAS in the engine bay, and i only drove like this for 5 kms) there was almost no sound at all, and there was certainly a decrease in power (however the decrease was slight)

I understand your concern with damaging ur engine. I'm just as concerned as you. If you look under my thread 'My CAI', OCKlasse posted a picture of an AMS product which prevents water being sucked in. Definately get one of those if you can (i don't have one cos i'm very careful where i drive, and besides, i can't find anyone here that stocks them)

Why are you so keen to put the filter in the engine bay?

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

HAHA

I came up with a brillant plan......lmfao i don't know how good its going to work, but lets say you take out the filter on the box, close off that one piece that goes next to grill, and cut the box open on the bottom to fit the tubing, and have the cone filter in the bumper........muahahah im soo *$()#ing retarted lmfao

"At the same time, when i tested the difference by running my car with no air filter at all (i.e. air was being sucked in directly from the MAS in the engine bay, and i only drove like this for 5 kms) there was almost no sound at all, and there was certainly a decrease in power "

so its the cone filter thas creating the noise? without it there is no noise? i have foglights in the bumper hole on left and right sides so i cant put the cone there. so i thought next best thing is in the engine bay. the increased hp from the cone should IMO offset the heat entering the cone, plus there's the better sound that you mentioned. this is all based on what i read here and elsewhere

I have an intake on my car. Look for it . I know mine sucks in hot air but the car is slow anyways. I do it for the sound. I may change it to a CAI later on.
    1997 C280 Sport

97c280, how do you compare the sound on your car before and after the intake you mentioned? is it a little better? or a lot better?

I don't really notice anything at idle or around 2-3K RPMS. However you can hear it very loud once I hit 4-5K RPMS. My friend was driving next to me and when I smashed passed 5K RPM he thought that there was like an muscle car coming from the back when it was me.

And what people said about our engines running hot, its true. After about a days driving, my intake pipe is pretty hot. Although I have that Weapon-R Velocity Stack pipe, I don't know if it helps with the heating. I was considering to take off my intake and put my stock box back in. I noticed that my gas get sucked up a lot from the intake..

And no, my MAF or MAS did not FUCK UP. Or at least it didn't yet. Knock on wood.
    1997 C280 Sport

"I noticed that my gas get sucked up a lot from the intake.."

what do you mean by that?

Re: HAHA

Originally posted by Cru328prod

I came up with a brillant plan......lmfao i don't know how good its going to work, but lets say you take out the filter on the box, close off that one piece that goes next to grill, and cut the box open on the bottom to fit the tubing, and have the cone filter in the bumper........muahahah im soo *$()#ing retarted lmfao
    This is an idea, but i'm not so sure if you'll have any change in performance.

The stock filter box acts like an exhaust muffler, so it will reduce the sound, but at the same time (i'm guessing) it will reduce the 'free flow' of the intake air.

Try it out and let us know!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

"At the same time, when i tested the difference by running my car with no air filter at all (i.e. air was being sucked in directly from the MAS in the engine bay, and i only drove like this for 5 kms) there was almost no sound at all, and there was certainly a decrease in power "

so its the cone filter thas creating the noise? without it there is no noise? i have foglights in the bumper hole on left and right sides so i cant put the cone there. so i thought next best thing is in the engine bay. the increased hp from the cone should IMO offset the heat entering the cone, plus there's the better sound that you mentioned. this is all based on what i read here and elsewhere
    I was also about to fit foglights, but then i discovered the CAI, and i've never looked back!

Newbie, do you really stay by the Nurnburgring? What 202 do you have?

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

i grew up in Germany but my family and i moved to America while i was still young, what about you where are you from?

Re: Re: HAHA

Originally posted by C280/////AMG
    This is an idea, but i'm not so sure if you'll have any change in performance.

The stock filter box acts like an exhaust muffler, so it will reduce the sound, but at the same time (i'm guessing) it will reduce the 'free flow' of the intake air.

Try it out and let us know!
    Lmao i don't wanna try it, my ideas are always do or die, but im always to lazy to follow threw. Plus im working on a custom Y pipe intake for us kompressor boys. You 6ers and 8s, got it tooooo easy lmao.

i grew up in Germany but my family and i moved to America while i was still young, what about you where are you from?
    I'm initially from Greece, but spent most of my life in South Africa. However, we're planning to immigrate to NY in about 3 years.
    Reason i asked is cos my dream is to take an AMG or Ferrari aorund the Nordschleife, 22 kms of heaven!!! But this has nothing to do with performance tuning!
    What car u got?

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

i have a preupdated c280 like you, yeh it probably would be fun to race our cars on that track, presumably after we mod them

im thinking of doing this type of intake for the sound but my biggest worry is will the air get into the cone filter? the filter is not enclosed and when the air comes in through the hole in the grille i think it will scatter and not enter the cone? does the engine wait for the air to enter or does it suck up air by itself? if the cone is left a few inches away from the air box hole will air still enter the cone? or do i need to channel a pipe from the end of the cone right into the grille hole? basically im REALLY worried if i do that my car will not get the air it needs and ill mess up the whole engine? is my concern warranted? any tips on your experience really helps, thanks

is the pic above called a WAI Warm Air Intake? are there any benefits to WAI compared to CAI? what about this pic:

also what materials would i need to build a home-made heat shield to keep hot air from entering the cone area and keep the cold air from going around my filter and dissipating

how does the MAF or MAS work? does it suck in air when you press the gas? or does it need to be connect to the grille hole to get air? can the engine run on just the hot engine air inside or is outside air needed? also, what if you drive without any filter, does that increase HP since you're removing the restrictive filter? would it sound better or worse to remove the OEM filter alltogether?

All engines suck in air, the air doesn't need ot be pushed into the engine for it to operate. However, on some vehicles(kompressor modelsif we are speaking about the w202) the air is forced into the engine at a higher than normal PSI, around 5-6 stock. This allows more fuel to be burn with the air, creating more power. The same goes for cold air, which is more dense, thereby allowing it to react with more fuel in the combustion chamber, creating more power.

The MAS is a senor that uses a heated rod and some kind of computing formula based on the temperature the rod maintains to determine the amount of air being sucked into the engine at a given time. It then sends a signal tot he ecu that the ecu reads and determines how much fuel to inject into the combustion chamber at that given moment.

Removing the filter is not a good thing to do, its there for a reason. If you take the filter out, you will gain power for a short period, then all the particles flowing into the engine will slowly reduce it's power by fowling the MAF and damaging critical components.
    2007 E350 Sport
    1999 C230 Komp. with exhaust.