Thread: acceleration

acceleration

cmon this car cant be so weak

I have a 1994 c280

when Im driving behind someone and they slow down to make a right turn for example, I have to slow down as well, I slow down lo like 20 mph

so now I have so speed up but I step on the peddall all the way and it takes my car like 5 seconds to start speeding up

do you push the kickdown button?, i had mine replaced cuz it was broken, check it out. cuz my 1994 c280 rapes at passing

kickdown button???

wheres that located??

i feel you predrag, same with my 94 c280. best time to hear our engines roar is at a stoplight and u just floor the pedal. but when im passing there is a 5 sec delay.

its the black button under the pedal. when you go full throttle, push the pedal down further until you push that button down, you wil feel it shift or "kickdown" and accelerate way faster because of the gearchange. you should be able to push the button down with your hand under the gas pedal to see if it works. otherwise you may need a new one. try it on a high way on ramp. its my favorite pastime!!!

what? theres a button under the accelerator pedal? thanks for the tip ill check it out in the morning.oh and btw im guessing u would need to go to the dealer to pick up a new button.

ya these older transmissions have a really long response time, I drive an 07' C230 almost all day long and I love how they respond much more quickly then the W202's.
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

Originally posted by RemoLexi
    ya these older transmissions have a really long response time, I drive an 07' C230 almost all day long and I love how they respond much more quickly then the W202's.
    psssh..show off

there is a button but when I press it with my hand it pops back out

there is a button but when I press it with my hand it pops back out
    LOL!

thats good it means it works! yeah you can get em at the dealership for around 20bucks. mine actually didn't have anything to push down, so i got a new one.

I like my response time

Lightbulb

Get nitrous.

well Its stupid that I have to floor it to get some responce

Try Cleaning your MAF sensor. That could help. Atleast its not a bad issue like worn out clutch packs or whatever links to the flywheel in an automatic.
    2007 E350 Sport
    1999 C230 Komp. with exhaust.

if you guys would build a cold air intake like I did, you will alleviate this problem ...no one seems to believe me...just remember the crossover pipe is the key piece in all of this to getting more free-flowing air.

Originally posted by OCKlasse
    if you guys would build a cold air intake like I did, you will alleviate this problem ...no one seems to believe me...just remember the crossover pipe is the key piece in all of this to getting more free-flowing air.
    ive done that ... now another member is using my setup (Sacc230)

It did improve response but I mean its just an intake so dont expect 50HP but it is still a good way to improve the response. I also set him up with the M104 fuel injecters I got from OmeyHomey and the combination with CAI worked great!
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)

i think you expect way too much out of the c280. its not a race car. i mean whats the 0-60? like 8 seconds? a toyota camry these days is 6.1 seconds. if you want a faster car. get something else. i have a 1997 c280 and i like just curizing around. obviously i dont expect to make fast passes or accelerate fast. our cars are weak in the performance area but mercedes arent exactly known for their performance besides amg.

earlier today i made a left turn, and right after i straightened the wheel i hit the gas and momentarely broke traction and took off pretty damn fast!!. my car is definatly fast enough for me. i want to get o 0-60 timer like a g-tech to test my c280 out.

Originally posted by OCKlasse
    cant u just wrap that pipe in some sort of high temperature wrap of some sort and maybe it'll repel some of the engine heat?

I donno what you guys are carrying on about...if you slow down to 20, the car's only gonna kick down to 2nd gear, unless you use the kick-down switch, where the car will shift back to first gear and you WILL wheelspin!! Try the pulling power/torque in most other cars at 20 in 2nd gear and compare it to the 280...I donno what more you want to expect from a 200hp car???

That whole "the older gearboxes shift slower than the new ones" is absolute crap!! My gearbox shifts instantaneously!! And after 180 000 miles of hard use!!! It certainly shifts quicker than alot of the newer auto's i know!!!
    If you don\'t do it properly, don\'t waste our time!!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

Originally posted by C280/////AMG
    I donno what you guys are carrying on about...if you slow down to 20, the car's only gonna kick down to 2nd gear, unless you use the kick-down switch, where the car will shift back to first gear and you WILL wheelspin!! Try the pulling power/torque in most other cars at 20 in 2nd gear and compare it to the 280...I donno what more you want to expect from a 200hp car???

That whole "the older gearboxes shift slower than the new ones" is absolute crap!! My gearbox shifts instantaneously!! And after 180 000 miles of hard use!!! It certainly shifts quicker than alot of the newer auto's i know!!!
    crap huh ? yea okay I may be wrong since I have experianced this "delay" in my C230, C280 MAY be differnt but I highly doubt it!

to make it even , go test drive a stock C280 and an 06' C230 (V6 engine) these two cars are about the same amount of HP, but test drive them and you will see what im talking about. the newer transmissions are and will be more responsive if you dont believe me - too bad its a know fact since they are 6-gear automatic making them a closer ratio! how can you now say your C280 with what 4 or 5 gears (depending on the production year) is going to respond faster?
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)

Originally posted by chewiguy
    Get nitrous.
    No forged pistons, No Nitrous.........
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

Originally posted by RemoLexi
    to make it even , go test drive a stock C280 and an 06' C230 (V6 engine) these two cars are about the same amount of HP, but test drive them and you will see what im talking about. the newer transmissions are and will be more responsive if you dont believe me - too bad its a know fact since they are 6-gear automatic making them a closer ratio! how can you now say your C280 with what 4 or 5 gears (depending on the production year) is going to respond faster?
    I've driven the current C180k, C230 (2.5 V6 coupe), E500, the SLK32, and the current SLK55 recently. the AMG's have a slightly quicker shift, however the new gearboxes are the same, if not slower than my box! I know they have the adaptive system which adapts to your driving style, but the E500, which is usually driven quite fast was only MARGINALLY faster than mine. the C230 was way slower.

In Fact, i actually riced against my friend's C230k sport coupe and i beat him by a car length and a bit by 120 km/h!

So no, i don't think our gearboxes are slow and weak

P.S. Don't take offence, sometimes i get a bit excited when i speak...many people take it the wrong way
    If you don\'t do it properly, don\'t waste our time!!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

C280 ALL THE WAY!!! i really want to race this guys 06 c230 sport with the 6sp auto, lives down the street, i think ill beat him, ive got more torque. and im way cooler anyways,lol
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11