Thread: goodrich stainless steel brake lines on sale

goodridge stainless steel brake lines on sale

anyone have these. they are on sale at tirerack.com, i was wondering if these were worth the 60 bucks and if they were easy to install, and what would i gain out of having these?

I like them.
    Not hard to install either. Change the brake fluid it's probably time anyway. Just make sure you have a place to dispose of the brake fluid.

$60 is a good price. Go for it.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

-------------------------
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

You may want to check your local laws. But many states will fail you come inspection time, because SS lines are not legal for road use.
    I have installed those lines on a few vettes, during restores. I cannot say they improved braking by themselves as I also added slotted, drilled & zinc plated rotors at the same time.
    The pics are not MB related but in the "new parts" pic you can see the SS lines.
    When the 1st comes around I am going to be ordering new lines, brakes, & some odds & ends for my 202. I do have full confidence in those lines.

1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

thanks guys. is it hard to change the brake fluid? could i do it with normal hand tools or do i need special ones?

Obviously can't hurt to check your local laws. But why would SS lines be illegal? I've never heard of it. But then again, I never heard of anyone failing inspection for "sharp edges" till it happened to me on my poor 201.

These particular ones claim DOT approved blah, blah, blah. So unless they fail SS on principle these should be ok.

I was hoping one of the guys who do this for a living might chime in but here it goes from a non-pro.
    Open the reservior cap and one caliper drain at a time. Let the tank empty mostly before filling it with new stuff. I managed to drain about 20-24 fl oz. out of the system using nothing more that a wrench to open the caliper drains. What came out looked like maple syrup in its color. (hey, I just got the car) It takes some time to let it drain all the way thru, but it did run clear eventually. Let it go till it runs bubble free and preferably clear (no color).

HINT: When the old line is disconnected, tighten the SS line into the caliper first. SS doesn't twist much so you'll have to rotate the caliper and the line to tighten it back onto the metal line coming off your ABS pump.

23K is asking about the same thing. I was also concerned with a reservior tank or the ABS pump not draining completely etc. I didn't seem to run into this. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe it's not really an issue for my car.

Definitely err on the side of safety. I've had a pro do the brakes once and air got into the system. Let me tell you that is NO FUN. Foot goes to the floor and you lose confidence in your brakes for quite a time afterwards. That was a fluke I know, but anyone can miss something.

If you have confidence in your skills, you can do this no problem. Technically it's not hard, but they are the brakes after all.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

WOW! thanks for the great info, yeah they are brakes, maybe if i get the ss line ill take it into the shop at my dads work and see if they can do it for me. what type of fluid would you guys recommend, i go autocrossing once in a while and i drive like im autocrossing all the time(what can i say turning fast is awesome in a benz) maybe ill change the pads too, to something with more bite.

For cars with ABS, using a power bleeder is the best way to do a complete fluid flush, not merely a brake bleed. Using about 12-15 psi (some DIY guys use the air from the spare tire to provide the air pressure) pushing fresh brake fluid from the bleeder into the reservoir does the job . The Motive bleeder is a pretty good deal.

1985 2.3E
    1985 2.3-16
    1999 C280

Ebay has them for C36...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...spagenameZWDVW

dunno how good they are but they look legit.

thanks alot for the info!
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins