Thread: CAI installed!

CAI installed!

Installed my CAI today, used an AEM dryflow filter, sounds great!
    Here are some pics.

this pipe is a 3" pipe that I bought from autozone. The size and bend on it is almost perfect for this car.

I ran into a little problem during installation, turns out that the MAF is 2.75" in diamater, not the 3" I expected, so I had to get a friend to take me back to autozone to get an adapter.

On the other side of this is a 6in pipe with a 22 degree bend, which I also got from autozone, this 6" is then connected to the AEM filter.

The color of the the filter makes it hard to see

Oh yeah, to get the filter in the place you want (inside the bumper), your gunna need to remove this piece, its pretty simple. Just unbolt the bolt, and unscrew the 2 screws inside the wheel well. There are also a few bolts under the bumper. Once the bolts are out, and piece is off, you will have a big opening to work with.

Re: CAI installed!

Originally posted by kevinzorz
    Installed my CAI today, used an AEM dryflow filter, sounds great!
    Here are some pics.

this pipe is a 3" pipe that I bought from autozone. The size and bend on it is almost perfect for this car.

I ran into a little problem during installation, turns out that the MAF is 2.75" in diamater, not the 3" I expected, so I had to get a friend to take me back to autozone to get an adapter.

On the other side of this is a 6in pipe with a 22 degree bend, which I also got from autozone, this 6" is then connected to the AEM filter.

The color of the the filter makes it hard to see

Oh yeah, to get the filter in the place you want (inside the bumper), your gunna need to remove this piece, its pretty simple. Just unbolt the bolt, and unscrew the 2 screws inside the wheel well. There are also a few bolts under the bumper. Once the bolts are out, and piece is off, you will have a big opening to work with.

thank me later. :bunny:

also: do the crossover pipe, you'll notice a difference in throttle response after doing it!

i love you

so how much did this run you? the crossover pipe is the pipe that runs over the engine cover right?

i bought the filter on ebay for 50 bucks, the pipes and stuff were a bit expensive being that i bought them from autozone; that large pipe, the one going coming off the MAF was 40 bucks, and it came with a coupler. the 6" pipe was 10 bucks, and I paid 6 bucks for an additional coupler, so... 50+40+10+6 = 106
    ... this took me just over an hour to do, pretty simple

nice job, looks really good. you could also remove that snorkle thing that goes into the stock airbox that is connected to the left of your right headlight. lol
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

Kevin, Of all the intakes I have seen so far on club202, your attempt has been the best by a long shot. Excellent design. One thing I would have done is gotten a black silicone connector and then sanded down the tubing and painted it with black engine enamel to make it all look OEM as possible. Other then that as far as design is concerned its great. Fantastic job.

P.S. Crosover pipe is the most restrictive part so you may want to do that as well.

thanks for the compliments! your making me blush.

couple question: If I do the crossover pipe, how can I prevent the engine from heating up the pipe too much.

Also, after installing this intake, I noticed that my engine temperature is running at about 10 degrees higher, is this normal?
    My engine temperature used to be at a constant 80 C no matter how hard I drive; but now its half way between the 2nd and 3rd bar, so about 90 C.

Omey: your OEM look idea is great!, I'll definetly do it, that along with the crossover pipe. I'll have pictures up as soon as I do it. (with the help of OCKlasse of course)

Originally posted by kevinzorz
    thanks for the compliments! your making me blush.

couple question: If I do the crossover pipe, how can I prevent the engine from heating up the pipe too much.

Also, after installing this intake, I noticed that my engine temperature is running at about 10 degrees higher, is this normal?
    My engine temperature used to be at a constant 80 C no matter how hard I drive; but now its half way between the 2nd and 3rd bar, so about 90 C.

Omey: your OEM look idea is great!, I'll definetly do it, that along with the crossover pipe. I'll have pictures up as soon as I do it. (with the help of OCKlasse of course)
    One option is to have it ceramic coated ($$$). Black engine enamel will help keep some of the heat out. I would go with a semi-gloss or gloss Duplicolor black engine enamel, it can withstand head up to 500F and looks very nice. The silicone coupler can be found on ebay for like $10 for a nice 3-4 ply turbo style intake coupler (seller SiliconeIntakes).

your engine is running alittle hotter b/c intake adds more air to the mixture making it run alittle leaner (hence making more horsepower). if you want to compensate just add a 80C Thermostat from a W140 V8 to compensate (stock M104 thermostat is set to 88C).

Ya i'd recommend Duplicolor. Just sand with a 320-400 grit sand paper to get rid of the shiny coating, then clean with some windex (or any amonia based cleaner). Then spray on 2-3 layers of the black engine enamel (1 can should be enough to to everything easily) and let it try. Simple as that

hope that helps

Looks great, and i'm sure t sounds awesome too! Now post some videos and remove the snorkel...you don't need it anymore
    If you don\'t do it properly, don\'t waste our time!!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

great looking intake.. kudos
    97 C280 RIP 09-14-07 killed by a reckless rice rocket jetta (I just try and remember the good times)

***C43***

Clear Corners, ss oil filter, avantgrade grill, sport pedals, clk door pins

ok i don't wanna sound dumb here but your saying replacing the plastic crossover pipe on the left side of the engine where the MAF sensor is? (oh wait your talking a c280 here, i have the kompressor) do you put a bigger pipe ? i guess if i see some pictures ill understand ...so post them hehehe since my CAI will be getting done soon i want to maximize all possibilities

Originally posted by Logic
    ok i don't wanna sound dumb here but your saying replacing the plastic crossover pipe on the left side of the engine where the MAF sensor is? (oh wait your talking a c280 here, i have the kompressor) do you put a bigger pipe ? i guess if i see some pictures ill understand ...so post them hehehe since my CAI will be getting done soon i want to maximize all possibilities
    youuuuuuu dipstick lmfao jp, didn't you notice no bypass valve. Did the guy take any pics yet?
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

good guide i followed and converted my short ram to a cold air thanks man

thats great to hear! thanks