Thread: Shifting down "manually"

Shifting down "manually"

Hi guys

I dont know where to post this thread exactly. So please forgive me if post it in the wrong section.

I tried a driving technique the other day. Instead of using the kickdown button (which takes about 3-5 sec to shift down), I shift the gear lever manually. For example, when I'm cruising around in 4th gear and I need to overtake the car in front, I move the gear lever to 2nd. The car respons better than waiting for the kickdown.

my question is, will this technique damage the car in the long run? What are the downsides of this?

Re: Shifting down "manually"

Originally posted by blackc230
    Hi guys

I dont know where to post this thread exactly. So please forgive me if post it in the wrong section.

I tried a driving technique the other day. Instead of using the kickdown button (which takes about 3-5 sec to shift down), I shift the gear lever manually. For example, when I'm cruising around in 4th gear and I need to overtake the car in front, I move the gear lever to 2nd. The car respons better than waiting for the kickdown.

my question is, will this technique damage the car in the long run? What are the downsides of this?
    search. search. search.

...but I'll answer anyway because I'm a nice guy It's fine, just realize that you are putting a little extra stress on the transmission i.e. don't do it all the time.

yeah. i do that sometimes when i need to slow down a little quicker. it's like you're down shifting. not great for your tranny though.

OG Moderator
    >>which takes about 3-5 sec to shift down<<

I would find out why your kickdown switch isn't working right. It is fairly common for the switch itself to go bad. Do a search for more information.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

I'l respond to this only because I have not responded to any earlier discussion of this topic.

I myself love to do this because it seems that when I leave my car in "D" I never have the response that I want. I'm sure a lot of you feel this way too. As far as downshifting manually goes, I have talked to many people on this issue and if you perform this "technique" regularly, you will put much strain on your tranny. I guess if you do it once and a blue moon you shouldn't have problems, but then again, im no mechanic...
    :banana:2000 Mercedes-Benz C280 Sport:banana:

20% Tints All Around
    Euro Clear Corners
    AMG Hood/Trunk Emblems
    Avantgarde Grille

-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-

H&R Cup Kit
    Magnaflow Muffler
    AMS Crank Pulley

I do it all the time, literally all the time.
    I've heard it's a good idea to do it sometimes (but not all the time) cos it clears up certain oil passages and valves in the gearbox. i don't inderstand what strain it could place on the tranny tho, i mean if it's designed to take the forces it should be fine

Funny you should ask, i've just broken the plastic bush which stabilises the gear lever...but after 270 000kms, i'm not complaining. besides, it's costing me R180 (about $25) to replace it...parts and labour together and it's not a special price.
    If you don\'t do it properly, don\'t waste our time!!

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

Yup, I do it all the time too, especially when taking it for a good thrash in the twisties, you dont have any control in corners if you leave it in D
    1995 C36 ///AMG

Ok, i've searched as well as i know how, and can't find anything on this topic...(shifting manually puts strain on the tranny). could someone please steer me in the right direction?

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

The gears are engineered to operate in a certain MPH/TQ range.

If you are going 80MPH it is obviously NOT a good idea to downshift into 2nd because the torque convertor & trans gears are designed to be operated at that speed/load.
    Every trans is different a TH350 does not operate the same as a powerglide, A C4 does not operate the same a FMX, ect...
    You need to get to know your car & where it's shift points are. If you have it full throttle & the car shifts out of 2nd at 45mph then logic tells you NOT to downshift to 2nd at anything above 45mph( & not to exceed that speed in said gear).
    One bad thing that will come of overrevving the engine not in a proper gear is...a blown engine. Forget the trans, the engine will not last.
    You you can drive around town, downshifting & upshifting all day....as long as you keep it within it's limits.

Like everyone here knows( whether they realize it or not EVERYONE knows this).
    When something is operated outside of it's operating range for too long, there is only one outcome.....
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

Originally posted by Espresso
    The gears are engineered to operate in a certain MPH/TQ range.

If you are going 80MPH it is obviously NOT a good idea to downshift into 2nd because the torque convertor & trans gears are designed to be operated at that speed/load.
    Every trans is different a TH350 does not operate the same as a powerglide, A C4 does not operate the same a FMX, ect...
    You need to get to know your car & where it's shift points are. If you have it full throttle & the car shifts out of 2nd at 45mph then logic tells you NOT to downshift to 2nd at anything above 45mph( & not to exceed that speed in said gear).
    One bad thing that will come of overrevving the engine not in a proper gear is...a blown engine. Forget the trans, the engine will not last.
    You you can drive around town, downshifting & upshifting all day....as long as you keep it within it's limits.

Like everyone here knows( whether they realize it or not EVERYONE knows this).
    When something is operated outside of it's operating range for too long, there is only one outcome.....
    kablamo?

Generally, transmission won't let you downshift to a gear that is outside of it's bounds. It simply won't do it until the governer reaches a particular speed. It's still a good idea to be smart about it though. You'll probably only end up wearing out your shifter bushings faster but that's about it.

2012 535i
    2005 545i - Retired
    1994 C280 - Retired

Originally posted by BoominBenz
    Generally, transmission won't let you downshift to a gear that is outside of it's bounds.
    not true... i shifted to 2nd gear at 140kmh...luckily i realised in time and shifted back before she hit the red line...

btw, got my gearbox bush fitted today...spoke to my mechanic ( a 50 y old german guy)and he said manual downshifting causes no harm at all

The C280

1995 C280
    1987 MK2 GTi 1800 8v

it may not cause "harm" to the transmission, but I guarantee it's not great for it. I used to do it when driving agressively through the hill country on a cruiise or something, but I wouldn't do it on a regular basis as it will probably cause premature wear on the tranny.
    2011 Audi A3 2.0T Quattro S. Tronic Ti Package
    APR FMIC
    APR Stage II Software
    Carbonio Intake
    B&B Turboback Exhaust

2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT (Sold)
    1999 C 280 Sport (Sold)
    1995 C 280 (Sold)

Maybe it's different on other years. I have a C220 94' and if I'm doing 50mph and shift into second it'll be like I didn't do anything. Like the transmission knows it's not supposed to downshift to second at that speed. If I'm at a slower speed and downshift to 2nd it will kick in. Funny how some work and some dont.

shifter bushing ...

Flex disk maybe too ? you can feel a little yanking when it downshifts i suppose that stresses the flex disk.
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)