Thread: CAI Heat Shield

CAI Heat Shield

Hello everyone

I have just recently purchased the weapon*r secret weapon Intake for my 00 C280 w/ v6. I have decided that I don't want to relocate the filter to my bumper (i get a LOT of rain and puddles where I live). Also, I dont wan't to leave the filter in the engine bay cuz we all know the ngine bayz on 202's are hot as hell, atleast not protected. Which leaves me to the point of this post in the first place. I've seen 1 or 2 members with heat shields around their filter (probably AEM filter) and weapon*r does sell a heat shield, just one thats not for our vehicle.

Should I buy a heat shield for another car and custom it to fit my car? If so, then how will I know which car to select that has a similar engine bay to the 202. Or should I just fab a heat shield up altogether?? Butwhat material is a heatshield in the first place?? It's caertainly not aluminum (atleast i don't think so)

ANY help on this matter would be extremely appreciated, and since I work at a pizzeria, I'll even fedex a pizza to you if it turns out well, or working for that matter... regards
    :banana:2000 Mercedes-Benz C280 Sport:banana:

20% Tints All Around
    Euro Clear Corners
    AMG Hood/Trunk Emblems
    Avantgarde Grille

-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-%-

H&R Cup Kit
    Magnaflow Muffler
    AMS Crank Pulley

maybe you could use your stock airbox as a heatshield? just add some more insulation, and cut a big whole on the bottom so that cold air could get in from that opening. Leaving the stock snorkel thingy in could allow more cold air to get in.

where in LI do u live at?

Hmmmm that sounds like it could work, but I don't know if my filter would fit in the airbox, i'll have to take some measurements

Originally posted by Green Lantern
    where in LI do u live at?
    Syosset area

20% Tints All Around
    Euro Clear Corners
    AMG Hood/Trunk Emblems
    Avantgarde Grille

H&R Cup Kit
    Magnaflow Muffler
    AMS Crank Pulley

It might work but that just defeats the purpose of it all if you’re using the air box. You'll probably have to make your own heat shield. I recommend going to home depot by some sheet metal, rent a cutter, drill, and a circular cutter (what ever the inches your pipe is) if you don’t have it, some brackets, bolts, nuts, and find some card board. My intake is in the bumper and I have a 23k, and the only thing I’m worried about is if there’s about 8 inches of water somewhere. I say put it in the bump and get a AEM water Bypass, because your gonna spend a lot of money trying to fab up that heat shield.
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

all it is is sheet metal? and whats the cardboard for?

20% Tints All Around
    Euro Clear Corners
    AMG Hood/Trunk Emblems
    Avantgarde Grille

H&R Cup Kit
    Magnaflow Muffler
    AMS Crank Pulley

Originally posted by C280_Spawrt
    all it is is sheet metal? and whats the cardboard for?

Your using the cardboard as a stencil it'll save you alot of sheetmetal!!!!

cru your my hero....we think so alike its scary LOL ...i m getting mine put in the bumper but not as low , the guy doing mine is going to make some kinda channel which routes the air to it so its not so low even tho he is going to install a aem water bypass.. its going to be done in about 2 weeks, since i m going on vacation ill try to see if he will take pictures , if not ill take some when its done DES

Originally posted by Logic
    cru your my hero....we think so alike its scary LOL ...i m getting mine put in the bumper but not as low , the guy doing mine is going to make some kinda channel which routes the air to it so its not so low even tho he is going to install a aem water bypass.. its going to be done in about 2 weeks, since i m going on vacation ill try to see if he will take pictures , if not ill take some when its done DES
    Well ur's will probly come out better then mine, given the fact it was my 1st time welding something EVER lol. My car should come outta the body shop, and then its gonna get painted finally (i'll post pics tonight)

damn was the damage that bad? its been 2 weeks since the car was hit? whats taking so long

Originally posted by Logic
    damn was the damage that bad? its been 2 weeks since the car was hit? whats taking so long
    i duno but IM LOVING THE MPG ON THE FORD FOCUS