Thread: turning a C180 Into a C36 Help!!

turning a C180 Into a C36 Help!!

i have got a engine with gearbox and all parts you need to put in the car, and its gonna sit around for a year untill insurance drops and i need to know what other parts il need, will i need to change the exhaust if what what how and how much lol...

any help apriciated

thanks

There is alot more than just the engine. You will need all the computers and drive line. All throttle linkages and vaccume lines. Really its probably not even worth it..

sell everything, work for a while.
    and just buy a C36.

it's really pointless turning a stock 180 into a 180 chasis with a 3.6 engine.
    your suspension, sway bars, everything will be (sort of) incompatible with the chasis on the 180.

either way, save up. and just get a c43.
    1995 W202 C220 | 50,xxxkm | From Burgundy Red, to 650 Calcite White | H&R Cup Kit | 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Work Varianza T1S, 18" 8.5 & 10 AMG Monoblock | Falken 452 | Avantgarde Grill | Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H1 & H3 | Goodridge SS lines | R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors | K&N 57i CAI | Remus Exhaust

Keep the parts, sell the 180 and buy a C36. With a spare C36 engine and gearbox you will be bullet-proof!

il neversell the 180, never will but this guy has seid hes including everything ecu radior etc soo is it still a no go..a lot of negative folk on this forum is it cos im knockin up a AMG at 19???

AMG invested a huge amoumt of engineering expertise and work in modifying a C280 off the Mercedes factory production line to build the C36.

Of course you can turn a C180 into a C36. But the number of unique AMG parts and the effort required is an enormous undertaking.

I think that most folks here feel that the time, effort and expense involved would be far greater than just buying a used C36.

However, having said that, there is nothing to stop you having a go. If you feel you want to do it, then just go for it. Good luck with your project!

Originally posted by Section 8
    il neversell the 180, never will but this guy has seid hes including everything ecu radior etc soo is it still a no go..a lot of negative folk on this forum is it cos im knockin up a AMG at 19???
    buddy, no one here has any problem with u trying to better your car. one of our youngest members here had not reached legal driving age when he joined, so it's got nothing to do with age either. i believe that all the fellow members here are saying that it is a difficult task to execute, and it can be financially draining, more so than getting a c36 from the start. however, if u do want to proceed, u will have supporters from members here in this club. paul(23K)'s turbo c230 project is a very good example of that.
    good luck.

Another reason to get a C36 instead of attempting to upgrade to one, resale value. If you upgrade and try to sell it, you will not get the premium you would with a real C36. Also, as others have already said, it will cost you a fortune to try an upgrade. Best of wishes to you if you attempt it, but your money would be better spent elsewhere.

Originally posted by Section 8
    I hate to say this.
    The 180 is hopeless. The 202's themselves are worthless here in hong kong. Even the C36's costs around 6000-6500 USD. Don't even talk 180.

Save up, buy your self a Used 36. Modding a 180 is a pathetic idea, and your absolutely dumping money into sea.

Don't take it personally, it's just reality in hong kong.

Sure, you could argue that youre in the US. But still, my point is that these cars are just cheap nowadays.
    1995 W202 C220 | 50,xxxkm | From Burgundy Red, to 650 Calcite White | H&R Cup Kit | 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Work Varianza T1S, 18" 8.5 & 10 AMG Monoblock | Falken 452 | Avantgarde Grill | Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H1 & H3 | Goodridge SS lines | R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors | K&N 57i CAI | Remus Exhaust

I say let him do it and see what happens. Little reverse psychology never hurt anybody.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

also
    to make your car safe with the c36 engine (much heavier and more powerful)
    you will also need to upgrade the suspension (the c36 comes with heavier springs shocks and sway bars)
    and upgrade the brake system to something similar to the c36 to slow you down.
    and i beleive the c36 also had chassis strengthening? < am i right here guys?

so to get all the parts you need youl need a whole doner car

theres no haters round here, just realistic people who know how un-necessarily massssive that job would be....
    -Logan-

I agree 100% you might as well sell the C180 and get a C36 for $6-8k USD. Hope that helps.

Simple awnser is this.

You cannot turn a car into something it is not. It is titled as a C180, so it will always be a C180.
    Also before even thinking about doing something like this. Think of reselling it.
    What would you like to sell it for? Would YOU buy it at the price you set. Would you even consider buying a completely hacked C180 that is "upgraded" to a C36(think of buying replacement parts, ect..)? You have to do this as you being a BUYER of this car, not yourself.
    You can only insure it as a C180, then you have the legalities of resaling something with a drivetrain that is not legal to the car. So inspections & insurance payouts(god-forbid you need to), are a no go.
    If YOU think to yourself " I would not even think about it". Just think of what others would say.
    Before undertaking something like this. I always make up a fake ad, see what it looks like & if it appeals to people.
    A C180-C36 is only desirable to a VERY FEW select people & those looking for a C36, will not even think of buying a hack-job.
    Even though you say you will not sell it. You ALWAYS build a vehicle like this HAVING to think resale. This isnt a Chip Foose built car. It is a very basic & standard Mercedes.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

And in the end of the day, it will cost you a lot more overtime than buying the original thing (oh yeah). Plus you can always use the C36 parts you already own as spares if you buy a C36 car, or you can sell just them and fill the $$$ gap.

As a personal suggestion I would say to discuss it with your father because there are some things you might havent considered such as insurance costs and tax or whatever you guys got there. Always a pain in the ass.

The choice is yours, we... are here to HELP you.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC