Thread: small cylinder shape pocket on intake

small cylinder shape pocket on intake

i m going to get my CAI replaced here very soon and the person that is going to do it was asking what is that small cylinder pocket on the part that curves down near the fire wall..... from the air box goes to your 2 and 1/2 piece of plastic that curves from the box like a c and then it starts to curve down there it is ...whats that 4? its about 8 inchs long and about 1inch and a half wide ...... the car is a 1999 c230 kompressor sport.....
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

I believe I know what you are refering to. It is on the V6 also. But it has a molded clip that connects to the intake manifold. All it is, is a silencer. Just to quiet the intake flow a bit. Most auto manufactures have something of this sort. Some people say it is to "curb" the turbulance in the system( like what a BOV, CBV, ect. does when the throttle blades close) so the MAF does "reread the air"....the reason it is AFTER the MAF(to "catch" teh already metered air so to speak). But I have NEVER had any ill-effects for removing it on even a stock intake. Let alone completely removing it with a CAI.

Sorry it is a long winded reply. I just cannot find the right words righ tnow.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch

OG Moderator
    I think you need to post digital pictures so we can see exactly what you are talking about.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

ok makes sence..i think you hit it on the nose...thx for the info
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)