Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: c36 turbo?

c36 turbo?

Ok so I have looked around on here for someone having a turbo charged c36. I didnt find anything I was wondering why that is? The reason for this is that I was contiplating turboing my c36. I know a couple of local guys that can make me the IC piping and the exhaust manifold. Before I started on this little adventure I wanted to know why there arent any c36 turbos on here? Or if there is someone with one any help would be greatly appreciated.

jesus
    what sort of bhp gains are you looking at

i cant wait for this

im like you i wanna turbo my car "c280" but its very hard you probly saw my post. the reason is our cars have high compression ratio and if we wanna install a turbo we can only run like 3 or 4 psi of boost and we need fuel managment no one makes larger injectors or any type of ECU for turbos for our cars or even mercedes in general. Me and you have v6 its hard to put a turbo on the manafold so im looking for a rear mount turbo. but im still looking to turboing my car so buddy your not alone
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

http://www.turbobenz.com/

that thing is fucking bad asssss
    96 C36 ///AMG

c 36's are v6 right
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

straight 6 up to a certain year cant remeber what year then thay go v6

probly 98 because the 280 went v6 that year i think
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

Mine is a inline 6. The compression ratio is 10.5:1, I have seen guys around here that run turbos on their Integra Type R's without lowering the CR. I was only looking to run about 6-8 lbs of boost. I might look around for some different pistonheads to lower the CR down some.

In Charge
    To my knowledge, there have been two turbo 36's.

One is a twin turbo non-member, and the other is a single turbo friend of a member.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Yeah I just found those two on MBworld. I am gonna try and get some info from the single turbo guy.

Originally posted by Nelson Lago
    c 36's are v6 right
    Wrong! All C36's are Inline 6's. At least Mercedes ended their lineage of inline 6's on a high note.

Originally posted by stox
    Wrong! All C36's are Inline 6's. At least Mercedes ended their lineage of inline 6's on a high note.
    they surely did. all c36 are l6, then later was substituted by c43, v8

ya C36's were all I6 and discontinued in 97', 98 came out with the C43 (V8)
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

not hard, im building a stainless steel turbo manifold for my i6 m104 280 at the mo.
    run 5-8psi should be ok.
    i think c36 forged standard pistons, only real issue is head gasget
    single large turbo, intercooler to keep the charge air cool. you should be fine
    -Logan-

What about injectors? So you are saying that the c36 pistons should be ok?

Defiantly going to keep my eye on this one. HAHA. How i would love to turbo my 36...
    1996 C36

-blacked out grill
    -cold air intake
    -flat hood emblem
    -full custom bent exhaust
    -stereo things.

wow 1 page just to figure out if the c36 was inline six or v6

good luck
    taking a break from teh 202 ->

Originally posted by alphanumeric
    wow 1 page just to figure out if the c36 was inline six or v6

good luck
    gotta start somewhere .. LOL I can tell this will be a Loooooooong thread at this rate.
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

There have been many of us that have discussed adding a turbo to the inline-6, including the C36. But when it all comes down to it, there are several reasons that can explain why this doesn't happen often (if at all):

1) there are no kits readily available to turbo the C36. Mosselman makes one, but the term "readily available" is the key.

2) there are no long-term test-mules known of which can help answer questions regarding HP gains, reliabilty, installation issues, etc...

3) the cost of the turbo kits from mosselman are pricey. other turbo setups are usually one-off fabrications which leads to unknown costs as well as unknown territory.

4) the cost of replacing parts in the C36 I6 as well as transmission are expensive, so if anything goes wrong...you are looking at extraordinary repair costs.

Basically, it's not that nobody has thought of, or wanted to do this. But there's no convenient "proven" way to do this.

I know of one SF Bay area member (Rascel) who installed a Mosselman single turbo on his 1994 C280. It certainlyadded significant HP gains, but he also encountered an extremely long and difficult installation process where he had to creatively solve problems which were not expected.

Unfortunately in the end the car is no more due to problems I believe were related to the install.

Another member in the UK (Vinnay) turboed his C230 (I think it was a C230) and was probably the most successful mosselman single-turbo install. But for a reason he removed the kit after a while. It was then sold to another member (under pressure) who installed it on his C-class ( I forgot whoch model, but none were C36's) and reported great success...but once again...it was removed shortly after the install.

There was the infamous one-off twin-trubo C36 which had like over 500+ HP. But that engine blew shortly after.

And I recall a video from dubai where there was a turbo'd C36. But that car's owner and history is unknown.

So not to say it can't be done, but you are looking into unknown territory. I'd personally leave mine stock if you aren't interested in further expenses that are unknown such as increased mechanical wear and tear.

BUT, the spirit of this site is to tinker and improve the performance of your vehicle so if you hav ethe interest, then there's a lot of members that will no-doubt try and help you along the way.

And if successful, you'll no doubt be part of a really short list of known turbo'd C36's!

there is a guy in new york with a twintubo c36.

by the sounds of things it seems it would be wiser to search other areas to gain performance....

i dont like hearin all these AMGs getin wiped out lol

C55 Charter Member

Re: c36 turbo?

Originally posted by Corban Dallas
    Ok so I have looked around on here for someone having a turbo charged c36. I didnt find anything I was wondering why that is? The reason for this is that I was contiplating turboing my c36. I know a couple of local guys that can make me the IC piping and the exhaust manifold. Before I started on this little adventure I wanted to know why there arent any c36 turbos on here? Or if there is someone with one any help would be greatly appreciated.
    (ok, I dind't read the thread, so hope I'm not repeating anything)

Too bad you're not on the East Coast ... the guy that did my motor swap has one he built. Just lke I flew to Cali for a ride in speedybenz's car before buying his complete kit, you should fly over here to check his out before doing yours ... or BUY HIS!

He's presently in the process of moving -=everything=- to a new, straight, body. He built the engine for it to be turbo specific. Full Motec Stand-alone controller (not bottom of the line either). He's gotten something like 400hp or 450hp to the wheels I think? I have to check what his last trip to the dyno yielded.

Here's the thing. He needs money, and would prefer to keep his 500E, and needs to sell one of them. ...so why don't you buy this?!!

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by c280nz
    not hard, im building a stainless steel turbo manifold for my i6 m104 280 at the mo. ...only real issue is head gasget
    You said it, regarding the head gaskets. Let me know if you ever find someone who can make one that handles high boost.

You're probably well on your way, but from the guy who built the manifold for my mechanic (that you are looking @ in the pic below), he only uses stainless for NA exhaust. He uses a milder, but much thicker steel (I don't remember the gauge and name of it @ the moment), then completely nickle coats it, for all turbo manifolds. Cus'a the heat. Here's a few pics starting here in my image gallery documenting my engine swap @ the house of the guy who owns the Turbo'ed C36.
    Example:

C55 Charter Member
    Originally posted by Section 8
    by the sounds of things it seems it would be wiser to search other areas to gain performance....
    i dont like hearin all these AMGs getin wiped out lol
    That black car you see in the link I provided got totalled over the winter. It used to have a twin turbo in it. The "rich guy" who owned it totalled it soon after having it built. My mechanic rebuilt it from salvage. Front suspension was eating tires for as long as he had it. He's actually happy to be rebuilding the car in a new straight body. He's just about finishing-up the migration of -everything- to it (entire drivetrain, suspension, brakes, etc., not just engine).

Edit: There's actually a lot more then we who frequent forums think. Most of those folks aren't active on boards, so unless like in the case of the mechanic Carl turned me onto and he's a friend of someone active on boards, noone ever hears about them

Thanks for all of the input so far guys. I am not doing this looking for huge power gains. Also the guy that will(if I do this)be building the manifold and also most of the piping and such is VERY good at it.

The couple of things I am unsure of are the following:
    Injector size on my 95 c36(I am calling MB tomorrow though)
    ECU(if my ECU is tuneable or if I would need a new one)

I would also be replacing my pistonheads with new ones(same ones just new) and having a buddy take a look at the tranny and then giving the tranny a tuneup. I would of course being changing the tranny fluid very often if I do this turboing.

If anyone can put me into direct contact with someone that has done this then I would love you forever