Thread: Upholstery repair.

Thumbs up Upholstery repair.

Well, apparently the florida heat has finally taken its toll on some of my interior. About a month ago the sunroof cover peeled down a little bit... and now it is all pretty much peeled down. Does anyone know how much this is going to cost at an upholstery shop? I'm not sure whether I want the current cloth put back up there or replace it. If it gets replaced how much is it to just redo the entire roof interior?

BTW, i have already tried to fix it myself with 3M spray... did not work.

Re: Upholstery repair.

Originally posted by bikeman311
    Well, apparently the florida heat has finally taken its toll on some of my interior. About a month ago the sunroof cover peeled down a little bit... and now it is all pretty much peeled down. Does anyone know how much this is going to cost at an upholstery shop? I'm not sure whether I want the current cloth put back up there or replace it. If it gets replaced how much is it to just redo the entire roof interior?

BTW, i have already tried to fix it myself with 3M spray... did not work.
    Thats od, i hope mines doesn't do that, can i see pics
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

i'll get some tomorrow when its light outside. i got a can of spray that the military uses for upholstery work on airplanes... going to try that and then go get a quote.

had this problem probably 5 or 6 years ago?

i remember my parents bring it to the dealership and it costed a fortune.
    1995 W202 C220 | 50,xxxkm | From Burgundy Red, to 650 Calcite White | H&R Cup Kit | 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Work Varianza T1S, 18" 8.5 & 10 AMG Monoblock | Falken 452 | Avantgarde Grill | Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H1 & H3 | Goodridge SS lines | R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors | K&N 57i CAI | Remus Exhaust

Well when I got my headliner done I was qouted 200 dollars for the headliner and another 100 if i needed the slider done, I ended up going with a guy who sounded like he knew a little bit more about actually doing a 202 headliner and paid 275 and another 100 if i had wanted to do the slider(I didn't need the slider redone as it was already redone before by previous owner). Just call around and haggle, but if the guy I took mine too wasn't lieing to me it is a bitch of a job and should find someone with a bit of experience, but I guess you don't own your own upholstery shop if you don't know how to do it.

Mine is hosed too. The dealer tried to fix it with glue and all of the fabric is now coming undone. They estimated it would be about $500 to replace the part.

Daaaaaamn!

I've been trying to find a replacement here and online. No luck anywhere.

There is a cheap way of solving the problem. The result goes from lousy to acceptable, depending how many times you do it. Remove the sunroof liner, and clean all the foam that stays glued. Then paint it with a mix of aluminium and white paint.
    I was afraid to spray the paint and used a foam roll . Do it several times. If you think the result is no good, you still can go to the upholstery shop.
    Paulo Kropsch
    Rio de Janeiro-Brazil

I had my roof & sun roof re-done.. $160. Parts and labor.. Looks like new..
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

I am not in the USA..
    \"There\'s a war out there, old friend, a world war. And it\'s not about who\'s got the most bullets, it\'s about who controls the information.\"

Cosmo - Sneakers

is your headliner cloth or vinyl, mine is vinyl, sagging a tad now

I think it's vinyl. I'm talking mostly about the sunshade. The headliner is otherwise fine.

Unhappy

So sad. Mine started as a sag too... now look at it. Also, upon closer inspection the roof liner in the back is starting to sag. Looks like this will be an all in one job once i get it done.

From what I understand our headliner boards are one piece and are brought in through the windshield before it is installed, so taking it out is a bitch becasue i must be folded, then after refinishing must be folded again (wrinkling the new fabric) and then after installed steamed to get the wrinkles out. At least thats what was supposedly did to mine. I've got pics of my headliner falling and redone in the gallery.

If thats cloth don't even bother, just find some vinly that matches the color of your car and use some really good adhesive. I think it would hold up alot better. The only problem i see is taking that bit*h. It looks like you have to drop the whole headliner.
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

I checked and the sunroof visor is actually covered in cloth...

Well, after the back of the roofliner started coming down... it came down fast. it took about three days to go from a corner hanging down to only seeing out 1/2 the back window.

i got two estimates. one over the phone for $550 and the one i used from a little local hole in the wall for $375. needless to say, $375 later i've got a new roofliner that matches the sun visors pretty well. it is cloth, not the vinyl that was originally there, but i like it.

I got the same problem but I'm getting it redone in black leather tomorrow for free!!!

Mine did the same thing, what a sticky mess. I had some flat black formica and cut a piece to fit and riveted and glued it in, looks great for minimal cost

I still have some of that orange goo to clean off
    Jeff

What a dull world it would be if we were all clones......

I see this is an older thread, but has good info so I thought I would add.

Originally posted by Benzon
    From what I understand our headliner boards are one piece and are brought in through the windshield before it is installed, so taking it out is a bitch becasue i must be folded, then after refinishing must be folded again (wrinkling the new fabric) and then after installed steamed to get the wrinkles out. At least thats what was supposedly did to mine. I've got pics of my headliner falling and redone in the gallery.
    Not really true(well true when it is being built). I got mine out through the front passenger door with NO folding. Just put the seat all the way back & down. And the shifter all the way back. It's a tight fit but no creasing or folding is nessessary.
    I've had it out 3 times trying to fix the original fabric,, but to no avail(the foam was just too bad). I now just picked up some black suede & will hopefully have it finished this weekend.
    1989 240sx
    Driftbitch