Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HIDS Plus Headlights

jstrat85, are you using HIDs on your bumper fogs too?

Halogen to HID Xenon Headlight conversion

Replacing the factory Halogen Low Beam H7 bulbs with a HID conversion kit gets the brighter light advantage of real Xenon, but apparently a poor beam pattern.

My question is:
    Is the reflector the problem, or the lens, or both?

I DO know that there are different lenses for W202's Halogen vs Xenon, so I'm wondering (hopefully) if just the Halogen Lenses can be replaced with the HID/Xenon Lenses in order to correct the beam pattern after installing a HID kit.

Anyone know if the Lenses are inter-changeable?

Anyone know if the Lenses alone will correct the beam pattern after installing a HID kit?

Here are some kit sources:
    http://www.xenonlink.com/product_inf...products_id=68
    http://www.xenoneyes.com/index.php?page=hidkits
    http://hid-sin.com/4300k.htm
    http://vvme.com/ via eBay: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZflashplus
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

Re: Halogen to HID Xenon Headlight conversion

Originally posted by Kropf
    Replacing the factory Halogen Low Beam H7 bulbs with a HID conversion kit gets the brighter light advantage of real Xenon, but apparently a poor beam pattern.

My question is:
    Is the reflector the problem, or the lens, or both?

I DO know that there are different lenses for W202's Halogen vs Xenon, so I'm wondering (hopefully) if just the Halogen Lenses can be replaced with the HID/Xenon Lenses in order to correct the beam pattern after installing a HID kit.

Anyone know if the Lenses alone will correct the beam pattern after installing a HID kit?

Here are a couple kit sources:
    http://www.xenonlink.com/product_inf...products_id=68
    http://hid-sin.com/4300k.htm
    I've thought about this also. I'm sure that the lenses would fit with little to no work, but the reflectors on the inside of the casing would also probably need to be changed. I'm assuming to switch the exterior lenses is as simple as heating up headlights until they can be opened up and then swapped.

Someone who actually has completed a custom headlight retrofit can probably chime in.
    2000 C230 Kompressor Sport

Originally posted by cfourthree
    OC - dude your car is fresh as hell.
    +1

Originally posted by chaddeus
    ... I'm assuming to switch the exterior lenses is as simple as heating up headlights until they can be opened up and then swapped. ...
    I think there are only clips holding the lens to the assembly (no heat required).
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)

Those eBay crystals with HID included are NOT JAMMED IN. My friend's owned a set of eBay A4 headlights and they come like that. They're HID mount friendly. On the sides of the seals, there are outlets for the HID kit wires to pass through.

I have purchased an HID kit off eBay, but the seller is from the original company. The kit is from VVME LLC. The kit was about 72$ shipped. I used my OEM headlight housing, yes I know some of you may say something but please don't, and they're fine. There were no codes that came up nor any electrical problems causing the dash lights to flicker as previous users experienced.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it currently. It's been raining and all. I'll update ASAP.

For those of you who would like to get a set, this is where I got mine. http://myworld.ebay.com/flashplus/

This seller & kit is well known over in the Audi forums. Also, couple of my friends own this kit and so far no problems.
    1997 C280 Sport

Re: Re: Halogen to HID Xenon Headlight conversion

I think there are only clips holding the lens to the assembly (no heat required).
    Ahh, in that case. Seems like an easy swap for OEM. But you would still have the internal reflector/beam focus issue.

Originally posted by 97C28O
    Those eBay crystals with HID included are NOT JAMMED IN. My friend's owned a set of eBay A4 headlights and they come like that. They're HID mount friendly. On the sides of the seals, there are outlets for the HID kit wires to pass through.

I have purchased an HID kit off eBay, but the seller is from the original company. The kit is from VVME LLC. The kit was about 72$ shipped. I used my OEM headlight housing, yes I know some of you may say something but please don't, and they're fine. There were no codes that came up nor any electrical problems causing the dash lights to flicker as previous users experienced.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it currently. It's been raining and all. I'll update ASAP.

For those of you who would like to get a set, this is where I got mine. http://myworld.ebay.com/flashplus/

This seller & kit is well known over in the Audi forums. Also, couple of my friends own this kit and so far no problems.
    Good to know.

As for the blinding problem, I hardly sweat it. Most of the time I'm blinded by large trucks (big rigs and/or lifted trucks) anyway.

They are!
    (I had a cracked Xenon lens laying around, and I just mounted it on my Halogen housing. A simple job - 2 Phillips screws and 6 snap off/on clips. Also mounted a set of Clear Corners after a little Dremel work to make room for the larger housing.)

I'll know that soon... I just ordered a HID kit from VVME via eBay.

I also took some photos of the C280 Sport's OEM Xenon lamp beam pattern, and of the C43's OEM Halogen lamp beam patterns - Left side with the Halogen Lens, and Right side with the Xenon Lens. I'll also compare the two lenses after the HID kit is installed.

Originally posted by JRE320
    I believe it's coming from HK that's why the shipping cost is sky
    high. It look's like it's for a ricer car...
    ? ricer

better than having some amber crap

on the real tho these lights update the look of the car.. look good on OC's

Re: Re: Halogen to HID Xenon Headlight conversion

They are!
    (I had a cracked Xenon lens laying around, and I just mounted it on my Halogen housing. A simple job - 2 Phillips screws and 6 snap off/on clips. Also mounted a set of Clear Corners after a little Dremel work to make room for the larger housing.)

I'll know that soon... I just ordered a HID kit from VVME via eBay.

I also took some photos of the C280 Sport's OEM Xenon lamp beam pattern, and of the C43's OEM Halogen lamp beam patterns - Left side with the Halogen Lens, and Right side with the Xenon Lens. I'll also compare the two lenses after the HID kit is installed.
    Any updates on this? Did you get a chance to take comparison pictures? I'm interested in knowing if the internals were actually that different.

I was thinking about this other night while I was driving. The lens swap would probably yield superior results in an HID kit retrofit in an non-Xenon housing with Xenon-spec lenses regardless.

If the reflectors and focal setup on the interior were similar or the same, then the only major difference would be the lenses. Hmm.

Any updates on this?
    I received and mounted the new OEM Xenon Lens on the RH side (replacing the cracked Halogen lens), but am still waiting for VVME's HID/Xenon upgrade kit to arrive.

The lens swap would probably yield superior results in an HID kit retrofit in an non-Xenon housing with Xenon-spec lenses regardless.
    I hope!

If the reflectors and focal setup on the interior were similar or the same, then the only major difference would be the lenses.
    I took photos of the Halogen reflector without the lens for reference.

Stay tuned...

I've installed VVME's HID Upgrade Kit for the Low Beams (H7 bulbs in 4,300K color which is brightest and closest to factory/OEM Xenons).
    And I've replaced both Halogen Lenses with M-B Xenon Lenses. (I carefully removed and re-used the original lens seals. I suggest that you purchase new seals if you want to change your lenses.)

I took photos before, during, and after and have posted them here:
    http://Kropf.net/w202/headlamps/

While there is clearly a beam pattern cut off to keep the beams from blinding oncoming traffic, and it appears somewhat better with new Xenon Lenses than with the original Halogen Lenses, the line is not quite as sharp as the factory/OEM Xenons.

I plan on purchasing an H1 4,300K kit to upgrade the High Beams next.

Nice work there.

How do you like the VVME kit and color temp? IMO, VVME is pretty good for the price!
    1997 C280 Sport

Thanks for putting this up. 4300k looks good to me! I'm considering doing this. If you get a chance, would love to see a shot of the beam pattern on a street or something.

Quick question, on a C43, when you activate the lower bumper fogs by pulling the headlight switch out one position, the "regular" fogs in the headlight are bypassed, correct?

Originally posted by 97C28O
    Nice work there.
    I'm glad it's appreciated, as it took more time to take, produce, and post the photos than to mount the HID kit! :-)

How do you like the VVME kit and color temp? IMO, VVME is pretty good for the price!
    I'm very impressed with the visible quality and ease of installation, especially for the pittance price. My kit did not include, nor need, the 'Alternative wire Relay' as shown in the included instructions, so there was NO need to connect to ANY car wiring other than to the original lamp's plug/socket. Their instructions are also duplicated at: http://vvme.com/support.jsp
    I admit, I have not yet mounted the ballasts as I've ordered another Xenon set for the High Beams, and I want to be sure both ballasts on each side are spaced appropriately directly behind the front bumper. (I already removed the front bumper for other reasons, but haven't fully re-attached it because I'll just take it back off again when the 2nd kit gets installed.) Here's another thread for those wishing to remove the front bumper: http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...threadid=13292

Any difference in color from the OEM Xenons is indiscernible. (While I respect the many on this forum that prefer the blue-look, I prefer the brightest light in non-glare white instead of the blue tints. VVME's explanations of 'COLOR TEMPERATURES' explain the differences well so all can choose their preference. Here's another site for reference: http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/...blue/blue.html)

Yes, I'd say that the VVME kits are an amazing deal! And it appears that they post Buy-it-Now auctions on eBay a bit cheaper on the weekends (now $35.99 vs $37.99). Friday night the cheapest sets were $37.99, but similar to when I purchased my first set, the cheaper sets are available again (later on Saturday-Monday). They also say shipping will be discounted if you buy multiple sets at the same time (unfortunately, I didn't).

Scrolling down in one of their auction listings, or better yet, looking at this photo:
    http://www.vvme.com/img/hidpic.jpg you'll see the impressive (yellow) triple lip seals on the quality connectors.My ballast brackets were also pre-mounted to the ballasts as displayed in the photo.
    The clear plastic screw-on-caps can be slid off of the bulb cables (just flex the rubber grommet to pass through the cap). Then after mounting the Xenon bulbs in the car, the old bulbs can be stored in those clear plastic cans to protect them.

I ordered and paid for my first set (H7) on the evening of Jan.6, 2008, but they didn't arrive until Jan.17. UPS Express Saver tracking shows that shipping began from Beijing, CN on Jan.15, Anchorage AK US on Jan.16, and delivered on Jan.17. So their claim "EXPRESS SHIPPING ONLY TAKE 3-5 WORKING DAYS" is accurate, but it took 8 days (6 business days) to get the package out their door.

I've bought another set for my High Beams (H1), and I hope that they arrive quicker than another 11 days.

Thanks for putting this up. 4300k looks good to me! I'm considering doing this. If you get a chance, would love to see a shot of the beam pattern on a street or something.
    Check again: http://Kropf.net/w202/headlamps/ :-D

Quick question, on a C43, when you activate the lower bumper fogs by pulling the headlight switch out one position, the "regular" fogs in the headlight are bypassed, correct?
    Yes, but not by the switch. They are bypassed by the C43 Fog Light Cable Connector that gets plugged in between the main cable and the main headlight assembly.

The main 4 wire cables and connectors are the same on my C280 as my C43. The connectors are wired as:
    Pin 1) Fog Lamp power
    Pin 2) Ground
    Pin 3) Low Beam power
    Pin 4) High Beam power

On the C280 (with fogs only in the headlight assembly), the main cable plugs directly onto the headlight assembly pins, so the Fogs get powered by Pin 1.

But in the C43, the piggyback type connector from the bumper mounted fog lights interrupt the Pin 1 power from the main cable, and doesn't pass the power to the headlight assembly. Look inside the front/socket side of the C43 fog lamp cable connector, and you'll see the difference in hole #1. Interestingly, you can see a metal base deep in the hole and it IS powered when the fog lights are on, but there is no metal extending up the hole to make contact with Pin 1 of the headlight assembly. I imagine that it wouldn't be very hard to modify the socket so that they will also pass the power to the upper fog lamps too, but there might then be an over load situation as the fog lamp bulbs are the same 55 Watt H1 type as the high beams, so having both upper and lower fog lamps on would be drawing 110 Watts through each main cable. Personally, I like having my parking lights and lower fog lights on even during the day to act as 'day time running lights', so I have no desire to pursue the imagined modification.

Thanks for the pics!

Yeah, that's exactly the answer I was looking for. The PN for the fog cable should be 202 540 21 07. I'm thinking of adding fogs sometime in the future and would like to keep using the stock switch. :bunny:

I've bought another set for my High Beams (H1),
    and I hope that they arrive quicker than another 11 days.
    They did!
    My 2nd set from VVME via eBay http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...fsoo%3D1&fgtp=
    arrived today, from China just 2 business days later!

Also noticed that the date stamped on the side of the ballasts are 2008!
    In fact, the set I just received on Jan.23 are dated Jan.15 2008. "Hot off the press!"

Stay tuned for the High Beam upgrade project report at: http://Kropf.net/w202/headlamps/

Originally posted by jstrat85
    i had these headlights to. rice??? are you crazy??? i liked these lights alot!!!! this is how they looked on my car.

now i got these.
    jstrat85,

i like your light setup. i was hoping you could provide me a little info on what you did you get the HIDs in the lower fog lights. any and all info you could provide about your entire light setup would be awesome! thanks
    1997 C36///AMG

i like your light setup. i was hoping you could provide me a little info on what you did you get the HIDs in the lower fog lights. any and all info you could provide about your entire light setup would be awesome! thanks
    same here
    Devon
    1999 C280 Sport
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2398710

... The PN for the fog cable should be 202 540 21 07. ...
    Yes, my 1999 C43 lower fog lamp cable is 2025402107 and is dated 22.01.97 FWIW.

OK. (This thread could fill a small a book!)
    I've installed a second VVME HID kit for High Beams, mounted ballasts, and prepared the mountings for a third set of ballasts to power the C43 bumper mounted Fog Lamps.
    I've updated my photo essay page with now a total of 74 thumbnails and captions.
    Enjoy!