Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: keyless entry=bad range

keyless entry=bad range

ok...i get HORRIBLE range with my keyless entry ....i have to be like 5 feet away for it to work...this doesnt really bug me..but its the fact that my friends with HONDAS and other cars can unlock their doors at a ridiculous distance... whats the solution to this? is there a way i can change the battery inside of the key? anyone else have this problem?

Really it has do do with the MB remotes being primarily IR. The newer keys use both IR and radio, so that improves the range a little bit. But if you have the IR only key, the only way I can think of to increase range would be one of those IR extender devices used in home theater...but that might be a little bit unwieldy.

But hey, what an idea...just mount an omnidirectional mini sensor to your headliner/roof, run the cable to the repeater, find a way to feed it power without draining the battery (separate battery? or low enough voltage?) and have the repeater hooked up to either the rear view or door sensors. hmmm, now who would have the balls to pull that one off?

A better way to go might be to just get an aftermarket alarm system to work with your car...but that might mess with you being about to use your MB key.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/products/infrared.html
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

yup mine sux ass, I just like how when you hold down lock/unlock the windows roll down. No Honda can do that!! :beard:

Originally posted by c230kompresssed
    yup mine sux ass, I just like how when you hold down lock/unlock the windows roll down. No Honda can do that!! :beard:
    our cars do that with the remote???? i thot that was only when u put the key in the hole?? damn...have i been missin out?!?!?!?!? time to try.......

CKlasse
    Originally posted by ryhi
    our cars do that with the remote???? i thot that was only when u put the key in the hole?? damn...have i been missin out?!?!?!?!? time to try.......
    Yep.. on the newer model only!

OG Moderator
    The newer key (2001-on, I believe) has far better range. I got the updated key last year, and am much happier with it. Downside is, it costs close to $200 for a new key from the dealer.

OG Moderator
    You have to be close to the driver's door and then point to the IR receiver on the driver's handle and hold the unlock button. And if you do it again, it will roll up all the windows.

OG Moderator
    Just want to add, on the older year of Mercedes (with the flip key), it only works with rolling up the windows.

just use to old "body antenna" trick hold ur smartkey sensor against ur jawbone under ur chin when u push the button

your range will go 10X more.

seriously !

LoL can you just imamgine the amt. or people who are gunna be tryin that on teir next trip out to their car? lol wish i could be there to watch......
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

Originally posted by detroit202
    just use to old "body antenna" trick hold ur smartkey sensor against ur jawbone under ur chin when u push the button

seriously !
    I use that on my truck which has an aftermarket radio remote...i can hit the panic button from like miles away...handy, since i never remember where I park.
    If you can thread the needle... and if your drive can lead to Pole Position today, history may hold a place for you tomorrow.

search. think. do. post.

it really works though !

i keep forgetting to test the maximum distance

Man are you guys serious?! OK OK ill try it but if this is some mean trick to make me look dumb im gunna regulate. Ill just make sure im in a dark place by myself! lol ... ill let you guys kno if it wrks... if it does that would rock!
    99 c280 (WHITE)
    In the midst of modding.

(list of stuff too long...just link to your gallery thread)

theres this little square on your door handles. drivers and passanger door. Thats the sensor to make the windows go up and down. you gotta point it right at it, or it wont work. I was told this a while ago, but didnt know I had to point at the sensor, and I was like "hey this shit dont work" but then i pointed at the door handle and my windows went down and my sunroof opened! crazy sheit.

man you guyz should be lucky that you even have one...i feel so bad when i have to walk to my car and put the key in the hole, cause i dont have the bling bling remote...and its a benzo dammit

Elvir
    Baaa

In Charge
    Originally posted by detroit202

seriously !
    and I always thought it was the metal plate in my head. detroit is right though. I used to do it to my Viper alarm all the time.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

yeah fuck you guys

I have to walk to my car and use the old ghetto key in the slot.
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

Keys are ghettto...Is all bout the keyless entry dawG.

The garage::.
    C 230 040 Blacked Out
    Mods: 18\" monoblock, koni lowering springs,Debadged,Black headlight inserts,Custom Puddle Lights, Pioneer P6600,Euro Plates,LED interior lighting

Originally posted by FreeStyler
    Keys are ghettto...Is all bout the keyless entry dawG.

My ghetto car will still raip your stock car
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

No shit sherlock.

C 230 040 Blacked Out
    Mods: 18\" monoblock, koni lowering springs,Debadged,Black headlight inserts,Custom Puddle Lights, Pioneer P6600,Euro Plates,LED interior lighting

No shit sherlock.

so what are you talking about
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

:stupid:

C 230 040 Blacked Out

:stupid:

Shut up basshead
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

Ok dickweed.

edit: And, No I dont know what "dickweed" means.

C 230 040 Blacked Out

Ok dickweed.

edit: And, No I dont know what "dickweed" means.

If you dont know what it means then why say it?? Thats why ur a basshead
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition