Thread: need emergency help

need emergency help

hello;

car is a 2000 C230 Komp sedan with 170 000 KM on it. No other mods.

Yesterday while driving on the highway at around 120km/hr I felt a slight hickup or lets say shake for only about half a second and after this point the car felt the same but when I tried to accelerate I pushed the pedal down but felt no immediate response. Infact I pushed the pedal all the way down (not to the KD switch) and the car did not accelerate like it used to.

I drove for another 20mins before reaching home. At the stop light I could hear a whiring sound coming into the cabin from the engine bay? maybe exhaust? And I could feel the vibration through the shift lever.

I popped the hood with the engine running and saw nothing out of order but I could still hear the sound.

And while driving to work this morning I took it easy on the highway. When I got to work, the sound was even more horifing, felt like something was rubbing. I could feel it in the cabin clearly.

thank you

OG Moderator
    Time to take it to a good independent Mercedes mechanic or the stealership. It is going to be hard for anyone to accurately diagnose the issue based on your description. You don't want to take a chance on making a small problem into a big problem by putting off a trip to get help. Hopefully it will be something relatively simple like a flex disc that has worn out.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

good advice i will be taking it into the stealership

ok turn out its a bad pully. I dont know what to call it. Its to the left of the engine (when facing the car) near the top. Is that the A/C compressor? or the air pump?

The sound like the SC pulley. That would cause a loss in acceleration.
    2007 E350 Sport
    1999 C230 Komp. with exhaust.

SC pulley? what does SC stand for?

SC = super charger, or as the germans call them "Kompressor"
    im guessing your SC pulley (which has an integrated electric clutch) has given up.
    /hope its just the pulley
    -Logan-

sounds like the supercharger clutch to me as well. if that's the case, you should order a new ASP crank pulley, replace both belts, and have the supercharger freshened up. it'll be good for another 100k+ miles, and you'd be pushing 8.5-9lbs of boost giving you a pure 20hp at the wheels. :bandit:

understood

what kind of price tag am i looking at for parts?

no idea on price, look around for those parts online.
    but do what proven said, no point fixing something back to stock when your have to purchase new stock parts just by aftermarket better ones,
    then your car will have a nice performance mod
    -Logan-

appreciate this advice guys. really.

ok so the dealer quoted me $2500 for the compressor which has failed. How depressing and 2hrs labour to put in.

In total about $3200

dude for $3200 just get a custon supercharfer fitted in... screw the stock one... see i look at things breaking as an opprotunity to upgrade... since our factory parts are so over priced might as well get some better after market shit

Buy a replacement on ebay and do it yourself?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWD1V

I am trying to search for after market kits but I am not finding any decent links. A lot of links for fake kits to reproduce the sound...? lol

ok I asked the dealer to cancel the repairs. i am going to Uhaul it on Monday back to my house.

I am debating whether I should attempt this fix on my own.

On my 190E 2.6 I have gone as far as radiator R&R, did the valve seals, and time chain cover seal. Would I be able to handle this on my own? I haven't looked at any thing in he manual yet so I can't say .

I also searched relentlessly on the net and was only able to turn up one site that offers rebuilt ones (http://www.superchargersonline.com/p...0-62-35-001-MR). Where is a good resource for a new one? An upgrade if you will? What else should do while I attempt this job?