Thread: Trunk won't open!

Trunk won't open!

I have 2000 C280 Sport. My trunk won't open with any method. I don't even hear the trunk releasing or unlatching. My remote won't open it. The pull tab on the center console won't open it. Even when all the doors are unlocked, the trunk push button on the key hole won't open it. What can be wrong? Has anyone experienced this before? I check all the fuses and they are fine. I would try and use my key but the trunk key hole is so corroded that my key won't even fit in the key hole. I bought the car with the trunk key hole in that condition and I don't think the trunk was ever open manually with a key before. Need help

OG Moderator
    I'm actually having that problem right now too! it worked fine earlier tonight, but I tried to open my trunk after some christmas shopping to put them inside and nothing.. my remote, the switch, the tumbler.. my key goes into the lock, but wont turn. so Im gonna have to use some wd40 (or something similar) to free it up so i can turn it.

so for you id say get some wd40 and spray inside the lock try and free it up, use some pliers to hold the key and turn it.. but dont break the key in the lock.. bad move.. bad!! if you cant free it you will have to drill it out so you can get in, but you will have to replace the tumbler in the lock assembly (not sure if its a tumbler itself of the entire latch assembly).

as for the cause of the problem, it may be broken wires in the trunk hinge. Im thinkin that is what the problem is with mine, but have to get my trunk open to check it out!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

The trunk key hole has a manual lock/unlock mechanism.
    It sounds like someone used the key prior to you buying the car and manually locked the trunk. You have to use the metal key and turn the keyhole so it will be in the unlocked position...
    Using WD-40 like Slammed C said should do the trick to get your key inside the hole.

I have NOT experienced this other than when the battery was completely dead - at which time, as page 39 of my '99 Owner's Manual states "To unlock and open the trunk lid, turn mechanical key to position 1 (about 10 o'clock), hold and push to open."

Assuming that the Remote, and console mounted Release Switch, and the Trunk Push Button have all worked recently, and the battery is fine...
    It sounds like the ?motor? that locks the trunk has died and it remains locked, even when the doors are unlocked.

If it's not simply a wet and frozen mechanism, (that a good sunny day may resolve), my guess is that you'll need to access the trunk by removing the rear seat back(s).

The method of removing your seat backs probably varies depending on whether your seat backs are fixed, or fold down by pulling levers in the trunk. (My '99 C43 has fold down seats, my '99 C280 Sport does not.)

On other cars, I have removed seat backs by first removing the seat cushion, and then removing the exposed bolts holding the bottom of the seat back, then carefully lifting the seat back to clear.

Page 141 of my '99 Owner's Manuals state to remove the Rear Seat Cushion:
    "Push in locking tabs (on left and right side of seat) and pull up seat at the front.
    Caution!
    Watch out for sharp edges when removing or installing the rear seat cushion, and make sure that it is securely locked in place again, to prevent personal injury."

Once into the trunk through the seat area, it looks like the simplest solution will be to remove the stationary latch that the lid latches onto. Below the lid mounted latch, remove the two vertical elongated plastic covers, and then remove the two bolts fastening the stationary latch, and I believe your lid can then be raised.

(Disclaimer: I have not done this, but only quickly looked at mine. If no one more experienced with W202s can advise, I can further check either of mine after you tell me which seat back type you have (stationary or fold-down).)
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

Yea i had the exact same problem with my trunk. If you checked every possible problem electronically (fuses ect..) and it still doesnt work then you probably have to open it with the manual key. Yes i know when you put the key in, it doesnt turn but trust me it will turn, its just very hard. Just use plyers or use the WD40 you were talking about, that should work. Hope that helps.
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

yes this especially sucks when you got a rotting smelly body in the trunk
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

mazdalowandslow
    LOL!!! I hate when bodys get stuck in the truck

Originally posted by jnolte
    yes this especially sucks when you got a rotting smelly body in the trunk
    I didn't know you moved to New Jersey.

Trunk problems

Well I tried to insert my mechanical key but the tumbler is to corroted and I can't insert my key all the way (about 1/4 of an inch can go in). I use some penetrating oil in the tumbler and let it sit for a day but there is no change.
    I read that it might be my trunk motor. Can someone give me some advice about the trunk motor? where is it mounted? Can I access it through my back seats? I have fold down back seat and luckely one the passanger rear seat wasn't engaged so I can access my trunk through there if need be. How does the trunk motor work (electrical or air hose)? What's this stationary latch on the trunk inside? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions but I need to get this fixed.
    Any advice will be greatly helpfull...THANKS!

I dont know anything about that, sorry man.
    2000 C23K Sport / Custom Magnaflow Exhaust / H7 6000k HIDs / Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors / Real CF B Pillars & CF Spoiler / Smoked LED Tails / H&R / Bilstein / V1 Radar/Laser Detector

OG Moderator
    >> luckely one the passanger rear seat wasn't engaged <<

You are one lucky dude. I would reach in and pop the other seat loose plus put some tape over the latch for the seat so that it doesn't get slammed shut.

There is plenty of discussion about this pump in the archives here. Just do some searching on trunk lock, vacuum pump trunk, etc.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Re: Trunk problems

Originally posted by tracyc
    I have fold down back seat and luckely one the passanger rear seat wasn't engaged so I can access my trunk through there if need be. <snip> What's this stationary latch on the trunk inside?
    Checking the M-B WIS documents, what I called the stationary latch is actually called the Striker Eye, and is the stationary part that the trunk lid latch mechanism (sometimes called the Actuator) latches/hooks onto.

It looks like if you remove the two 'Striker Eye Screws' holding down the Striker Eye, the lid will open (taking the unfastened Striker Eye with it) even though the lid latch mechanism is still clamped onto the Striker Eye.
    Here's a link to a photo taken from inside a trunk after folding down a rear seat.
    http://kropf.net/w202/TrunkLatch.jpg
    1) Gently pry out the two clips (2026930227 you can see one of which is leaning up on the right hand side of the photo).
    2) Have someone hold down the trunk lid while you remove the two bolts/screws now exposed.
    3) Lift the lid carefully in case the now unfastened Striker Eye wants to drop loose so that it doesn't fall onto your bumper or onto the ground.
    4) With the trunk open, you can fix the problem.

When reattaching the Striker Eye, pay close attention to the bolt head marks so that you mount it in the same exact location as it was, else you'll have to realign it again. However, if you change your lid mounted latch/actuator, you may have to realign the Striker Eye anyway.
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

A good locksmith store should be able to cut a blank key, transfer the electronic parts over, and re-program if needed.And Locksmith boca raton FL are potential option for any type of locksmithing problems.

Hi. Sorry if i an at the wrong thread but i am a total newbie with forums. My c230 trunk is very loose and doesnt close well. Is it a lock problem or will i be able to adjust something? Sorry if i am overstepping any bounderies here. I truly mean no disrespect.

In Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by Johan1981 View Post
    Hi. Sorry if i an at the wrong thread but i am a total newbie with forums. My c230 trunk is very loose and doesnt close well. Is it a lock problem or will i be able to adjust something? Sorry if i am overstepping any bounderies here. I truly mean no disrespect.
    If the trunk is loose, then I would think it is a lock problem. They are pretty heavy, so should stay in place when closed.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci