Thread: '97 + W202 Tranny Problem Roll Call.

'97 + W202 Tranny Problem Roll Call.

Since I've gotten the RL, I've garaged my 280 for the winter at my parents house. My dad's used it a few times, and complained that it was stuttering and idling roughly.

So I went home and checked it out myself. Turns out the trans. is fu**ed. Car's got 79500 miles.

A while ago I was told that a plastic clip or something was thought to be responsible for the problem.

Anyway, I'm looking to hear from other 202 owners who've lost their trannies: at what milage did the tranny die; symptoms experienced prior to it breaking; and lastly what year 202 you have.
    Prash
    \'97 C280
    18x8 1/6 Evo\'s, H&R\'s, Remus Catback, Avantgarde grill and much much more.

You are the 4th or 5th 97 C280 I have heard about having the tranny die around 80 k. It is a design flaw in the electronic transmissions.

~dnm
    1995 C36 AMG

What's the difference between the 97+ W202 trannys compared to the older models' other than 4-speed vs 5-speed? I'm just curious.

Had my 97 tranny replaced with the "updated" one as mines went south as well. Seems as if it was the first year for this 5 speed since the upgrade from the 4.

There is a design flaw in it, but its random on when it happens. I too had 75k on the clock when it went south.

You could try to rebuild it but it would require just as much $$$ as just getting the updated model without this "feature"

BTW, MB didnt want to foot the bill for my repairs
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

I m with Nokia...my tranny die at 90,000 miles.... and mine is 1999 c280...i paid $4800 for a new tranny..they said my torque converter was bad...if it is bad whose falt it is then?? i di dnot paid $43,000 for a bad tranny....

In Charge
    Does this design flaw apply to the 98 C43? I have a suspiciion that my tranny is going out on me too. It feels like it is slipping gears when it's really cold out (30 F) and I am approaching 71K on the odometer. How can I tell?

Thanks

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Does this design flaw apply to the 98 C43? I have a suspiciion that my tranny is going out on me too. It feels like it is slipping gears when it's really cold out (30 F) and I am approaching 71K on the odometer. How can I tell?

Thanks

DLS
    Only 1997 C Class as it was the first year of it having the 5 speed. In 1998 they "fixed" this feature.
    0118 999 881 999 119 7253

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    Does this design flaw apply to the 98 C43? DLS
    I don't think it does because C43's used a modified version of an SL500 tranny.

I started driving the C280 again since I came home for slack week, and its slipping between 2nd and 3rd. Don't know how much longer its going to hold up for, but i'm planning on replacing it in the next few weeks.
    Prash
    \'97 C280
    18x8 1/6 Evo\'s, H&R\'s, Remus Catback, Avantgarde grill and much much more.

If dealer charges $4k to $4.8k to replace the tranny, how much does it cost generally for a full C36 or C43 motor/tranny/ecu/harness package? (No labor, just parts).

Mine is at 58k miles right now, tranny still holds up fine (knock on the wood), just need to warm up the tranny in morning startup to smooth out the shifts. But my concern is has anyone thought instead of replacing the tranny, might as well do a AMG conversion, provided you do the labor youself (I am talking about mechnically inclined individuals ofcourse, provided they have the facility to do the swap).

C36 and C43 motor bolts right provided we have the full engine package (tranny, ecu, harness, etc.) correct? Has anyone done it before to give any details.

Thanks.

well, you can to the replacement urself. BUT the problem is there is a tranny ECU and it has to reprograme by the computre, and if you don't the Car ECU and tranny ECU wil not able to work togtehr, and which means you probbly can't even drive the car to teh dealer and get it programed.

My car had tranny ECU problem, and i belive Nokisa's too when we replaced our tranny, and it took a while for the shop to reprograme it.

When you said tranny ECU do you mean the existing C280 tranny ECU, so it's not possilbe to get the C36 or C43 tranny ECU to go with the swap?

Mechatronik GMBH http://www.mechatronik.de over in DE used to offer an S500 engine/tranny transplant for the w202, the owner of the shop has a C500 of his own, his old 280 engine and tranny went into a 1960s pagoda SL! He said the C500 conversion was a lot cheaper than buying a C43, the S500 engine was nearly as powerful as the C43 engine, and with tuning he got about 380bhp out of it, still cheaper than a C43 engine and tranny combo.

The "MSL" ...like factory huh?
    Shude

Mechatronik is cool! You can fit a modern tranny into a Pagoda!