I'm trying to find what causes the turn signals to blink/flash on a late model W202.

I want to install LED turn signal bulbs front and back in my 1999 C43 without installing equalizing resistors. (Such resistors defeat the purpose of reducing the power requirement and heat of filament bulbs, and create a danger of melting whatever is next to the resistors.)

(Yes, I realize that the "Exterior lamp failure" will still light, but that happened as soon as I installed my LED tails. Either the lower parking light LEDs, or the upper brake LEDs would trip the 'failure', so I simply removed the 'failure' bulb from the Instrument Cluster. http://www.club202.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif No codes are generated from the falsely assumed fault.)

http://autolumination.com/equalizers.htm has "flashers designed to work with any LEDs & or incandescent bulbs! You can mix Led and incandescent bulbs any way you like, and the flash rate will be normal."

Problem is that I can't find the flasher and/or relay in my 1999 C-Class W202.

I understand that the 1997 and earlier model W202s have a 13-pin 'Multi-Purpose Relay/Combination Relay' 2028204626 that control the turn signals (and a whole lot more), but I don't believe that big relay exists in the 1998-2000 C-Class models.

My C43 has 5 relays in the driver's side engine compartment fuse box, and I've temporarily pulled out all 5 relays, and even the cable that plugs in next to them, and the turn signals still flash.

I've also followed the clicking sound when the lights are flashing, and traced it to the inside of the Instrument Cluster. After disassembling the Cluster, I believe the 'clicker' is a soldered device right next to one of the turn signal lamps. I didn't get it completely apart in order to read any numbers on it, but I'd say that it's very unlikely that that is the actual flasher. My guess is that it is just a noise making device so that the turn signal indicators have an audio assist.

I've searched the owner's manual (even the PDF version), the WIS, extensively on many M-B forums, and even stumped a local M-B dealership, but still can not determine what causes the flashing.

Does ANY ONE know what causes the 1998-2000 C-Class turn signals to blink/flash and where it is???