Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C class Xenon upgrade

C class Xenon upgrade

Hey guys,

I did some searching on upgrading to xenons and feel as though I am going in circles. I am trying to put together an OEM set of xenon lights for my 95 C36 and am confusing myself in the process.

When I first started researching this mod (quite a while ago), bekkers.com still had the non-DOT approved kit that included everything that you need for just a little more than a grand (correct me if I am wrong), but now they no longer have the kit.

Essentially, now it feels I am up the creek without a paddle. I know that I could go and get everything that I would need for this upgrade from the dealership, but they have prices I am not willing to pay. This brings me to the other option of after-market xenon upgrades. I know there is a lot of discussion on this forum on this topic, and have decided that for me, OEM is the way to go. Because of this, I have tracked down, and purchased a set of complete '99 C43 headlight housings, but now am at a standstill. I still need to find what I need to wire this new headlight assembly, as well as the proper ballasts. I would like to go with a reputable ballast manufacturer (such as osram, philips, or hella) but have been running into problems finding ones that would essentially plug and play. Does anyone have any ideas for how to remain as stock as possible with this mod? Has anyone else completed this upgrade, and if so, do you have a write-up for how to do it?

Any help is appreciated, and if I missed the perfect post on this forum, please provide me with a link to it.

Thanks,

Ian
    1995 C 36 AMG

Here's a nice option!

These parts with the OEM C43 housings should piece together a complete OEM system.

Give the seller a shout.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/554050260.html

WB

Thanks for the reply wally. I am going to do some research to check to see if I can do anything with those ballasts.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Ian
    1995 C 36 AMG

if u have the xenon headlight housings, all you need to have a complete OEM set up is bulbs and ballasts, ballasts i believe can be had at the dealer, not sure about the price however, bulbs can be had just about anywhere, u will just need to get D2R's. Or you could just get a complete D2R xenon kit and retrofit it into the OEM xenon housing, there should still be no glare because you will still have the elliptical xenon housings, it would basically be as good as OEM w/the extra hassle of having to retrofit, but (im assuming) much less cost than trying to piece together a full OEM kit

The issue that I feel that I am going to be running into is integrating a retrofit kit to the OEM housings. I dont want to drill any holes or anything like that for wiring because I don't want to lose any waterproofing. I am starting to think that I could get all the connectors that I need from a stealership and then use aftermarket (or used OEM ballasts from another mercedes, like an older S class) to finish the kit. Any other ideas?

Is there any sort of write-up that anyone knows about regarding this issue?
    1995 C 36 AMG

Originally posted by cian36n
    The issue that I feel that I am going to be running into is integrating a retrofit kit to the OEM housings. I dont want to drill any holes or anything like that for wiring because I don't want to lose any waterproofing. I am starting to think that I could get all the connectors that I need from a stealership and then use aftermarket (or used OEM ballasts from another mercedes, like an older S class) to finish the kit. Any other ideas?

Is there any sort of write-up that anyone knows about regarding this issue?
    So just to be clear, are the housings from the C43 for halogen or Xenon lighting? I do not believe all C43's had Xenon as standard. If these are the Xenon housings then the D2R bulbs will drop right in. The ballast connects to the housing outside the reflector area so waterproofing shouldn't be an issue. With the OEM setup the ballast has two coonectors...one that plugs into the headlight leads and the other to the headlight housing. If doing a retrofit of HID to a halogen housing (even a post facelift) will create lots of glare.

Thanks for the reply MB,

They are Xenon headlight housings, that take the D2R bulbs. There are two connectors per side for the housings, just as you say. But, where I run into problems is that if I want to be able to plug into the housing directly from the ballast, I have to buy c43 ballasts that come complete with the connector from the dealership, which I was quoted 950 each. That price isn't worth it for one ballast. The guy at the dealer stated that he could not find the connector as a separate assembly, but that doesn't mean that the connector doesn't exist.

This brings me to a new question. Does anyone know the part number (if it exists) for the connector that plugs into the ballast for these lights?

If I can get this part number, I am sure I will be able to buy the connector. If not, I think that I may be able to use independent connectors (such as a female spade connector) for each of the four prongs that are inside of the connector. As mentioned before, I am doing all of this to maintain stock weatherproofness.

Please help.

Ian
    1995 C 36 AMG

Thanks for the clarification. If I remember correctly is this connector somewhat oval but with one end squared off and three or four blade terminals? I'll try and get behind the light and see if the connector itself has a partnumber. Not a whole lot of water gets to that area so you might be just fine with the female spade connectors. Since you are going from a pre to post update light you will need new trim pieces that go under the headlight.

MB,

Thanks for the quick response. You are right about the connector. It is oval and has 4 blade terminals coming from the headlight housing. I was thinking that if it is not possible to get this connector that I would use those female spade connectors, and put some sort of sealant around the wires. Not only would this prevent any water issues, it would also prevent the wires from rattling off.

Thanks for taking the time to check to see if there are any part numbers available. I appreciate it.

As far as the trim pieces underneath the headlight are concerned, what is the difference between the pre and the post update?

Thanks again,

Ian
    1995 C 36 AMG

Craigslist

Don't you need everything is the picture in the craigslist post linked here:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/pts/554050260.html

Seems like a great buy for $250

WB

Everything that is listed in that photo would work for the bulbs and ballasts. However, it does not solve the connecting issue that I am trying to figure out. If there were something like that for a C43 out there, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Still, once I figure all of this other stuff out, I will then start looking for bulbs and ballasts, and have been in contact with the seller on craigslist.

Thanks
    1995 C 36 AMG

OG Moderator
    cian...

If you can get a hold on C43 OEM Xenon headlight units then at least you are "half way" there.

Bekker Bosch Xenon unit (vacuum motor), and C43's OEM Bosch Xenon unit (auto-leveling) has the updated electrical plug, which is pretty much just plug n play for 1997 and up cars.

In the past there is a plug.adapter (W210 part # if I recall correctly) that you can buy so that you can just plug Bekker Xenon unit, or OEM Xenon unit.

Email me so that I can sent you the pic of my wiring harness for the headlight.

PS: Another alternative it to buy the headlight socket for 1997-up W202 cars, then you can pop the wires and pin from your OEM harness , and put the wires and pin on the harness then you'll be plug and play.

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

I think that I have made a little more sense on this issue. Essentially, all I am looking for now is the connector that provides the ballast with its power as well as returns the power post ballast to the igniter (inside of the housing) and then to the bulb.

Can anyone provide me with a part number, or information as to if this connector is also used in another application on the car?

Thanks again,

Ian
    1995 C 36 AMG

Just get the stealth auto slim ballast HID kit off MBworld. They are selling for $175 with LIFETIME warranty. and the ballasts are ridiculously thin and easy to mount.

it comes with bulbs, ballasts and everything needed to mount.

I recommend 6000K or less, don't get 7000k+ its too blue and not enough light output.

For 95-96 you need H4 for lows.

I bought one of the kits and will be installing it soon, the quality of the kit is superb and a buddy of mine installed it on his 2006 E350 and they look phenomenal.

Get them!

http://www.mbworld.org/forums/showth...t=slim+ballast

Hey, I'm in the same boat: I have a set of OEM C43 Xenon headlights w/o the ballasts or wiring. I need to find a way to make these work so this thread is of interest.

If going aftermarket, we'll have to find a way to connect the wiring to the ballast - both from the car and to the headlights. The plugs can be purchased from the dealer but we'd have to find the correct wire / pin output.
    1997 Designo Red C36 - SOLD
    1999 Mazda Miata Sport
    1998 Honda Civic

the stealth auto kit has a plug n play wiring harness for ever type of kit.

Really? So it will work without any cutting of wires??
    1997 Designo Red C36 - SOLD
    1999 Mazda Miata Sport
    1998 Honda Civic

Let me clear up some confusion...
    HID/Xenons were NOT standard on C43s or any C-Class (in 1999 at least).

In fact, my own C43 does NOT have factory installed HID/Xenons, but my C280 Sport DOES have factory installed HID/Xenons.

According to the factory 1999 C-Class Brochure, the HID/Xenons were a separate option called "Package C1" and was an option on the C230K, C280, and the C43.

The package included (and I quote):
    Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlamps with automatic level control.
    Heated headlamp washers with wipers.
    Rain-sensing automatic intermittent windshield wiper.

So a general 'tell-tail' sign of factory installed HID/Xenons are the headlamp wipers. A more thorough confirmation would be the auto-leveling's 'dip and rise' function upon level power-up because the factory set has sensors on the suspension at each wheel location and would be a greater chore to retrofit the complete factory setup (wipers AND auto-leveling). Of course, the C1 package's rain-sensing windshield sensor is also probably a real chore to retrofit.
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Corey
    Hey, I'm in the same boat: I have a set of OEM C43 Xenon headlights w/o the ballasts or wiring. I need to find a way to make these work so this thread is of interest.

If going aftermarket, we'll have to find a way to connect the wiring to the ballast - both from the car and to the headlights. The plugs can be purchased from the dealer but we'd have to find the correct wire / pin output.

I don't think you can get the ballast wiring by itself.
    The ballast has the wire clipped on the ballast casing (not like something that you can disconnect from the ballast), and on the other end is the oval connector that goes to the headlight.

I don't see the part number for the wiring on the EPC either.

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

Really? So it will work without any cutting of wires??
    yes of course, almost all HID kids now adays come with plug n play wiring harness, even ebay kits. this is 2008

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    yes of course, almost all HID kids now adays come with plug n play wiring harness, even ebay kits. this is 2008
    FWIW:
    I just finished installing a VVME H1 kit for my C43's high beams. Because the OEM's H1 connector has both the power and the ground (unlike the H1 bulbs in the lower/bumper mounted fog lamps), I had to snip off the connector and crimp on terminals to connect to the HID kit. (The same H1 kit WILL be plug-n-play on the lower fog lights, and the H7 kit was also p-n-p for the low beams.)
    1999 C43 AMG Black - sold
    - Eagle Eyes: BZ055 Clear Corners with LED 2357A, BZ062 Tails with LEDs; LED lic. lamps
    - VVME H7 4300K HID/Xenon Lower Driving & Low Beams (& replaced Halogen Lenses with OEM Xenon Lenses)
    - Sylvania SilverStar H1 High Beams
    - Silver Star Re-man and improved Trans./Conv.
    - Eibach Pro-Kit & Akebono ProACT Ceramic Pads in Front
    1999 C280 Sport Black - sold
    2005 E55 AMG Black for fun
    2007 GL450 Carneol Red for hauling!

I think that is the biggest challenge. Did you get the C43 housings on ebay thru a guy in Seattle? I may be getting a line on the factory ballasts by the end of the week. Ill let you know because I wont need them anymore.

The C43 xenon headlight's high beams are very weak. They appear to be H1 bulbs. Does Stealth auto make a kit for the xenon H1s?

Originally posted by omegabenz
    I think that is the biggest challenge. Did you get the C43 housings on ebay thru a guy in Seattle? I may be getting a line on the factory ballasts by the end of the week. Ill let you know because I wont need them anymore.

The C43 xenon headlight's high beams are very weak. They appear to be H1 bulbs. Does Stealth auto make a kit for the xenon H1s?
    yes stealth auto has ever bulb type for their HID kits and the quality is amazing. My entire car group bought their kits (20+ guys) b/c we were so happy with the quality. At that price & quality with lifetime warranty... there is no downside.

I am doing the H4 kit on my C36 b/c honestly the C36 highs are a joke they are so bad anyways and the H4 kit comes with a special protector to prevent from blinding people so it will have a very sharp cutoff. I will have pics soon.

i didnt know about the cut off kit on the h4 thats really nice. Post pics when you can of that feature and of the headlights.

Originally posted by omegabenz
    i didnt know about the cut off kit on the h4 thats really nice. Post pics when you can of that feature and of the headlights.
    sure thing, I will take snap shots of the H4 HID kit from Stealth auto, its a really nice kit. There are ones that have a low & high setting, but those kits are $250+ at least but if you really want highs you can get them. Most of the cars that I've had with duals I've just delete the highs b/c I almost never use them. Honestly a proper HID kit will provide more light than you could ever need on your car and shoot out much further anyways with very sharp cutoffs so high beams are rarely needed (especially in the city).

you will see what I'm talking about when I take the pics but basically it allows you to run it in stock OEM housings and completely prevent blinding. alot of H4 kits don't have that protector and it just shoots light everywhere.

I may get a 2nd set for my headlight fogs. Honestly my lower fogs kind of suck, I may just delete them or do something like brake ducts with them, have not decided yet.