Thread: W202 aftermarket headunit install

W202 aftermarket headunit install

Hey guys,

I got my aftermarket headunit, I bought the W202 adapter harness, I also got the headunit removal keys to ease the process. Am I missing anything else or is that it?

For non bose its pretty straight forward install right? just want to make sure there are no tricks or surprises.

If you have no BOSE system.. then it's pretty simple, basically like another other deck.

be very carefully i think the airbag unit is right under the radio....you don't want a + touching that.......will break your face
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

you should be fine...just hook up the harness color for color and make sure you hook up the amp turn on lead...sometimes it is the same wire as the antenna lead
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

haha one of the techs at Sound Advice, told me that happened to a fellow tech, they had to pay like 600 dollars to fix it

You will also need an antenna adapter (motorola european adapter).

Dont forget to switch the red and yellow wires to the harness, as the harness you have Im sure is made for VWs. A harness is not made specifically for our cars but Crutchfield states that the VW harness works when the yellow and red wires are switched. In short, connect the red from your stereo to the yellow of the harness and the yellow from your stereo to the red of the harness.

Dont worry about the airbag, theres nothing but plastic in that area of the dash and no sensors.

if i'm not mistake the airbag control thing is right below the radio....

its funny since i seen this asked many times before about wiring for a radio....good point you have to switch the yellow and red since most harness used are for volkswagons and those are usually backwards for mercedes cars.
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

the one I got is from here:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=8118

I think this one is different front crutchfield and its meant specifically for the w202.

what if its a bose system (out of curiosity)?

I know a shop in town that can do the install if its bose but i'd prefer to do it myself if I can so I don't have to spend $$ on labor.

EDIT: I just realized that I can just compare with the stock harness to see which pins are red/yellow on the stock one and just switch them if necessary.

Thanks for the great info guys, been very helpful so far.

as far as bose in most cases you can blow threw them meaning you can wire it normally as if it was a standard deck , just making sure to turn the amp on... the only thing is in some cases you can get engine whine and the volume can get loud pretty quick there are some tricks i know to get that going without rewiring the car i m a installer by trade for over 13 years....as for the wiring you switch the wires on the after market harness . since the factory colors aren't that color. if you have a meter plug in the harness and meter the yellow and red and see which wire give you 12 volt with the key off ...the 12 volts with the key off will be your yellow
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

Originally posted by Cru328prod
    if i'm not mistake the airbag control thing is right below the radio....
    Please don't post anything that you don't know.

N2/2 IS THE AIRBAG CONTROL UNIT

push your wiring aside, and look down. Theres a metal box.

I was simply just saying to make sure all your connections are secure! you don't want to use electrical tape, butt end caps are the best in my opinion if you crimp them right. Electrical tape starts to loose its consistency with the heat and everything else. Where do u think those wires go after you push the radio in? One loose connector can cause a shit load of damage

Originally posted by omeyhomey
    the one I got is from here:

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=8118

I think this one is different front crutchfield and its meant specifically for the w202.

what if its a bose system (out of curiosity)?

I know a shop in town that can do the install if its bose but i'd prefer to do it myself if I can so I don't have to spend $$ on labor.

EDIT: I just realized that I can just compare with the stock harness to see which pins are red/yellow on the stock one and just switch them if necessary.

Thanks for the great info guys, been very helpful so far.
    Interesting, I figured your car would have the BOSE system as AFAIK all the NZ/Aus/Japan ones have it factory.
    1995 C36 ///AMG

They are talking about this module here. (Dont worry, we "professionally" swapped this unit out after my friend plowed his C36 into an Impreza. The car is now driving around waiting for its next victim)
    -Note, the new one already installed and the remnants of blood on my buddy's hand.... HAHA
    1996 C36

-blacked out grill
    -cold air intake
    -flat hood emblem
    -full custom bent exhaust
    -stereo things.

turns out I do have bose system. A local w202 expert told me its not an issue, you can still wire it up normally b/c MB did not swap to fiber optics yet so its still run like a normal system, just have to make sure the amp lead wire is attached to the stock one. Im gonna give it a shot, it shouldn't be too hard.

as far as fiber optics go there were never any issues with the decks since the fiber optics lead was for the changers that were in the 202's so putting a deck into them standard or even bose were never really a issue.....
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)