Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ...Custom piston woes...nyo.

i'm sooooooooo excited your going to use OEEEEEE i can't waitttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.........
    Theres a demon in my car i tell yah....its name is KOMPRESSOR lmfao

i know this may seem like a dumb question, but why can't you get custom sleeves made?

http://www.dartonsleeves.com/mainpage.htm

...i couldnt even imagine the implications of doing that to this cast iron block...scary!
    there is very little room between the bores,and what little room there is,is taken up by a coolant passage!..i would imagine there would need to be reassesses cut in around the top of the bores along with considerable thought as to the engineering so that we had no issues with leaking coolant or differences in expansion didnt lead to failure of all sorts of things.

it would be a wiser move to buy a second hand block if i was planning to reuse the oe's!.

Its a nice thought though,thanks.

Iv also thought about using ARP head studs for the re-build..but have been totally put off by the amount of calculation needed to spec them correctly for the engine...much rather stick with stock and call it day =)

>>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    Hey speaking of tolerances,would you know what the oe piston to wall clearance is for the M111.975?,iv got clearances for the N/A models only!.
    Cheers dude,
    Paul
    I cannot find this information anywhere Paul!! if I find out anything I will for sure let you know.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

hahaa i have a hydro locked motor for ya...but i guess shipping would cost as much if you were to buy a used 1.

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C
    I cannot find this information anywhere Paul!! if I find out anything I will for sure let you know.
    Thanks Ross,
    Iv recently heard that is writen on the piston crown,my OE has a triangle with 32 inside. and 28 X stamped opposite.

Maybe this means .0028" or .0032"....not really sure,its probly not .028/32 mm,that would be very tight!

I will investigate further!

Cheers dude,
    Paul

Originally posted by c280nz

what did u end up doing about a heavier clutch?

Shit shit shit and shit

I ordered that spec3+ kit a week ago.
    was sitting at my desk before and this thought just smashed me over:

--> the Spec kit for the merc has a solid centre hub for the dual mass...im looking at remaking the flywheel into single now as well.
    I NEED SPRUNG HUB.....and i think they have already sent the kit.

fark.

When you remade yours did you use a sprung hub?

dammit.

:dead:

im running a solid center clutch at the moment and a solid flywheel, so its solid the hole way thru

its hard on everything with a solid setup tho, that is for daily driving i mean, say if im just creaping along slowly in it over judda bars etc when the load comes on and off the driveline it can pop out of gear, when the load comes on and off slightly if u know what i mean.

but my clutch +lwf cant handle what im tryina put down at the mo
    (i dont know if thats a bad or good problem )
    i think ul find with a lightweight flywheel such as i have (18kg down to 8kg)
    when the engine revs the power comes out thru the clutch that damn quickly u need a heavier clutch to hold the instant power as compared to with a heiver flywheel where the power is smoothed out from having to also spin up the flywheel weight
    so im going to change probebly to a double sprung pressure plate and sprung style clutch (puck or not yet to be decided)
    but thats all going to have to be custom made, but i think i know a mate capable of such a feet, im just yet to ask
    -Logan-

Originally posted by c280nz
    im running a solid center clutch at the moment and a solid flywheel, so its solid the hole way thru

its hard on everything with a solid setup tho, that is for daily driving i mean, say if im just creaping along slowly in it over judda bars etc when the load comes on and off the driveline it can pop out of gear, when the load comes on and off slightly if u know what i mean.

but my clutch +lwf cant handle what im tryina put down at the mo
    (i dont know if thats a bad or good problem )
    i think ul find with a lightweight flywheel such as i have (18kg down to 8kg)
    when the engine revs the power comes out thru the clutch that damn quickly u need a heavier clutch to hold the instant power as compared to with a heiver flywheel where the power is smoothed out from having to also spin up the flywheel weight
    so im going to change probebly to a double sprung pressure plate and sprung style clutch (puck or not yet to be decided)
    but thats all going to have to be custom made, but i think i know a mate capable of such a feet, im just yet to ask

Ahhhh thought you might be running the unsprung clutch!...
    lol that must be a pain to drive at times?^^
    Yeh the stock pressure plate would def not handle the torque your pulling now!,have you got a pic of your OE flywheel?...i would think it would be pretty much the same as mine?.

18 to 8 kg is a truely massive difference^^!,im looking to make about a 20 - 25% reduction in wieght on mine!,trying to decide on a flashy alloy item(maybe to light) or the normal steel(the more likely of the two to achieve the wieghts im after)

How are you going to go about getting the custom pressure plate?...will you need to remake the flywheel also?...go that good fabricator friend he he =)

GOOD news,i here from the suppliers the SPEC clutch is spung(even though SPEC said it wasnt when i mailed them months back)

Pistons,pins,rings,shells,gaskets and oil jets are here.
    still need to get the block bored,head cleaned before I reassemble...then onto the flywheel as funds allow.

Some noticeable diferences in the new pistons are the lack of oil grooves in the piston boss's,i guess MB decided they were not nessasary and rounded the edges either side of the rod alittle more to allow oil from the oil jets and small end bearing to enter and lubricate(which is the same Lube methode as the original setup still).Also the crown and valve pockets on the new piston are much deeper,i think this is done to compensate for the diference in displacement thus keeping the C/R the same.
    the new ones look to have a moly coat spayed over the entire piston with what could be a ceramic coating on the skirts(rather then just a moly which the JE had)...
    the MB items like very very nice....how did i ever doubt them^^

and pics...

Cheers dude,
    Paul