Thread: Xenon slight flicker when powering up

Xenon slight flicker when powering up

I had a Xenon kit installed in my W202 when visiting a friend 6 hours away who had the same one installed in his C43...had them now for a year he says no problems so I did it.

However, I noticed since I got them the next day, a slight 2 second flickering on the passenger side bulb when powering on initially.

Someone told me I need a capacitor for them to maintain constant power.

Any ideas before I check? My friend will check with the shop who installed them aswell.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

you need a relay

OG Moderator
    I would say you either have a faulty bulb or a faulty ballast.
    my buddy put a set of HID's on his S-coupe.. one did the same thing.. flickered on slower then the other side.. eventually it stopped working. ended up being a ballast.
    try swapping the bulbs from side to side.. if the problem moves you need a bulb.. if the problem stays you need the ballast. then just go back to where you got it. he should for sure warrant the ballast.. not sure about the bulb though.
    what HID kit you get? how much you pay?
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

$400.

Upon furthur looking at it, it appears it has a capacitor. The wires come from the Ballast to this next black box which has marked "high voltage do not open etc" on it then into the housing to the bulb.

The flicker is so minor but it is there occasionally when powering up for about a split second.

Its gonna be close to a month soon and still working good.

Problem is the Mercedes shop who did it is in Montreal.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

OG Moderator
    damn.. I probably could have gotten you one cheaper then that.
    did the shop in montreal sell you the kit too.. or just instal it?
    yeh my buddy had a kit for about a month or so and it started acting weird for the one bulb.. eventually it gave out and turned out to be the ballast.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

An Independent Mercedes shop (Automobiles Metz) in Laval Quebec where my friend lives and takes his C43 did the oxygen sensors on my 202 (when they failed on the trip ) and I got them to install their xenon kit aswell which was included in that price of $400 for the lights/install.

Funny though, since I posted this it hasnt flickered nothing at all in 2 days and if it does its so minimal, I really just think its part of the igniting process.

So many xenon kits around that I just went with this one cause the C43 had it for a year and works good.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor