Thread: Best Wax/Protectant?

OG Moderator

Best Wax/Protectant?

What is a good wax/protectant to use on the w202's soft paint? I did a search of the archives and did not find any recent posts, so I thought I would ask. The Maguire's I am using doesn't seem that great.

Are the new polishes that have names like ICE-whatever or clear-whatever any good for protection? They claim no white streaking or swirls. Waxing a black car just isn't much fun. I never seem to get the polish buffed enough so that I don't start seeing swirl marks after the first wash.

Protection is important since my car sits outside a great deal.

If possible I would like something that is not outrageously priced and that doesn't take a bunch steps and half a day to apply to the car.

I figure there have to be some Obi Wan Kanobies (sp?) of detailing here who can guide me Thanks in advance.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

when i go all out i first wash, clay bar, then stages 1-3 of mothers waxes with the buffer. cleaning each one off in between.
    it does however take a long ass time.
    never tried the ice and stuff but it seems like it would sacrifice quality for time.
    C36
    87 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- EFI conversion, Mosselman turbo headers, Garret, LC1, Megasquirt, 95A susp. bushings, evo2 rear sway, 300te front sway, brass shifter bushings, Sportline wheel, Euros, C36 calipers, Monos, Billy sports, Jamex/H&Rs
    86 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth- Eaton SC, Mosselman piggyback, BBS Mahles, Euros, H&Rs, Koni adjustables, sportline wheel, 300te front sway, 300te end links

this brings up another good reason on why i sold the black car, i just got so sick of trying to keep the damn swirl marks off...i have a jug of swirl remover that i bought from the detail department at a chevy dealer, 50$ a jug but its pretty much liquid gold to me, i have used many wax'es in the life span of my cars, i have found out that the meguires gold class is pretty good, but eagle one nano wax is extremely good and also removes swirls as you wax, zymol is also very high on my list but is expensive at about 20$ for a bottle at my local stores, i have a can of almost 100% carnuba that i only use after a fresh clay bar, which is often overlooked but it helps removes many of the imperfections in the clear coat by lifting the bad stuff out i clay bar'd my white car this past weekend and waxed it and took me about 3.5 hrs, but it is smooth as silk...and ONLY use microfiber cloths on your car, dont even think about shop rags or tee shirts, thats just asking for bad news..
    2009 - Bmw 335i M Sport Package
    2003- Ford Excursion Limited

Only drive when its bad outside - White
    1998 c230, 17\" amg 5 spoke, 5% tint, JL audio W3v2 12\", Memphis Class D 400w amp, dynamat, K&N, Clarion In-Dash DVD..

RIP- 1998 c230 Black

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...threadid=13733

http://www.club202.com/forums/showth...threadid=15348

3m makes a wax especailly for black cars. i use it on mine and i also use the swirl remover they make also. its in a black plastic bottle. and if i remember right i got it at pep boys. if you use meguires dont use the red bottles since thats there entry level wax.

here are the part numbers of the wax 39026
    here is the part number for the swirl remover 39009
    the swirl remover is also designed for dark cars and these 3m wax's and swirl removers are there pro series formulas. they can
    be used with or without a buffer. i m thinking about using a clay bar on mine since i was told they like wet sand the car and take all impurities out of the clear
    when i wax my car i use baby cotton diapers and have been using those since my lowrider candy paint jobs days. they dont scratch and work real well.
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

avoid the synthetic wax like ICE-whatever. they are rubbish and quite hated by most detailers.
    1995 W202 C220 | 50,xxxkm | From Burgundy Red, to 650 Calcite White | H&R Cup Kit | 18" 8.5 & 9.5 Work Varianza T1S, 18" 8.5 & 10 AMG Monoblock | Falken 452 | Avantgarde Grill | Philips Diamond Vision 5000K H1 & H3 | Goodridge SS lines | R1 Drilled & Slotted Rotors | K&N 57i CAI | Remus Exhaust

FK1 2180 followed by FK1 1000P. Conservative 8-10 months of solid protection.

(www.fk1usa.com)

OG Moderator
    >>FK1 2180 followed by FK1 1000P. Conservative 8-10 months of solid protection.<<

That sounds promising. Do you know if you can buy this in local stores or only online? I can't find any links on the website that allow you to find local dealers.

Thanks.
    1999 C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by xvvvz
    >>FK1 2180 followed by FK1 1000P. Conservative 8-10 months of solid protection.<<

That sounds promising. Do you know if you can buy this in local stores or only online? I can't find any links on the website that allow you to find local dealers.

Thanks.
    Must be bought off the website. It's $5 flat rate shipping so take advantage of it. 425 and 108 are two of the greatest detailing products known to man.

adams polishes

I second that

Just giving a second vote on the clay bar, it really is one of the best things you can do to keep your paint smooth and beautiful. When you finish, your paint will actually be smooth like glass, showroom new if you do it right. be sure to follow the directions with the bar and ALWAYS keep the surface wet as directed.

Microfibre is great advice also but not just for waxing, but also washing and drying, remember we cause most of this damage to the paint when we wash our cars to understanding proper technique there helps reduce workload and frequency of waxing.

Originally posted by benzo23
    this brings up another good reason on why i sold the black car, i just got so sick of trying to keep the damn swirl marks off...i have a jug of swirl remover that i bought from the detail department at a chevy dealer, 50$ a jug but its pretty much liquid gold to me, i have used many wax'es in the life span of my cars, i have found out that the meguires gold class is pretty good, but eagle one nano wax is extremely good and also removes swirls as you wax, zymol is also very high on my list but is expensive at about 20$ for a bottle at my local stores, i have a can of almost 100% carnuba that i only use after a fresh clay bar, which is often overlooked but it helps removes many of the imperfections in the clear coat by lifting the bad stuff out i clay bar'd my white car this past weekend and waxed it and took me about 3.5 hrs, but it is smooth as silk...and ONLY use microfiber cloths on your car, dont even think about shop rags or tee shirts, thats just asking for bad news..
    Click to see pics of my
    \'99 c230 Kompressor (Brilliant Silver)
    \'04 Porsche Cayenne S