Thread: ETS/ABS lights on only when car is cold?

Question ETS/ABS lights on only when car is cold?

OK its been doing it a couple of weeks now. As soon as I start my car, i.e. in the morning or when I get off work, whenever the car is cold, I get both the ETS and ABS lights on my cluster and my car has no traction control, ABS or cruise control. The brakes also suck BIGTIME even in smoother use. And they overheat easily besides being harder to push. Now if I get the car warmed up and turn it off - and then back on - they go away and everything gets back to normal (99% sure). Now I searched a bit but nothing came up and I would'nt want to visit the stealership before I ask you guys if you have any idea. Thanks.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

OG Moderator
    Im thinking a wheel speed sensor.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Hmmm... haven't thought of that at all. And how much is it gonna cost me, do you have any idea? Dammit it doesnt look good and im not likely to avoid the stealership. :bored:

Thanks SLAMMED_C
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

OG Moderator
    wheel speed sensors are over $100 for sure.. the only reason I say wheel speed sensor is cause my moms car had similar symptoms. no ABS function, poorer braking.
    I havent seen the part happen where it goes away when warm though..
    the best way for you to check is have codes pulled and let us know what you have.
    my first guess is wheel speed sensor.. but there are other possibilities as well. need the code to be certain.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Yeah, I dont get the cold-warm part either. Today it did the same but as soon as it was warm again and I turned off the engine and then back on, everything went back to normal... I will try to visit a repair shop during this week and have my codes pulled and I'll let you guys know.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

I also noticed that when you start the engine in the morning (it was snowing last night here), they are off but they light as soon as the wheels start moving, sayyy... 4-5 full circles.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Jim, it's the ABS control unit...
    I have the same problem!
    W202.018 -> M111.961 (Yeah!)
    2.2 @ 163bhp | 17\'\' AMG Alloys | Supersprint | Americat | Eisenmann | BMC | C32AMG/C36AMG Brakes | Bilstein | Eibach
    Hellenic Mercedes Benz Owners & Friends Club # www.mbclub.gr

Aaaah.. dammit. What the cure doc? What do we do?

Shoot.

[Kanei akrivos oti ki emena? Einai sigoura ayto?]
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC

Check it with the stardiagnosis...

[Pou les nai... kai emena ta idia kanei... apla otan to kanei... to afinw na zestathei... kanw ena restart kai tsak eimai komple... stin antiproswpeia mou eipan na allaksw monada ABS, einai sinithes provlima gia ta 202 kata ta legomena tous...]
    W202.018 -> M111.961 (Yeah!)
    2.2 @ 163bhp | 17\'\' AMG Alloys | Supersprint | Americat | Eisenmann | BMC | C32AMG/C36AMG Brakes | Bilstein | Eibach
    Hellenic Mercedes Benz Owners & Friends Club # www.mbclub.gr

So, I FINALLY went to the stealership and had it checked... It was the brake pedal switch (Google 0015450109 if you want to see what it is) and it took about half an hour and costed me 56 Euros.

Im just glad it ended up cheap! Powerslave dude, maybe you should check that first before you proceed into more expensive replacements.

* I would also like to add that during the last 10 days the lights were on after a bit, warm or cold.
    Jim
    >> My white Greek merC