Thread: Anyone add a steering wheel emblem?

Anyone add a steering wheel emblem?

I have a 99 c230k (non-sport) and it has the molded, raised black star on the steering wheel center. Has anyone tried finding a chrome or some other type of emblem that would cover this and still look correct? I know some AMG and later sport models have chrome emblems but I'd have to buy a new horn pad I think for this to work. If anyone with a chrome emblem can tell me if it is flat beneath theirs or if it fits over the raised rubber emblem maybe I can just order that part.

I have seen steering wheel emblems on eBay from a Canadian seller but wasn't sure if this will work over the raised rubber emblem. Also, that emblem is the blue wreath traditional style.
    Click to see pics of my
    \'99 c230 Kompressor (Brilliant Silver)
    \'04 Porsche Cayenne S

looked into it, you cant buy the horn pad alone only with the airbag attached....VERY expensive.

From what i could gather there is no way to add this to our steering wheels

....maybe a wreckers/breakers you might able to get a horn pad on it's own and swap it out but i dont know how it attaches to the airbag bit??
    Diamonds & Wood

My merc http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9323

Originally posted by MirageHatch

....maybe a wreckers/breakers you might able to get a horn pad on it's own and swap it out but i dont know how it attaches to the airbag bit??
    That's a good point because I seem to think the sport/AMG versions with the chrome emblem is shaped differently than ours, so I guess that might mean buying a whole new wheel if I went that route, which is way more than I'd want to spend for such a small update.
    Click to see pics of my
    \'99 c230 Kompressor (Brilliant Silver)
    \'04 Porsche Cayenne S

You can swap out the airbag unit complete. If you were to find this at a breaker's yard then it would be cheaper than the stealer. Depending on your car and model, it doesn't necessarily have to be a 202 airbag unit. If you wanted to change the wheel from the SLK or CLK you could providing you had the steering wheel to put it into. A W140 airbag would swap straight on.
    You never had me, you never had your car

realize that whatever you add ontop of your airbag will be pushed at some hundreds of miles an hour if your airbag deploys. I have heard of stuff like this before that have killed people. The airbag does tear above the star, but that doesnt mean that it will push whatever you glue to it down vs. strait at your face..
    1996 C36

-blacked out grill
    -cold air intake
    -flat hood emblem
    -full custom bent exhaust
    -stereo things.