Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would the O.Z amg wheels suit the 202?

Would the O.Z amg wheels suit the 202?

19's are nice however im looking at a set of 17's for everyday use maybe perminant,less road noise,smoother lock,better rolling diameter etc etc etc

these are pretty much the only 17's that interest me.

They come in 129 fitment 8.5x17 et18,10x17 et17.(local guys have the rears in stock,need refurb,but wouldnt fit anyway)

and... they also come in a 17 et30 or et31
    to fit the SEC merc although slightly more rare.(have found a set though not local)

They may not fit the brakes on the front....however I can get the outer rim locally and could just get the disk part cast/replicated and make them in any offset....just an idea.

Opinions?...

>>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

In Charge
    They would look sharp.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

those are beautiful. They look horrible on that passat though
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

thay will look good and please take them off that VW
    Mercedes
    Engineers
    Racecars
    Carfully
    Economically
    Drivability
    Even
    Safety

NICE
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

OG Moderator
    NICE wheels!.. if you can find the R129 version.. youd be one lucky SOB! they are pretty rare... well at least Ive seen very few.
    but honestly.. Id go with an 18" wheel for everyday use. I loved running my 19's.. but the roads just didnt agree with them!.. so I swapped out to 18's. 18's are a very nice compromise, still larger wheel so they look the part. 17's for an everyday wheel are too small IMO. they can look nice.. but an 18" wheel would set off your car better.
    love the dish on those AMG's though!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

yo,
    Actually today i had a look at an R129 set...pretty rough they would need a full re-furb....amazingly enough the front R129 clear the stoptech caliper!.....however there an 8.5 et18 so would sit out 12mm further than my 19's do already...thats a bit much!...hopfully i will fit a couple of them this weekend and see how it looks so we can decide if its really worth the hassle!...17 is definitly to small...im kinda hoping if i can run some really agressive offset with the right tire it wont look to bad....but tires are the easy bit....tring to make the R129's fit is near impossible unless i swap outers...i check with local manufactures and there step lip 17's are too small in the middle to take the amg disk...=(

Another idea would be to get a set of Work 18" outers and cast some AMG centres to suit....then i thought why not just do it to my 19's...............lol

i agree though 18's would be nice...however im aiming for really good ride quality if i do this...even if it means sacrificing the look=O

Could always just go jdm again lol...so easy and light....dont mock my photoshopping i did this in Paint lol

Another rough 2 min job on the 17ish look,if you stand far enough back from the screen(4m)its not to bad hehe
    check those huge calipers in the back ^^

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    yo,
    Actually today i had a look at an R129 set...pretty rough they would need a full re-furb....amazingly enough the front R129 clear the stoptech caliper!.....however there an 8.5 et18 so would sit out 12mm further than my 19's do already...thats a bit much!...hopfully i will fit a couple of them this weekend and see how it looks so we can decide if its really worth the hassle!...17 is definitly to small...im kinda hoping if i can run some really agressive offset with the right tire it wont look to bad....but tires are the easy bit....tring to make the R129's fit is near impossible unless i swap outers...i check with local manufactures and there step lip 17's are too small in the middle to take the amg disk...=(

Another idea would be to get a set of Work 18" outers and cast some AMG centres to suit....then i thought why not just do it to my 19's...............lol

i agree though 18's would be nice...however im aiming for really good ride quality if i do this...even if it means sacrificing the look=O
    For sure the R129 wheels look nice.. but still too small. since you have such an aggressive front end now I think the 17's would look way too small. need 18's for sure. its a good compromise.
    that would cost a bit to have AMG look inners cast for your work 19" outers?!
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Like ICE CUBE would say those aint twenty's but he keeps them clean hehehehe
    99 C230 KOMPRESSOR SPORT (SOLD)
    98 C43 AMG (SOLD)

I hear ya...18's would be a good compromise!,definitly would look better...there just 1 step harder than 17^^
    As wierd as it looks I may go with a dark coloured silver or bronze 17" XD9 as....they do they in a 8.5 and 9.5 with the right offsets and nice lip...just need to get approval on the caliper clearance...

Could always make a billet amg centre for the work S1's,that would look awsome im very sure....and it would cost a bit im very very sure haha

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 23K
    I hear ya...18's would be a good compromise!,definitly would look better...there just 1 step harder than 17^^
    As wierd as it looks I may go with a dark coloured silver or bronze 17" XD9 as....they do they in a 8.5 and 9.5 with the right offsets and nice lip...just need to get approval on the caliper clearance...

Could always make a billet amg centre for the work S1's,that would look awsome im very sure....and it would cost a bit im very very sure haha
    although.. 17's would be alot lighter! Id be more about the look then about a few extra pounds on the wheels! youre pushing some realy good power now so I dont think youd notice too much of a difference with 18 compared to 17's.
    xd9's look pretty nice.
    the custom billet AMG centers would be cool as fuck!.. but they would cost as much as you put into your car I think!

Heres the reason why i want 17's =)

"Some informational posts taken from other threads regarding the subject. They may be slightly edited. If you feel like you have more information, contact me.

Quote from: stretch

Ugh, I keep trying to resist posting to this thread.

Can't do it anymore.

The average 20" wheel is 35lbs. The stock 16" wheel combination WITH tires is 39.4 lbs. So you're almost as heavy before even mounting tires! I tried looking up tire weights, and realized that no respectable manufacturer makes the size you would need. So you're forced to buy shit tires. Kuhmo doesn't even make the "MX" in a 20" size because no respectable performance driver would be on 20's. But their 712's are available in SUV sizes, and the 255/35/20 is 30lbs. T1-S's also come in that size, but no smaller width. These are essentially SUV tires, they're heavy because they're designed to support a lot of weight. Falken doesn't even make Azenis in a size over 17" because again, no respectable racer (autocrosser) would use wheels larger than that.

The only reason to run large wheels is to run large brakes, and the 3's brakes are completely adequate for track use (when used with track pads) even under 16" wheels.

Anyway, back to weights. You're going to run 35lb wheels with 30lb tires, totally 65lbs compared with 39.4lbs stock. This is not like adding a 200lb subwoofer in the trunk (which is pretty stupid), this is far worse. The thing about wheels is you have to spin them, and that takes much more effort than it does to move an object that isn't spinning. You're dealing with the polar moment of inertia.

I won't bother explaining it since I doubt you care (and Crossbow already touched on it), but here are some numbers for you.

In fact, just for fun I looked up how much straight-line performance you'd lose by switching from 16" wheels to 20" wheels if the wheels weighed the same. It'd be about like adding 200 static weight to the car, which would take an additional 11ft-lbs of torque (roughly 15hp @ the rev limiter) to compensate and get the same acceleration as a stock car. That's bad enough.

But no 20" wheel is as light as the stock 16's. Your combination will weigh 65lbs, remember?

That's like adding nearly 800lbs of static weight to the car. Think about that number. That's almost 30% of your car's entire weight. In order for the car to accelerate like it did STOCK, you'd have to gain back 42ft-lbs of torque over the ENTIRE rev range. At the rev limiter, you'd need to be making 55 extra horsepower. Not gonna happen without forced induction. So basically, you'll need to supercharge your car to keep pace with a stock Mazda3 on 16" wheels.

Bling bling though, right?

Now you know why people with big rims get laughed at. Clowns wear big shoes too, but they're supposed to be funny.

Oh, and that's assuming you get the tires to fit in the first place, and then manage to make it over a pothole. You should aim to keep the volume of air in a tire constant when plus-sizing, which is why you should always upgrade to a wider wheel and wider tire when plus-sizing (a reason why Porsche uses hollow spokes!). Due to fender size constraints, you can do neither, and your brand new $4000 wheels will be bent in no time. The sidewall on 35 profile tires has to be very soft to be compliant, and your car will look like the rims are touching the ground. You know the look- like the tires are low on air. Take a turn and it looks like the rim scrapes, hit a pothole and the rim breaks. Utterly stupid looking.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention- that extra 800lbs of equivelant weight that you're adding to the vehicle? You're going to have to slow it down, too. Good thing the Mazda3 has awesome brakes, cause you're going to need every ounce of them to stop your car in just routine traffic.

Here's a link for you to read:

Plus-sizing for dummies: a dozen reasons not to go bling-bling with large wheels.

MZ6ZoomZoom:
    Quote from: crossbow

Any increase in unsprung weight is multiplied by a variety of factors.

Did you know that a mere 2 lb increase in tireweight on a 19 inch diameter tire is equivilant to 200 lbs of additional static weight?

http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?...d=16&Itemid=32

And here's the direct formula.
    http://www.mazda6tech.com/files/rotational.xls

Its quite accurate based on 1/4 and 0-60 times. Having experienced the opposite effect on my car (dropping 40+ lbs of unsprung weight), I can definitely say unsprung weight is one of the most important aspects of a cars performance. Combined with proper tires, it has the ability to make or break what makes a car great. Heavy wheels and tires make the car feel slow, the steering heavy, reduce braking performance, acceleration, and the overall effect of suspension on the car.

Lightweight wheels and tires (smaller diameter then stock, lower profile rubber, lightweight forged wheels), make the car feel hundreds of pounds lighter then it actually is, give a very light steering feel (feels nimble as hell), and increase braking performance, acceleration, and require the suspension to do far less work to maintain the car's manuverability.

Remember that though you can maintain the same overall ratio, you are still pushing the tire weight further away from the center of the wheel hub. Because of rotational inertia (insert smart math forumla's I don't understand here), this means that even if you have wheels of identical weight, your still increasing the inertia (and torque required to turn the wheel) by 6-8% (per inch of additional wheel diameter).

So technically to maintain the exact same performance specs (And its effect on unsprung weight) while increasing grip/aesthetics, you'll have to REDUCE the weight of the larger wheels over stock. Aka if you went with a nice set of forged SSR GT2's (18x7.5) which were around 18 or so lbs, its possible to maintain the exact same or better characteristics as a stock configuration while increasing aesthetics.

Because of rotational inertia, the importance of tire weight becomes absolutely critical on a 19 or 20 inch wheel. (Because its on the outside of the rotational mass) A mere lb of additional tire weight can have a drastic effect on the car.

Article on Unsprung Weight and Rotational Inertia
    http://www.mazda6tech.com/index.php?...d=16&Itemid=32

Damn XD9's dont clear the brakes...back to the O.Z amg idea :S

mmm

Finally found them on a 202!!
    its flaired O.O
    they look pretty small =P

[IMG]www.rakuten.co.jp/sk-network/img10384674701.jpeg[/IMG]

imo i liked your original 19s best, then the ones u have now second best, and these ones ur looking at changing to, 3rd.

i wouldnt have thought the 19s would have been to rough round auckland? with all the smooth motorways and alike, or do they make the ride to rough and cause you to spill your latte's

and its not all about going fast, its about looking cool why you do it
    otherwise you may aswell just own an evo or somethin like that
    -Logan-

Originally posted by c280nz

i wouldnt have thought the 19s would have been to rough round auckland? with all the smooth motorways and alike, or do they make the ride to rough and cause you to spill your latte's
    -.-" ........possibly some truth in that hahaha

Yeh have to agree on the look good part however the look good and go fast clash hard in this case...that is unless you have a spare 10 - 15K for light weight 19's.

The car used to feel much more nimble,steering was light,brakes were sharp,no rough noise when turning tight,less road noise in general,the aftermarket suspension is very very smooth all round with stock wheels.Installing larger brakes made the suspension in the front feel alot worse!

The rolling diameter is perhaps the biggest killer...being that extra 10 - 15mm taller.

Since iv had the 19's iv never liked how it felt so definitely going to go 17 but haven't found anything to exciting just yet...the other option is to use wobble bolts for 114.5...but not so keen!

got that box in yet?

hmmm

^ those are both nice
    i was just lookin thru your car domain, everything is looking good! and very well documented! but man the 5th page is so depressing paul
    i understand where ur comin from with the 17s tho!
    but im gona stick with the 19s and then just tell you that the ladies love the extra 2 inches
    -Logan-

Lmfao!

Thanks dude,was board one evening last week thought the site could do with a revamp,almost deleted the last page but decided maybe its good having a bit of history

17"s dont have to look totally tiny though0o...it says on the cars profile there 17x10 and 17x9!

17x12 in the rear

Tramont have these...going through a few german sites they have some sick wheels over there

not so sure about these but the car isnt lowered very far which makes a heap of difference

dammit why must my brakes kill the front lip^^

these would do nice but dunno who makes them,pic is of 17's.

those bmws look good! and man thats a big lip on that 17*12, but dont like the south auckland windscreen strip.
    -finaly got my car going today, i think i need to bleed a bit more air out of the clutch system tho, it sometimes doesnt disenguage fully and creeps a bit in gear, next few days
    -Logan-