Thread: Broken Front Spring/Coil

Broken Front Spring/Coil

I was wondering what was creaking in the front passenger wheel. I cranked the wheels for a right turn and looked to see the spring bowing out bowing out at me and my heart skipped a beat. The spring was resting on the front sway bar. I was thinking don't put any weight on the hood with your body because pop!

Anyway, where is a good place to find a stock spring for a 2000 C280 Sport? It seems other people have had this happen to them before on w202 from what I have read.

Any suggestions on damage control when jacking up the vehicle? I have done springs before but have heard some bad stories about springs unloading. I have a couple of spring compressors and chilton manual or something like that.

Thanks,

Mark

mazdalowandslow
    So how was the meet?

turns out

The Top Spring cup was torn out/rusted out of the wheel well wall. $30 part that I had welded at a body shop. Couldn't believe what I saw when I jacked up the car. The Spring was ready to explode out. Glad I didn't drive it far! Got new springs at buymbparts.com

This is something that ive read about before. My advice is maybe find some sort of anti-rust rubberized coating ?

Thanks God we in CA dont see stuff like that.
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

This shit worries me. Im guessing its the spring "perch" as they call it....seperated from its weld onto the frame of the car?

The W210 E-class is notorious for this problem.
    99 C43 AMG
    99 C230 Kompressor

Originally posted by benzonline
    This shit worries me. Im guessing its the spring "perch" as they call it....seperated from its weld onto the frame of the car?

The W210 E-class is notorious for this problem.
    Don't say that!!! Now I'm scared...