Thread: Disappearing Fuel Leak

Disappearing Fuel Leak

Hi all, I have a 96 C36 with 85K on the clock. I don't get to drive the car much and most recently has sat for about two months. Yesterday I pulled the car out of a rentee garage and a fuel leak developed around the pump area. I took the car back home and by the time I changed into cloothes that I could get dirty I started the car and the leak was gone. I let the car run for ten minutes and....nothing. At this point I am thinking the pump is on borrowed time as when it did leak the car had to be running. Thoughts?

I also got a leak but I don't where is it coming from...

take your right rear wheel off. you will see a rubber hose, its most likely is dry rotted by now and leaked all over your pump. ... your best bet is go to the dealer, i went the cheapo route and found a simular rubber hose froma local automotive store and used clamps that were a few bucks at Walmart. costed me maybe $30 at most. the Dealer part is expensive for a rubber hose thats like 7 inchs long with a few bends. there is no after market part. hope this helps

BTW did that on my 1997 in the summer
    1997 C 280
    1984 190D 2.2 5 SPD!!
    1995 E300 Diesel * RIP*
    2003 C230K Coupe...Sold!

BTW you may as well check the rest of the fuel hoses and replace them if that look beat even of they dont leak
    1997 C 280
    1984 190D 2.2 5 SPD!!
    1995 E300 Diesel * RIP*
    2003 C230K Coupe...Sold!

Just took it to a shop and they found the fuel filter hose is cracked. cost me $62.00.

Well it has been a month since the leak first appeared.....as of this writning it has not leaked one drop.

Hello mbsickness,

I had exactly the same disappearing fuel leak from the fuel pump area. It was quite bad when I spotted it. I left the car for a few days. Then I started it and drove it to my brother's workshop.

Strangely, it didn't seem to be leaking as much when I first started it, And when I examined the area at the workshop, it was dry as an old bone.

All pipes and the filter where good, but I replaced them anyway as a precaution. Some time later it leaked again so I replaced the pump. That solved the problem.

I suspect the old fuel pump had an intermittent internal leak.