Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got mods done by Steve (MbenzNL).. Multifunction!!

Could you please send some DIY info on how to replace the steering wheel and cluster also some info on the command? I've seen one DIY on command from the british MB forum but it's done on a left hand drive, or it doesn't matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ruzhkata View Post
    Could you please send some DIY info on how to replace the steering wheel and cluster also some info on the command? I've seen one DIY on command from the british MB forum but it's done on a left hand drive, or it doesn't matter?
    Heres a video from W202FTW's Youtube Channel,

W202 Steering Wheel and Instrument Cluster Removal
    My W202 2000 C230 Kompressor
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

good luck getting a reply from a two year old thread... lol... anyhow steering removal is easy....

OG Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ruzhkata View Post
    Dont really have any photos of the install procedure. the comand retrofit is pretty involved.. need to modify 2 single din radio supports to make a double din support, need to modify 2 wood trim pieces to make the trim to fit around the comand, a slight bit of wiring modifications!
    the cluster and multifunction steering wheel were pretty simple.. but it does require replacing the srs ring and adding in a small harness for the CAN system.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

I too am very interested in this upgrade. The first thing that dates any old car is the internal cluster and entertainment. I saw a youtube video of a 99 C43 with the comand linked cluster from a w208 complete with AMG gauges, an E55 multifunction steering wheel, and the comand 2.0 unit in the dash. Needless to say, that's the absolute way to go for any w202! I'm totally down for this!
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

Any one know how the command is linked to the W210 cluster? I know if you do the cluster without command the cluster with display a Nav error, but if you have both can you see the nav map on the LCD of the cluster? Or is it just a matter of say, the voice controls on the MF steering wheel going through the cluster to the command?

Yeah how did they link that? I'm assuming a few wire heads were cut off and swapped?

There's a cable that runs from cluster to comand/hu. Also a cable from the wheel, that's how it all integrates. Apparently its an easy job, once you have the parts.
    CURRENT:

[QUOTE=SLAMMED_C;156087]Got my car modded by the Legendary Steve (MbenzNL) today. I got the Multifunction upgrade..
    BEFORE:

Modding is fun but costly
    Last edited by kowalski; 01-14-2014 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
    There's a cable that runs from cluster to comand/hu. Also a cable from the wheel, that's how it all integrates. Apparently its an easy job, once you have the parts.
    Yeah I can imagine. It's mostly just hooking up a few existing wires to make it work. Good cosmetic/utility upgrade for these cars

i've got the boring 'rubbery' classic steering wheel , do you know if it can be replaced by a steering wheel similar to your original one? and where i could get one?

Quote Originally Posted by alex_ab View Post
    i've got the boring 'rubbery' classic steering wheel , do you know if it can be replaced by a steering wheel similar to your original one? and where i could get one?
    u should be able to... but take note you would need an airbag too..

I wonder if this thread is still active...
    my star is W124 1995,has the same ugly stock steering wheel as W202,I wonder if I can swap this steering with a multi function steering wheel of W208?
    I noticed that horn terminals are connected to the steering wheel in W124 while connect to the airbag in W208 with different plugs,so I think I have to swap the horn plugs with W208 ones.
    what about the airbags? I can see both have same plugs ,but not sure if they can be swapped easily.
    any light shed on this is highly appreciated.

Yes, airbags and horn plugs can work, but the multi function buttons that control other things will never work.

W124's technology is almost entirely still a design from 1986. A 1995 only has a slightly updated look to it, but all the same technology.

The steering will will bolt up just fine, but you won't have the function of anything except airbag and horn.
    CURRENT:

I like the way the white faced cluster looks. I would love to see this turbo 202 in person. You`re located in Toronto as well SLAMMED_C?? I neverrrr see any 202's in Toronto and if I do they are broke and rusting out....Send me a PM and maybe we can meet up some time...
    1998 Mercedes C230 Elegance
    HID kit - 6000k
    H&R Sport Springs
    Bilstein Shocks and Struts
    Black Vinyled Roof
    Tinted Taillights
    12mm Spacers In Rear
    18 Inch VIP Status Rims (18x8 all around)
    Magnaflow 14833 Muffler
    H&R Front & Rear Sway Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Sulaco View Post
    Yes, airbags and horn plugs can work, but the multi function buttons that control other things will never work.

W124's technology is almost entirely still a design from 1986. A 1995 only has a slightly updated look to it, but all the same technology.

The steering will will bolt up just fine, but you won't have the function of anything except airbag and horn.
    Thanks Sulaco.
    I thought there were buttons for volume up and volume down for the audio,I think there is a way to make them work too,am not sure.
    thanks again