Thread: Buzzing from overhead light housing

Buzzing from overhead light housing

I started my c280 this morning and heard a soft buzzing noise coming from the overhead light housing. I thought it might be a short with the bulbs, so I pulled them both out to see if it would stop but it did not.I tried to pinpoint the exact area of the housing, but could not. This carried on for over 40 mins. I tried turning the lights on and off and also opening and closing the sun roof. After I turned the car off it buzzed for about 10 seconds and then fizzled out. Turned the car back on and off a few times and it did the same thing. Has anyone had the same problem or have any idea of what might be wrong. It did rain yesterday and I'm not sure if that had anythingt odo with it.
    1997 C280
    Pioneer 7700MP
    MB Quart Components
    Alpine Type R 6x9\'s

you're not the first to have this problem, and its going to be a tough one to search for. lemme see what i can dig up for you - try looking for posts by jnenad or renn208 regarding this issue; there was a part that can be replaced fairly inexpensively to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Wow. Who knew there would be a fan up there. Does this mean that the Climate Control is not working correctly if the fan is not working.
    1997 C280
    Pioneer 7700MP
    MB Quart Components
    Alpine Type R 6x9\'s

I had that buzzing problems also but when I removed the bulbs it stopped, but when I looked at it the plastic around the metal connecter was brown and slightly melted.
    1999 C230 Kompressor
    HK TrafficPro GPS, Avantgarde grill, 35% Tint, 17\" AMG 170, HK Drive+Play iPod interface.

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13470

Clean contacts

Did you ever replace the bulbs and clean the contacts
    1997 C280
    Pioneer 7700MP
    MB Quart Components
    Alpine Type R 6x9\'s

Greatest thread ever. I've been having this problem for around 3 months now and ive been on this site numerous times since then, just never thought to search. I took out the panel and unplugged the "fan" and now the noise is gone. Dont need it right now because my evaporator is leaking so no a/c this summer.