Thread: If your blinker/turn signal/intermittant wipers stop

If your blinker/turn signal/intermittant wipers stop

Here is a possible solution for:

No intermittant wipers AND/OR No turn signal AND/OR No hazard flash.

Had all these things quit on my wife's 1994 C280. They are all controlled by a "combination relay" referred to in the prints as "N10".

To access this combination relay, open the fuse box cover on the fuse group under the hood, near the windshield on the drivers side.

Next, use a phillips head screwdriver to remove the 6 black screws holding the top cover on. ( The screws are captive, they dont actually come out of the cover but you loosen them all the way)

When you remove this top cover, you will uncover a group of modules closer to the windshield. The biggest one is N10. Its black. Pull this out by hand, it should come out easily. It is keyed so it can only be inserted one way. My relay, the original, had printed on the side:

201 821 00 47

05 8983 01
    12V/2(4)x21W
    max.6x32cp

DOT SAE
    J590e/945b
    @ 719043

Now using some small jewellers flathead screwdrivers, carefully pry off the cover on the combination module. Dont stick screwdrivers way in there or you may damage the stuff inside.
    With a little patience it comes right off, and if you crack the cover it doesnt matter; no one can see it anyway, right?

You will see a printed circuit board with 3 relays on it. Where the board meets the plastic base, there are a row of solder points where the board is connected to the pins and base. Do a careful examination of these connection points for cracked solders. If you find any, you can remelt them with a soldering iron. I could see two cracked solders on that bottom row of my relay.

Assembly is the reverse.

Perhaps, like me, you will find a cracked solder, fix it, and get your car back working for only a 1/2 hours time invested, no money, no parts.

At least, if you are going to buy another one anyway, take the old one apart first and give it a go. What have you got to lose?

Good luck.
    1994 C280, my own private hell.

i replaced mine when my car started acting up. good write up!
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

mazdalowandslow
    Sticky this! great write up man!

...and when that doesn't work, replace the turn/wiper stalk switch!

Yep, been there, done the duty and got the T-shirt!

I get some good info here. It's proper to give something in return.

I'm sure I will have additional contributions, as my wife's car breaks on a weekly basis. I don't want to take the shine off your enjoyment of any MB vehicles you may have, but as for this involuntary MB mechanic, I will absolutely not buy my wife another one. I'm 40 years old and have never owned a less reliable vehicle. I am not here by choice.

It would tax my memory to write a full list of all the failures the thing has had in the past 8 years. But she loves it! Go figure.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Hah! I've had screwy wipers/indicators for like 6 years now. I didn't want to spend the $200 for a new relay. With your suggestion and a $6 soldering iron, I fixed it in 10 minutes. Genius!

Now if I can only get my hands on a new sunroof, convenience control relay, TBA, head unit, O2 sensors, MAF, plug wires, shocks, a-frame bushings (with hydraulic press to install them...), 1 door check, and a COMPLETE overhaul of my ACC system.

But thanks for the tip! Worked like a charm!
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-

We're all in this together.

Oh, and I left out headliner... I'm ok with most of the problems. But knowing my headliner is draping in the back like a 1992 pontiac grand am... maddening.
    94 C280, 250k miles, 1999-2011 (gone, never forgotten)
    CURRENT:
    744 Silver 99 C43 AMG, 260k miles, 2011-
    040 Black 98 C43 AMG, 190k miles, 2013-