Thread: Need help with separating ball joint from control arm..

Need help with separating ball joint from control arm..

I know that is is held by a 22mm but what type of tool do you use? It looks like my ratchet will not be able to fit with the 22mm socket attached... And also, do people just hammer it out?
    1997 C280 Sport

I usually use a wrench or an impact socket, but if you are having trouble fitting a tool over it, you are probably trying to take a shortcut you need to open up the upper arm nut and pull the spindle toward yourself and to get to that point you need to remove the spring safely, either doing it the old fashioned way or by using a spring compressor.
    as you can see, there is no such thing as a free lunch so to speak
    2002 S500
    2002 CLK430 w/ 5.5L swap
    2002 SLK32 AMG
    2003 S430 w/ 5.0L swap
    2000 ML55 AMG

I will give it a try today with a 22mm open wrench..
    1997 C280 Sport

I was able to loosen the 22mm bolt behind the brake shield but couldnt get the bolt off because the upper control armwas in the way. Tried to lift/lower the lower control arm but no luck. Decided to tighten it back up then remove the other end of the ball joint bolt. Then I ran into trouble again because I couldn't bang off the control arm...

Failed attempt...Gonna have someone take a look at it next week..
    1997 C280 Sport

remove the bottom 22mm nut with a impact gun. then hammer that out of the spindle (3lb sledge works for me - usually 1-3 hits). now if you on the left side, turn the wheel all the way to the left or all the way to the right if you doing the right ball joint. you can now access the top 22mm nut and use a impact gun as well. take a pipe or even vise grips to hold the bottom of the ball joint from spinning. re-install in reverse procedure. i have alway done this on a lift so i put a screw jack under the control arm just to be safe. you still have some safety as the shock is still bolted to the lower arm. if your doin this on the floor then simply put a floor jack under the lower arm just for safety.
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

Originally posted by 1995c280
    remove the bottom 22mm nut with a impact gun. then hammer that out of the spindle (3lb sledge works for me - usually 1-3 hits). now if you on the left side, turn the wheel all the way to the left or all the way to the right if you doing the right ball joint. you can now access the top 22mm nut and use a impact gun as well. take a pipe or even vise grips to hold the bottom of the ball joint from spinning. re-install in reverse procedure. i have alway done this on a lift so i put a screw jack under the control arm just to be safe. you still have some safety as the shock is still bolted to the lower arm. if your doin this on the floor then simply put a floor jack under the lower arm just for safety.
    The thing is, took off the other bolt, facing the floor/back of the car. Then I tried to separate it from the ball joint and couldn't even get it to get loose..
    1997 C280 Sport

the bolt wouldn't come loose off of the balljoint - use an impact gun.

the balljoint wouldn't come loose from the arm - use a 3lb hammer and don't be shy. hit it HARD. it's the old joint which you will be throwing away.

i've had some that were really rusted and i had to hit them like 5-6 times but i've always magaged to get every one out. if they are really rusted the old alignment pin from the old balljoint will stay in the lower control arm in which case you can try and heat it and then remove with vise grips or i just leave it in there and then remove the pin from the new joint. all it does is serve as aligning the joint straight.
    Jason

2006 BMW 525XI (Silver Gray Metallic)
    -----------------------------------------------
    1995 C280 (Smoke Silver Metallic) - 348,900 Original Miles - SOLD March 2010
    1988 Saleen Mustang - 1 Of Only 17 - 50,514 Original Miles - SOLD June 2009

should have paid me $150 to have all that fun, would have had it done in a couple hours!
    white 97' C230 (sold)
    white 94' C280 (sold)
    white 98' C43 (sold)
    Tektite 03' E55 (sold)
    Black 86' Porsche 951 (sold)
    Black 98' C43 (sold)
    Emerald Black 97' C36 (current)
    Black 04' E55 (wife's current)

Originally posted by RemoLexi
    should have paid me $150 to have all that fun, would have had it done in a couple hours!
    Haha, it looks pretty simple just my damn ball joint won't separate.. You think PB Blaster will work? I also have a rubber malet that I found. Gonna give it another try this weekend.
    1997 C280 Sport