Thread: "Engine on wire"

"Engine on wire"

Does anyone know where or if the there is an "engine on" wire in the 202??,i want to use a turbo timer to operate the AC exchanger pump after the engine is stopped,which will help with keeping my turbo coolant hose and bearing life up.

Also,thanks Stricklyspeakn for the ariel amp wiring info.

Cheers
    Paul
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Glad it helped Paul.

You want a wire to be able to tell if the engine is running so that when it isn't energized you can energize a circuit to trigger the AC pump.

If I understand you, wouldn't a feed from the alternator be your solution?

I don't really think I completely grasp what you want because in trying to imagine the design of your circuit, it seems a little complicated. But considering the things you have managed with your engine, I put NOTHING past you.

12V from alternator energizing a relay keeping it open. When the 12V disappears, relay closes, activating 12V from the battery to another relay which is controlled by your turbo timer.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

-------------------------
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.

Hey,
    Yes thats what im tying to achieve,in basic terms i want to install a turbo timer which controls my pump rather than the ignition key,however the wiring installation instructions for the turbo timer show an "engine on wire"...which i havent come accross before.

the alternator idea has prompted a few thoughts,I couldnt connect directly to the alternator as it see's a perminant 12v from the battery,however there is another wire(small)coming from the alternator...im not sure of its purpose,it may be a back indication of some sort,will look into it more!,thanks man.

Paul

That is the charge indicator I think. It will run to the instrument cluster eventually.

Let's see how that works out for you.

Any idea what the turbo timer is looking for as its input? Hopefully it is a low draw control lead.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Order shall return.

Thanks,i will investigate it further,hopefully the charge indication is 12v we could possibley use that as the timer input will be milli amps!

Edit:just a thought,for you to get an alarm on the dash for the alternator not charging you would first need to know if the engine was running,so there must be an "engine on" indication from the ECU somewhere?...maybe

Cheers,
    Paul

Making me work for this huh??

There seem to be a bunch of sensors which go into the ME-SFI module. Things that even the engineers have probably even forgotten about. What the heck is a Camshaft Hall sensor anyway?

Do you have Cruise Control?
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Order shall return.

I have a complete wiring schematic for a 2000 W202 with a V6 motor. I'm not sure how dissimilar the wiring diagrams are, but if you want I can post up some of my diagrams if you'd like.

Originally posted by strictlyspeakin
    Making me work for this huh??

There seem to be a bunch of sensors which go into the ME-SFI module. Things that even the engineers have probably even forgotten about. What the heck is a Camshaft Hall sensor anyway?

Do you have Cruise Control?
    haha ,Na i dont have cruise control!,iv disconnected most of the wires between the engine and oe ECU,which only leaves the cam/cranks sensors + 3/4 other wires and the CAN system still connected...its possible one of those wires is and engine on,or its sent over the CAN system.

Blitzen99,thanks for the offer,i will do a few more tests and if i cant find it will let you know!.

cheers,
    Paul

OG Moderator
    I'll see if I can find anything for you Paul.
    I'll check a few wiring diagrams.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

I hope someone else can chime in then because i don't see anything as obvious as "engine on".

The Germans would probably just use a logic chain. This sensor, that sensor and this other senson is returning data, therefore the engine is on.

I was trying to think outside the box with the cruise control. The only time that would be active is when the engine was on. That sort of idea.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Order shall return.

OG Moderator
    The only things I can come up with are either the crank sensor or the alternator as an "engine on" signal.
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Originally posted by strictlyspeakin
    I hope someone else can chime in then because i don't see anything as obvious as "engine on".

The Germans would probably just use a logic chain. This sensor, that sensor and this other senson is returning data, therefore the engine is on.

I was trying to think outside the box with the cruise control. The only time that would be active is when the engine was on. That sort of idea.

Originally posted by SLAMMED_C The only things I can come up with are either the crank sensor or the alternator as an "engine on" signal.

Thanks for checking guys,i thought it would be logic chain as well and there more than likely is!...however...i did a night shift at work the other day and was lying in bed the next morning shattered but still thinking about cars...then it hit me...could "engine on" just simply be the key switch position(ECU on/fuel pump on) before crank?...
    Further more,a turbo timer will not do the job...i need a falling trigger(when the engine stops) to start the pump...iv found a small 12v timed circuit board for alarm systems that accepts a falling trigger so this hopefully will do the trick.

Thanks for checking the wiring for me!

Regards,
    Paul

Now I'm confused. Happens at this time of night anyway...

Turbo Timer keeps the car running to allow a cool down period correct?
    You wanted to use the A/C heat exchanger pump to help this process, no?

I presumed that you did not have a turbo timer enabled since you were asking about a feed for it. I further presumed that you intended to use the output to fool/force the pump into activating.

This might be a silly misinterpretation on my part, but what do you mean by heat exchanger pump?

I like your idea of a fuel pump lead, that's the kind of out of the box thinking I was talking about. And I may be confusing my cars but I think that wouldn't work for you. That circuit could be energized in both the on and off states.

Go easy on me it's been a looong day.
    \'94 C220
    Black.

Chaos reigns within.
    Order shall return.

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

I always thought turbo timer had two 12v supplies to them. One constant power from the battery and second on that is on switched (key on) power. The key on power lets the car know if it's running then when you switch off the ignition it knows the engine is off and goes to work.