Originally posted by 23K
The difference in a good pipe bender as it does a tight radius without collapsing or scoring the pipe,most of the benders in this catagory are a set of dies with a roller that follows the shape of the die,Iv had a look at alot of benders priced from $50 - 300 and you get very little for your money,infact it may be cheaper to make one!,as you say the other option was to have the local tube bending croud do it with there mandrel bending gear,however they needed 80mm between bends and bending up some wire + getting it right the first time was unlikely without the car onsite,so that will be the last resort.

The problem with the wastegate mounting is the pipe must come off around the collector somwhere(unless you bring it off individual pipes),which you will find tight as a tight thing once you get all the other pipes in there around it.
You have one major advantage not having the steering box there so you may be able to do all sorts of tricky things with the waste even if you go twin scroll.

Will be interesting to see the electric fan install!,are you moving the radiator forward because of the water pump?...if so another option is to run the N/A models pump and pump pully...give alot more space!.moving the rad foward might also clash with how the A/C fans mount,could be tricky.

The defi display just does oil temp/press,water temp,exhaust temp and fuel press. it doesnt do boost or afr,boost is best monitored on a gauge!,the boost gauge and the defi display link to the controller in between the seats.i also had a greddy multi switch in there which i was going to use to control the electric fans...but then i ended up just using the viscous so i removed and sold it
look forward to seeing the new gear!. sorry no new pics on cardomain i havent had it out for months,still waiting on the exhaust parts/divert valve so i can get it running again.

Just a thought on the wastgate topic(been thinking but it for days^^)the size it needs to be is somewhat dependant on a combination of your turbine size vs shaft speed(boost) Vs exhaust volume...in other words if you run a small turbine with low boost its likley you would need a fairly large wastegate...however if you ran high boost on the exact same housing you wouldnt need such a big gate as most of the exhaust gas would go through the turbine,likewise if you ran a large turbine there is lesser need for a large wastegate.
Another thought is weather or not a small wastegate at wide open flows better than a large wastegate that only opens slightly to give the equivilant however thinking more into it i dont think flow would make any difference as they both will open enough to allow the right amount to keep the desired boost level(which is contriversial to what i said earlier about good wastegate flow making it more efficient) ....one possible negative of a large gate may be that it will flow too much to quickly which could see you with boost stablitity problems...hmmmm

Anyways im sure you will but before you buy a gate have a good talk the tuners!

laters bro,
paul
This pipe bender sounds pretty heavy duty! it doesn't seem too cost effective to buy your own to use it once. I understand the whole thing with having to take the car to someone to have the pipes bent up to fit perfectly. but maybe the whole using some thicker gauge wire or thin pipe you can easily bend may work well as a template for them.

I still think I'll be a little better off then you were when you had to run all those pipes and the turbo.. I have a lot more space.. the power steering box not being there on my car gives me more options I think. but we will find out when I get to that point!
The electric fan has been on the back burner for a loooooong time! but I have all the parts, and after test fitting it and it NOT fitting at all, I had a look at a no kompressor w202 M111, I figured out the rad is moved further towards the front of the car. so after I move my rad, it will fit! and the small electric fans out front will be removed and disposed of! the 98 C230 does not have any fans in the front for the a/c.. so I wont be using them either.
Oh okay.. that system looks pretty sweet, all the gauges in the defi display are of great use, plus they are all in one unit, its very tidy. I agree you need a separate boost gauge and A/F gauge, probably more accurate.
some food for thought there on the waste gate, but I will for sure have to talk to someone about it when I get a hold of this guy to talk about my turbo options.

supercharger system being removed, Kleemann kit being removed, and then the N/A belt drive install is all set for friday! gonna be a long night.. hopefully not!