Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Im going to TURBO my W202!!

OG Moderator
    Im not sure at all why they are so different.. the rad width is identical, but the core thickness seems to be thicker on the 1999 rad (my old rad), Im not too concerned about it though as I think this set up will be able to flow more air with the huge suction fan mounted in front of it!
    the trans oil cooler is still built onto the 1999 rad but its actually more on the end tank, more built in, where as the 1998 one looks like a separate tank stuck on the side! I've ordered the trans lines, so I should be getting those in tomorrow.
    as for the aux water pump, I think I will have to move it before the turbo goes in, so I'm holding off on ordering the hose for now.

I had thought about using the stainless braided hose for the entire intercooler system, its not that expensive for the braided line.. definitely more expensive then regular heat resistant hose no doubt.. but its $3.99 a foot for the braided stainless hose. I'll be insulating anywhere that the braided lines touch.

turbo oil feed will for sure be either braided or solid line, most likely SS, and the return line, well Im not sure yet.

I have thought about that a lot actually, but I don't know if the cooling properties would be the same for an oil cooler, I don't know if the fin size and design would warrant good cooling.
    I have found one that is PERFECT.. the evosport one, but the heat exchanger alone is $450! I'm going to ask if he can give it to me any cheaper. all he can say is no right?!

thats good.. nice weekend away with the girl is always relaxing and fun!
    good to see you got some pipe bent up!.. and I must say it turned out absolutely amazing Paul, nice work. is that SS or Aluminum pipe? very nice mang.
    I must say it probably isn't easy at all to get the to line up perfectly like that. really nice work. I'm very impressed.

what size fitting did you use to convert the coolant bleeder on the block to the fittings you used?
    and also, the pic I posted last post about the oil feed from the block.. am I right on that one?

*EDIT* I just ordered my liquid to air barrel style intercooler from frozenboost.com, should have that in 6-10 days!
    *2002 E320 4Matic Wagon* Daily
    --Not lowered—18" Alphards—Stock exhaust.
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

*1999 C230K Turbo* Track Car
    --18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

Yeh i think you will be just fine with the n/a cooling setup,the electric fan sure looks tidy!!

Sounds like you have the hoses sorted,$4CAD per foot is much cheaper than here!...what do the hose ends cost there?(eg 90 Degree)

Surely there must be more available than the evo sport cooler?,$450 is pretty pricey lol but if its made for the job and fits perfect than i guess its a go-er!. have you got any pics of the evosport?

Thanks mang!,lucky the alloy 3/8 tube is cheap($12nzd per 5m)...i used about 4m trying to make just that one part^^...then found its more efficient to make the prototype in sections and use hose to stick em together...then bend the final off that!

Where my coolant comes out of the block iv taken a fitting and machined the AN off the top,then drill and tapped an M14x1.5 into its centre to allow the -6 Banjo to bolt up,i forget what size the thread is into the block(just ran down stairs to find the old drain fitting but could find it^^)

Nope thats the chain tensioner,if you release it remember to reset it before reinstall!...heres a pic of the oil feed:

Cool will be interesting to see how this FB cooler fits in!

Will get you pics of the rad tank etc etc soon !!!
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Updates??? ...*brushes off the cobwebs^^
    Last edited by Pagz; 02-25-2011 at 10:31 AM.

im curious as well. ive been contemplating the turbo idea or the engine swap idea as well. then i just figured why not do an engine swap and then turbo that lol.

updates??? i hope

OG Moderator
    Yo Guys!
    Haven't been in here for so long.. forgot club202 was running again!

Can remember what I last posted about, and I'm too lazy to go and read through it all!
    Lots of progress.. not finished yet however. still have a lot to complete before I have her on her wheels and moving around again. I'm aiming for sometime in june.. hopefully at the latest mid june. but we shall see.
    At the moment I am waiting on some parts that I ordered. waiting on a bunch of AN fittings and hoses, injector connectors, intercooler hoses and pipe. I just got a bunch of stuff yesterday and earlier in the week. so I think I have my exhaust parts sorted out. got some 3" ss straight pipe, and 45degree and 60degree bends, I have all the v-bands already as well as the o2 sensor bungs. I also got yesterday my 4" intake pipe and my 2.75" boost pipe. so I will be able to start fabricating the boost pipe and full exhaust system. earlier in the week I got my magnaflow muffler and tips. its a 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlet, the tips are 3.5"

Well lets try and think about what I've gotten completed over the past 6-8 months..

bought a 6 speed manual trans from a 2001 SLK230K.. this trans will meet my car next year hopefully..

I got a new steering wheel..

I got new headlights and tail lights..

I ordered my Quaife LSD.. but they sent me the wrong one.. and I am still in talks with them about the proper one for my car. they do have the correct center section now, they have been trying to fabricate a way to keep the axle flanges clipped into the diff, they did say august they should have a produciton LSD ready for me. this is the incorrect one they sent me..

stock diff center compared to Quaiffe (incorrect for my car as I found out)..

I got a set of racing seats..

I worked on my custom interior wood trim, skulls!..

I bought a set of 17" multi-piece AMG wheels that I will use on the track.. 17x8.5 and 17x10..

to be continued next post..
    Lots Coming—3 piece 18" AMG Aero II—Custom Bags—Wide Fenders—W210 E55 Engine Swap with 4matic—

--18" SL55 AMG's--KW V2 Suspension--SLK55 Front and Rear Brake--Wiechers Braces--Custom GT28 Turbo--Custom 3" Exhaust--68mm Throttle body--450cc Injectors--Custom Intake Manifold--Custom liquid to air intercooler--C36 Rear--Brabus Front--

OG Moderator
    Bought some more parts for my future 6 speed manual transmission swap.. flywheel, pedal assembly..

I installed a new oil pan with a return fitting on it..

I got my valve cover powder coated red..

I got some SLK55 AMG front and rear brake calipers.. I sent them out and had them stripped down and powder coated red!

I also installed the brakes on my car..

I had custom shims made out of delrin for my KW variant2 coil over kit..

continued next post..

OG Moderator
    I then installed my full KW suspension after receiving the shocks back from KW (had them rebuilt)..

test fit the liquid intercooler..

I installed the turbo manifold, the valve cover, the turbo, all the feed and return lines, the intake manifold flange

Installed a custom washer tank/oil seperator..

also installed a custom coolant tank..

continued next post..

OG Moderator
    I cut open the bottom side of the front bumper support so I could weld in a steel plate to mount the heat exchanger to..

I ordered a bunch of aluminum intake and ss exhaust parts..

ordered my magnaflow muffler and tips..

started to fabricate my HKS boost controller bracket..

Now I am able to do some more work after the welding I had done this morning.. I had the steel plate welded in. will take some pics this afternoon and post them up. now I can install the rad again and figure out my coolant hoses. start to figure out my boost pipe and work towards figuring out my exhaust.
    I still have some parts on order as I mentioned at the start of my long update!, so I hope those make it to me this week. I will be able to get a lot of things done over the next few weeks as long as I get everything I ordered.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything!! more updates to come.

Wow!!! That's a lot of stuff. How much does the caliper cost you and where did you get it from?
    I'm interested in those caliper for my E55 if they got them.
    Last edited by JRE320; 05-07-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

where did ya get that exhaust/turbo manifold?

OG Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JRE320 View Post
    Wow!!! That's a lot of stuff. How much does the caliper cost you and where did you get it from?
    I'm interested in those caliper for my E55 if they got them.
    yes.. lots and lots of stuff! still more parts coming as well!
    the calipers weren't too cheap.. cost me about $2000 for all 4 calipers (cheaper than the dealer however), and then you still need brake discs and pads on top of that.
    I bought them from parts.com. had the best price I could find.

OG Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gakz View Post
    where did ya get that exhaust/turbo manifold?
    It was custom made. I bought it off of a fellow member when he was parting out his car.

OG Moderator
    A couple updates...
    Had the steel plate welded in yesterday morning. turned out very nice, also test fit my muffler and tips to see how it will sit and see if there are any clearance issues. not sure if I should run the tips straight or do them staggered. took a flick of each.. chime in with feedback on that. and then finally test fit my 4" intake pipe and AEM 4" air filter.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by SLAMMED_C View Post
    yes.. lots and lots of stuff! still more parts coming as well!
    the calipers weren't too cheap.. cost me about $2000 for all 4 calipers (cheaper than the dealer however), and then you still need brake discs and pads on top of that.
    I bought them from parts.com. had the best price I could find.
    It's pain in the ass for the calipers. It will cost me $1792 just for the front only.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

OG Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JRE320 View Post
    It's pain in the ass for the calipers. It will cost me $1792 just for the front only.
    Where you looking for calipers? is that $1792 for OEM fronts?
    The SLK55 calipers (fronts) I got were the regular AMG brakes.. so they clear 17" wheels.. which is good for me and my 17' track wheels!.. but there are also the performance package SLK55 front calipers.. still a 6 piston caliper but a bit larger.. and they also require the slightly larger discs (I think the PP calipers and discs are off of the CLK63 BS).
    Im not sure the cost of Rotors for the stock SLK55 brakes.. I'm guessing around 6-800 a piece.. pads around about $300 a set (fronts).. rears I'm not sure the price of discs and pads.. cant remember! but you still have the cost of discs and pads on top of the $2000 for the Calipers. but if you only want to upgrade the fronts.. you could probably do the fronts for about the same price you got quoted. just a matter of finding the discs and pads cheaper.. I bet parts.com sells them.
    oh.. only issue I had on the parts.com site was they don't list an SLK55 brake parts.. for some reason it comes up as an SL55.. they are wrong. so contact them and they can get you what you need.. or give part numbers and they can get you info on price and stock.

yes, it's the front only. Thank you.
    E55 2000
    M-3 2014

Yo!

I vote keep tips straight

Why did you cut the chassis? ....is that an Air to Air i can see^^

The OZ amg's are just plain sick!...

Black silicone looks nice,i use that either side of the IC,was planning to do the whole lot but...well you know the story...

i agree with pagz, keep those tips straight!

3rd vote for straight
    \'94 C220
    Black.

-------------------------
    Chaos reigns within.
    Reflect, repent, and reboot.
    Order shall return.
    -------------------------

OG Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagz View Post
    Yo!

I vote keep tips straight

Why did you cut the chassis? ....is that an Air to Air i can see^^

The OZ amg's are just plain sick!...

Black silicone looks nice,i use that either side of the IC,was planning to do the whole lot but...well you know the story...
    Yeh I think straight is the way to go with the tips. good call!
    cut the chassis to make a good spot to mount my heat exchanger for the liquid to air intercooler. it should work well! nope, no air to air.. going Liquid!
    damn right those OZ's are sick.. hella sick and rare! cant wait to get some race tires on them. probably gonna order tires for them soon.
    I like the black silicone.. I had thought about going with red.. but decided it would be too much colour.. so stuck with black.

Quote Originally Posted by gakz View Post
    i agree with pagz, keep those tips straight!
    noted!!

Quote Originally Posted by strictlyspeakin View Post
    3rd vote for straight
    and noted! straight it is.

staggered is nicer the euro look and OME look

Yeh if the bumper is more rounded...the C36 bumper is near square so staggerd would just look odd.

Ross - if you can get the angle of the muffler body the same as the bottom of the spare wheel well so it angles up slightly and dead straight ,makes for a very clean look...flat or pointing down is hidious but each to there own =)
    Last edited by Pagz; 05-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.

OG Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagz View Post
    Yeh if the bumper is more rounded...the C36 bumper is near square so staggerd would just look odd.

Ross - if you can get the angle of the muffler body the same as the bottom of the spare wheel well so it angles up slightly and dead straight ,makes for a very clean look...flat or pointing down is hidious but each to there own =)
    I'll have to keep that in mind when I tackle my exhaust! thanks for the tip.

I did some work on my car again.. dont have any pics of the work I did (except for one) got a bit dark and I forgot to bring my camera.. my phone cam has no flash so nothing would have shown! snapped one pic of my LED tails installed with my phone though as outside I could see a bit.
    been mainly concentrating on getting the coolant lines all figured out. I have almost completed all the alloy coolant pipes. just 2 more to finish up and I can move onto other things. I'll get it all completed sunday for sure.
    will have pics sunday of the work I have completed.

OG Moderator
    Worked on the sleeping beast again.. got a bit done. I'm getting excited as I can now see things coming together!!
    I worked on the final coolant pipes I was making out of aluminum, also started on the boost pipe.
    most of the things were in place for a test fit of all the parts.. check clearances and such. everything is looking good so far, need to order some more hoses! story of my life. so hopefully I can get those ordered up from SAMCO asap. then it will be off to the welders to get all the aluminum pipes welded together.
    I think this coming weekend I will be tackling the exhaust. looks like it will be a pain in the ass to do.. but Im up for the challenge! going to borrow a buddies chop saw and a buddies mig welder so I can tack all the pipe in place. once its all tacked and how I want it.. I'll drop it off at the welders as well to have it SS tig welded.
    I also started pulling open my stock engine wiring harness.. need to do some modifications to it (shorten some wires, lengthen others) I think that will be a good task for next weekend as well.
    I have figure out a spot for the intercooler reservoir as well.. so I need to fabricate a bracket for that, and I have also decided to put the MAS on the boost pipe leading into the throttle body, so I need to fab up a flange for the MAS to bolt to on the side of the boost pipe. work on those this week at work.

Well on to the pics.. got a few of the items I have been working on.. as well as an engine shot with all the parts in place.. you get an idea of what it will look like once complete!!
    The Pics!...

Last edited by SLAMMED_C; 05-15-2011 at 01:43 PM.