Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber (The poor mans way)

Carbon Fiber (The poor mans way)

So the old saying "A mod a day keeps the mod bug away". Im addicted to modding ...

More or less what the interior looked like before (The wood trim) and After.

What I had to destroy!!!!

End product

Lessons learned:

-Know how to take the shifter nob off beforehand... Mine is loose now, and the emblem at the top is off. DAMMIT!!!!

-It will not come out perfect

-Heat gun should stay away 4 - 6 inches, or you risk melting the sticker and starting all over again

-Use sharp razors, no scissors or knives!

-Be careful when removing the center console, you may snap stuff.

-Dont get screws mixed up or lost...

-Dont rub to hard or you risk fading the carbon fiber.

-Edges are a pain the in arse to do!

-Patience is a virtue, no getting red face or you will break something.

-Remember the order for your top buttons... seriously...

-Remember to connect everything, TAKE YOUR TIME!!!!

You can learn how to do all that and more by checking past threads at Club202, and for videos, check out W201n202 on Youtube, he has lots of helpful videos for the W202 and the center console removal.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Yujin; 07-27-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Did you use 3M Dinoc? And I'm guessing the only picture that isn't your car is the wood grain one.

I wish I used 3M, I used whatever was at PepBoys/Autozone. Seemed like good quality. (My friend has the same on his lexus) I thought it was good Lol. Budget kills ...

Yeah, the wood grain isnt my car, I wish I had the temp unit rather than the idiot proof buttons. Would have made the job that much easier.

3M works great as long as you're careful not to scratch it. I wrapped all of my door handle and the moulding on the trunk lid for about $15. Not bad but I'd rather have my door handles painted white to match the rest of my car!

Yeah, Im going to put clear coat on the trim to atleast give it some protection

Did you dash change completely also ? Why is the first picture not the same dash..... not the same climate control and the storage compartment. Also how did it go from 3 buttons to 4. with the tow package ? up top where the hazards are. Or are you just pulling pictures form the internet. Lets see YOUR dash.

Sd202, Jesus man read the fine print! lol Your killing me! the first picture I am comparing the wood grain, I should have mentioned that, to the new carbon fiber look.

I did the center dash, cig tray, cup holder and the shifter/power window area.

I might tear it out anyways, its not to my liking.

my bad i didnt read through all the post lol. But WHAT !!! why ? it looks good. just like the sport trim! although the wood is classy.

Theres like, rubbing spots and a few air bubbles. And the edges near the ac units are not sticking so it is peeling having a cheap look. Ill see, maybe ill keep it. I already miss my wood trim lol

Well if you are already missin the wood trim then wood it has to be! I was going to wrap my trim in CF after seeing my buddy do his 210 it looks super easy to do.

Be sure you get the quality grade stuff, the 3M trimming I hear is the best.

3M is the way to go

Was that easy to mold?

Where is a good place to get 3M CF? I want to redo my interior console, it looks like shit with fake CF

It took me hours to do as the back side of each handle was tricky. I'd have to heat up the loose edges and then put superglue underneath them so they'd stick. Definitely use a hair dryer if you're not a pro with the heat gun. Flat surfaces are really easy though!

I bought a two-square foot piece of this stuff for about $15 from ebay. With that, I was able to do all four door handles and the trunk moulding two (or maybe even three) times. I messed up the trunk moulding by cutting too small of pieces!

Yeah, I just ordered 80$ worth of 3M Carbon Fiber vinyl from a store, 60 x 36. The cheap shit I bought is already starting to peel >:[...

Let this be a lesson to those of you who want to put Carbon Fiber vinyl in your car - BUY QUALITY STUFF, spend the extra money, for extra quality.

i did mine today, didnt do it with the 3m stuff though..

Now thats super sex! I cant wait to do mine. Did you have trouble with the edges? Did you use any adhesive? Clearcoat? High gloss?

im a complete nooby, this was my first time.. I used NO adhesive, i didnt even know you were meant to? All i used was a stanley, 2 craft knives and a pair of razor sharp scissors, oh and a hairdryer.
    I had a few problems with the edges, but i just trimmed one side off and overlapped it with the other, if that makes sense? Its pretty fun, and you get very into it after the first one!

the 3m stuff is the job i have done a interior also with it and put it on the shelf for one day when i need to sell or use
    c36 ///AMG ,,, c240 v6 sport

ypkx is right on the money. The key thing is the overlap the edges so that it looks almost exactly like it's a factory job done right. If overlapping the edges doesn't work (or if it keeps on peeling), use a hair dryer - if you cut it too short, it helps to spray the backside with a little bit of aerosol glue.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

Well, Ill be much more happier with 3M vinyl rather than the ones from Autozone/Pepboys. Quality, texture and feel are worlds apart compared to the cheap stuff from autozone. I will probably be using the glue next time. The stuff from pepboys or autozone, it seems to fade from rubbing it, and it scratches REALLLY easily. You cant even stretch the stuff without it starting to melt (using low setting hair dryer)

Be sure to pick up an application kit (exact-o knife and application squeegee) for a hardware store. Those two cheap tools go a long way during the application process.
    ====================

2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

ive virtually wrapped everythingin the car that i wanted to :P even this;

That is so much different than US W202s, but then again, I guess there's no need for a huge armrest when you're shifting gears.

Awesome wrap job ypkx

Now only if we got manual transmissions over across the pond =(
    ====================

2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================