Thread: Any ideas on a heat sheild for my KN intake?

Any ideas on a heat sheild for my KN intake?

I got my KN air filter intake and i was wondering if i can get a head sheild anywhere or make a custom one, OR is it fine the way it is?

any advice would be appreciated thanks!

btw its a 98 classic c230

Heat shield is a must. Your sucking in hot air. You could try fabbing one up from sheet metal. It isnt hard to do.
    My W202 2000 C230 Kompressor
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

hmm Would i have to get it custom made or is there online places i can order to get this resolved?

i had mine run like that in my c280 for a few months and it was worse then stock. best bet is to definetly get a heat shield and run a longer intake tube so its farther away from the exhaust manifold

Hmm thing is i ran into a problem and i do have a longer tube but , the sensor connector does not fit through the tube so i had to use it like that. So it will get worse as so on? Any ideas on how to create a heat shield around it?

Yeah, try to get it a bit longer if possible. You can build yourself a heat shield, its not hard, you just have to force yourself to do it. Open your engine bay, buy some sheet metal, and sheet metal cutters, and start measuring and imagining where you want the heat shield.

Here is my setup.

All it is, is cutting and keeping in mind your want to seperate the heated parts from the intake. Hope this helps.

Also, be sure to buy thin sheet metal, you could buy thick sheet metal, its just manipulating it that will make for some extra work.
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

Quote Originally Posted by seikencube View Post
    LOL, that wont do much. Cuase your whole engine bay is getting hot, so you have to seperate the heat from the intakes as best you can.
    Like us on Facebook!

LOL worth a try, I do have a longer tube but my sensor that connects it wont fit through the tube and i will just have a hole in extension tube for my intake any suggestions?

You could try to buy a couplar (The blue thing)... Idk if that will work. I will take a look at a C280 in the morning (luckily my brother owns one) and see what can be done.
    Like us on Facebook!

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDetai.../pagenum1/tabS

Thats exactly what i have i need to connect my air sensor to that middle hole. also thing is i dont think it will fit. And its like a weird tool to take off. I dont have a screwdriver that has 5 star with a dot in the middle ?

yeah, the black thing that connects is a couplar. Sucks that it has the throttle hole, idk why they designed that for your car with no throttle like mines. You could just put tape over that damn thing if cosmetics doesnt mean much to you. Find the tool, better to use the whole thing than just the filter, or else it was a waste of money, use the whole piece, figure out a way to close up that whole. and than work on the heat shield. In that order
    Like us on Facebook!

yujin i like your idea of the covering on the overflow hose coming off the coolant resovoir kkinda off topic though but thats a secure torx bolt the 5 star with a dot you can only get those as bits for say a nut driver or drill your best bet is to try your local hardware store for that tool

Quote Originally Posted by 95mbC280 View Post
    yujin i like your idea of the covering on the overflow hose coming off the coolant resovoir kkinda off topic though but thats a secure torx bolt the 5 star with a dot you can only get those as bits for say a nut driver or drill your best bet is to try your local hardware store for that tool
    Thanks, It looks kind of cheesy now, with it coming off Lol, I plan to actually buy cover it soon, if I find an extra 80$ lying around for the hose covering kit.

And thanks for your input on the bit, i was perplexed on that one haha.
    Like us on Facebook!

haha yea i have a few different sizes of wire braid hose at my job for truck air brakes i might get some to cover that line try and keep as much heat away from that filter as possible haha

Couldnt hurt, your in Taxachussettes?

In Winter time, my intakes should reap the benefits of really friggin cold air lol.
    Like us on Facebook!

born and raised lol with my intake i had, my car ran 100 times better this winter so the colds a must haha

I cant wait, I hate this rainny and muggy BS we been getting, been killing my car :/...
    Like us on Facebook!

same here but i just can't wait for the snow thats when the real fun starts haha

Mmm real wheel drive on slopes and going down hills, and all that drifting fun in the parking lots. Oh baby!

Only set backs are the salty roads.

You have pics of your car up here on Club202? You plan to add a Decal?
    Like us on Facebook!

not yet haven't had time but its black with gray interior needs some body work though its gotten a beating from driving back and forth to work

So i shouldnt leave it like this, or else i decrease hp as time goes by right? i need to extend it as far as possible right ?

Quote Originally Posted by seikencube View Post
    So i shouldnt leave it like this, or else i decrease hp as time goes by right? i need to extend it as far as possible right ?
    Yes, you will be sucking up heat which wont do you any good. Extend it, and build a heat shield around it.
    Like us on Facebook!

kk thanks for all your help guys!

In Charge
    Check out this Member's site and see if it can apply to you: http://www.2phast.com/C36/c36.htm
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci