Thread: Cold Air Intake - Homemade style

Cold Air Intake - Homemade style

So I was bored today, it was nice outside, and I have a garage full of junk/spare car parts.

I took some extra 3" aluminum intercooler piping I had laying around, a couple silicone couplers, and an old 3" AEM dryflow filter I had, and made an intake for my C36.

Removed the stock airbox and the passenger side foglight (never use them anyways). I thought about leaving the foglight and removing the air duct for the brakes (AMGs only) but I thought it was a neat feature by AMG so I decided to leave it.

Fortunately there is a small hole that is perfect for some piping to go through that is underneath the airbox, it is perfect for a cold air intake. Get that filter out of the engine bay and out in some fresh cool air.

It took some finessing, definitely a tight space to work with, but I got it all together and I think it looks pretty good. Oh and I slapped an AEM sticker on it to make it look legit haha. The piping is pretty banged up so I might rattle it black some day.

Here are some pics.

I still need to fab up some sort of shield because the filter is definitely exposed to water if you were driving in a storm. Luckily it rains like 10 days out of the year here in Vegas. I still have all my OEM splash guards on the bottom side also, so it is somewhat protected.

As far as power, to be honest, it seems like maybe it lost a little bit of low end torque, but it seems like it gained a little in the high RPM's. I also did the MAF mod so that helps up top also. Oh and it definitely sounds better than the stock airbox when WOT!

Next step is to make a new crossover pipe that is all aluminum, weld on fittings on the valve covers and mount up a oil catch can. I want to eliminate the crankcase breathers from going into the intake. This setup also needs a much longer cone filter to actually provide any significant gains.

Hey, can you take pics of the original C36 air intake box? (more so the under side of the air box) that would be awsome,thanks!

Nice work,I trimmed my hole to take a 4"^^,but unfortunately didnt end up using it.
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

^^what did u use to trim? Bc I wanna run a CAI also but I'm just runnin SRI right now bc the hole where the other piece of pipe goes is way too small. I'm thinking of maybe using a grid wheel to cut some medal away. I first gotta find a bypass valve to fit between the two pipes bc of water

Good job tho TurboIS_DJ, especially with spare parts. Haha