Thread: 1998 Mercedes C230 (Non-Kompressor) Custom CAI using Spectre components. Not a ''short-ram''.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1998 Mercedes C230 (Non-Kompressor) Custom CAI using Spectre components. Not a ''short-ram''.

Hey guys,

I'm Cory, just got validated to join the forum today.

I own a 1998 Mercedes C230 (non kompressor), 4spd auto. Green w/ tan leather.

204,000miles one owner, still gets 31mpg hwy lol.

MODS: NGK Iridium IX plugs, Mobil 1 0w-40 full syn, Custom 3in CAI

Here are some pictures.

Stage 1 of the CAI: 3in aluminum piping post MAF, into ''triangular'' hole in frame underneath factory airbox location, then a 6in pipe attached to filter. Filter is exposed to direct outside air with a ram air effect.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The picture below shows the only opening where underhood air could be pulled into by the filter, but once moving the ram air effect through vent/grill takes over eliminating the underhood heat. However I plan on blocking the opening off with some ABS plastic or similar.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Here are 0-70mph and 0-90mph videos with the Stage 1 CAI.

Here are some pictures of the Stage 2 upgrade: Consists of adding 3in pipe from the throttle body to the Pre MAF section. I noticed it was louder but a lot more responsive compared to stage 1. No videos yet, coming soon though.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope you all enjoyed, it was a cool project. Hardest part was getting the Spectre 90deg pipe trimmed to length to fit under the hood. Also, the breather/pcv system was a little tricky, but it all works!
    Last edited by Milenkogt; 02-09-2012 at 11:03 PM. Reason: a