Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED interior and gauge cluster

This is why im confused. One says this. Another says that. lol
    "anyone can drive a new car, it takes a true enthusiast to breath life into an older one"

i didnt get a good picture of it... it says on the bottom osram 12/1.2 then 148 on the rim

thanks...i already ordered the other ones that u said...hopefully its the right one...im tired of doing the research on it and getting nowhere..lol..to be honest it really irritated me haha..so i said eff it and told my homie to just get it and we'll see if it works or not, what sucks on the cluster is it had to be ordered
    "anyone can drive a new car, it takes a true enthusiast to breath life into an older one"

Quote Originally Posted by chimchongdlight View Post
    thanks...i already ordered the other ones that u said...hopefully its the right one...im tired of doing the research on it and getting nowhere..lol..to be honest it really irritated me haha..so i said eff it and told my homie to just get it and we'll see if it works or not, what sucks on the cluster is it had to be ordered
    I hear you. My method of figuring the bulbs out has been trial and error. So far I have two sets of bulbs at home that don't fit... but I'm getting closer to the right ones lol

lol so annoying...what year is ur car? and which bulbs have u tried that arent working?

i might not do this mod unless all my lights go out..

so interior is good... for now... hahaha

but yeah if you get the right ones post up!! haha

I will. Seriously this shouldnt be this annoying. Lol

I have a 1996 C280. I have tried buying these tiny T5 bulbs that didn't work because they didn't have the blue holders on them (for the 1.5W lights). The two replacements I bought for the T10 W5W 2W wedges didn't light up at all (seller's fault, another T10 I had laying around works). I also tried a set of B8.5D T5s that did not fit my cluster because they had these annoying plastic tabs angled 90 degrees away from the metal tabs. All said and done, all of these bulbs were pretty close to what I needed but had major flaws.

Damn. So i got the wrong ones hu. Is there anywhere else these bulbs would work on? Since u already have them. Might as well use em

What about for my climate control? Anyone know if itll fit there? Or even the gear shift?

Not necessarily, it would just depend on the shape of the ones you are getting. The next set of bulbs that are getting shipped to me right now are also B8.5D T5s, except they seem to not have this annoying plastic tab on them like the old ones did. I'm thinking they'll work.

Gotcha. So its not neccesarily the wrong bumb. But the wrong plastic
    Housing thing

Precisely. If I really felt like it, I could grind down the plastic tabs on the lights that don't fit, but the time it would take to do so vs. how much I spent on these bulbs doesn't justify it.

I understand. This is the answer ive been trying to search for

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    I tried 1.5W B8s in place of the odometer, temp, and time gauges and they just weren't working. Maybe I just have bad luck but I would bet on the fact that the replacements need to be 1.2W. Lucky for all of us, ebay.uk sells these in LEDs in a wide variety of colors.
    unlike incandescent bulbs, leds have polarity. if they do not work rotate 180' . also make sure your dimmer is set to brite.

Quote Originally Posted by autoxpresstech View Post
    unlike incandescent bulbs, leds have polarity. if they do not work rotate 180' . also make sure your dimmer is set to brite.
    The bulbs just turned out to be a bad batch. The new B8.5D bulbs fit perfectly and are bright!

Just to update, the B8.5D LEDs also worked for the time/temp/odometer slots so I guess the wattage difference wasn't an issue after all.

Got his mod done a few months ago. I got them from superbrightleds.com. They have a specification sheet for each one of their different types of LEDs. I just matched the back of the bulb holder/socket to the specs of the LEDs they have listed. Took about two hous and a good caliper. I took my time so wouldn't order the wrong one. Got them in less then a week. Everything fitted perfectly and didn't spend more then what I needed. Good luck.
    1997 C230

i just ordered 50 pc 3mm bulbs and resistors for all the switches and stuff $2.95 shipped will post pics when i get started and possibly my first diy thread

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle_202 View Post
    Got his mod done a few months ago. I got them from superbrightleds.com. They have a specification sheet for each one of their different types of LEDs. I just matched the back of the bulb holder/socket to the specs of the LEDs they have listed. Took about two hous and a good caliper. I took my time so wouldn't order the wrong one. Got them in less then a week. Everything fitted perfectly and didn't spend more then what I needed. Good luck.
    post pics please. How well do the LEDs light up? i still havent done this mod yet. Putting it on the back burner til i figure out exacly which bulbs are which. If anyone ends up ordering the right ones, would u mind ordering them for me too? lol at least ill know for sure they will work..blue batch would be nice..thanks in advance..lol

Anybody ever run into this problem?

When i put in my LED panel lights for the domes, everything is fine. Then when i went to put in my map light LED. Everything went black. Even my radio, my radio went out and defaulted all my settings. Now none of my interior lights work. I looked under the hood to check the fuses, all of them fine. Now im puzzled

What happened?

try banging on the dome switch...

Why would banging on it work?

This exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago and the problem was a blown fuse (either #26 or 27 on mine). Did you try actually changing the fuse?

No didnt try to change it. Why would it do that? If i change the fuse, wouldnt it just pop again? I looked at both those fuses too. After u changed the fuse. Did it work ok? An why would my deck go out and reset everything? Sucks bc now i gotta redo all my mids n bass and treb. Idnt remeber how it was. And now my subs arent hitting like they use to

It worked just fine after I changed the fuse. I was working on the dome light in the rear and I touched the metal bracket that holds the light in place in a weird way that blew the fuse. If your problem is indeed the fuse, then make sure the map light you were putting in is installed properly before reconnecting the fuse.