Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1997 I6 C280 sport how to get rid of drone?

1997 I6 C280 sport how to get rid of drone?

I just installed a magnaflow 14830 on my I6 c280 and it has such a dip sound at low rpm that i hate it. To me the sound is unbearable when you take off from a complete stop like a red light or a stop sign. I just can't stand the dip sound at low rpm from (500 to 2500). after 2500 rpm it sounds very nice is there a way to reduce the dip sound man is driving me crazy. I love my car but this sound is making me hate driving her. Please I need you guys help man, I have only had the muffler for 3 days and if it is going to be like this I will take it down and put the stock muffler back in. Please any idea y is it like this, I will take it to see the installation was done bad or if there is a leak. please help I love the way it looks but i just hate the way it sounds under 2500 rpm

Sound clips?
    "anyone can drive a new car, it takes a true enthusiast to breath life into an older one"

magnaflow is loud, I suggest you buy a remus or supersprint exhaust less drone

I previously ran a straight chambered muffler ( like Magnaflows ) and couldn't deal with the drone neither. Solution: C36 muffler.

You can always run a resonator delete with a stock muffler, but try to swap for a quality muffler like Remus or Supersprint as michael pointed out.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

It took me about a week or so for the drone to go away. It has to 'break in' if thats even the word I'm looking for. I remember that super deep drone, pissed me off too haha
    My W202 2000 C230 Kompressor
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

Yujin I know what you are talking about I just hate that deep drone, I just want to yank the muffler right out man. I hope the muffler gets quieter, and I hope i don't used to it and just think is quieter. I'm to get rid of that shit if is going to be like this. at certain times is so deep it makes my driver B pillar vibrate a little. I will make a video tomorrow and post it

Sounds crazy. I got a cheapo mufflee off ebay. Looks just like a magnaflow. Its not bad at all. I like it a lot. And at idle. Its quiet as hell for an aftermarket exhaust. When i was searching for one, i didnt really want the performance or the sound. Just wanted a nice looking muffler so the rear end of the car would look a lot nicer. Guess i just got lucky. I still wish it was a little quieter tho
    "anyone can drive a new car, it takes a true enthusiast to breath life into an older one"

Chim would it be possible to get that # for the muffler and or the dealer you got it from?

I feel you, I couldnt even enjoy my music for a while. But man, on startup, nothing makes me more joyous than the deep "BBBRRRUUUUMMM". It does take a little while to break in, cause I suppose(?) the inside wrapping is adjusting to the wavelengths of the exhaust? Lol idk. I guess the longer and farther you drive it, the faster it'll go away?
    My W202 2000 C230 Kompressor
    Like us on Facebook!
    MODS: Magnaflow 14833 | OEM Sport White Gauges | OEM Faux Carbon Fiber Trim | OEM Sport Steering Wheel | CLK320 Airbox | LED Interior Lighting | 6K HID Headlights | L-Shaped Daytime Running Lights | 22' Kicker Subwoofer | 3M Carbon Fiber Di-Noc Door Pillars | Amber Corners | K&N Airbox Filter |

Ill try and do some research. Its been so long, the ebay posting has been long gone. I know where there shop is tho bc it was local and they let me pick it up so i didnt have to pay shipping at all

Lets get some sound clips man, ill try and get some sound clips of mine for you so you can hear it

Ok here it is man I don't know why I sounds quieter when the car is in park. Ok I was readying some more about getting rid of drone, and I read that the closer the muffler to the body of the car more drone is going to be, is this true. my muffler is very close to the body of the car. Hey is there a way just to post the videos just here and not on youtube. here is one video on the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl3m3z3-rQU&feature=plcp

it is a little deep, but at least its not raspy

i tried to look for the muffler i got but cant find it on ebay

i'll try and get a clip of my exhaust and see how u like it

Yea it is deep, I can feel it on my feet, I don't think is going to change I feel like there is an exhaust leek or something. I was looking at the muffler and it is very close to the body of the car almost touching it, does this have to do with anything. shit in my car starts to vibrate man. if is like this is coming off next week and selling it. Looking for a c36 amg muffler

Quote Originally Posted by thegame View Post
    Yea it is deep, I can feel it on my feet, I don't think is going to change I feel like there is an exhaust leek or something. I was looking at the muffler and it is very close to the body of the car almost touching it, does this have to do with anything. shit in my car starts to vibrate man. if is like this is coming off next week and selling it. Looking for a c36 amg muffler
    this is just what happans when you get a straight chambered muffler, the c280 engine is pretty much a beast stock muffler reduces alot of sound. the m104 I I guarantee zero drone on a c36 exhaust. got a c36 myself it's quit while cruising but when you step on it it's loud for my taste I would like to hear my engine just a bit more getting oftopic. this is what I suggest install a c36 exhaust there's a small risk it isn't sporty enough for you(hard to tell) if so install a cold air intake this wil make a difference at WOT. the m104 is about as load as the c63 with the right exhaust.

I remember when i had just my short ram intake. Roared like a beast

yea I'm going to take it off tomorrow is getting on my nerves. Michael6129 if you don't mind me asking how much did your c36 exhaust cost, did you just replace the muffler or everything? also do any of you know someone that can sell me an C36 exhaust? I have been looking on other forms if people are selling c36 exhausts but no luck

yea I'm going to take it off tomorrow is getting on my nerves. Michael6129 if you don't mind me asking how much did your c36 exhaust cost, did you just replace the muffler or everything? also do any of you know someone that can sell me an C36 exhaust? I have been looking on other forms if people are selling c36 exhausts but no luck
    try ebay, my car is a c36 so it's stock sorry for the confusion should pay about 400/600 dollar for the muffler I know expensive

I put a C36 exhaust on a 94 C280 and it fit perfectly and even fits in the bumper cutout. I replaced everything from the catlytic converter back and it was a straight bolt on with no modifications needed. Bolted perfectly right up to the output flange of the catlytic converter. I too have a C36 and on the C280 the note is just a touch quieter. i purchased mine off ebay which including center section was about $500 with shipping.
    1994 C280
    1996 C36
    2005 C55
    2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design
    1999 Porsche 911
    ......dang now I know where all my money went.

This is the reason I took mine off.... It sounded awesome and after 2500 RPM it was nearly audible inside. But from a stop and go, drone was insanely obnoxious... Open the windows, gets even louder lol

BTW, guys the drone is on a I6 C280.... MOst of the drone free Magnaflows are on a C230K
    Last edited by 97C28O; 08-27-2012 at 09:52 PM.
    1997 C280 Sport

take notice, the muffler(36) has a different diameter as the c280's resonator!

what do you mean it has a different diameter? I thought the c36 also had a 2.25 diameter pipe, mbsickness said it fits perfectly. 97c280 I should have listened to you in the first place when you said that your muffler droned also. I should have used that money buying the muffler and getting it installed to tint the window man.

what do you mean it has a different diameter? I thought the c36 also had a 2.25 diameter pipe, mbsickness said it fits perfectly. 97c280 I should have listened to you in the first place when you said that your muffler droned also. I should have used that money buying the muffler and getting it installed to tint the window man.
    Heh, i thought I've mentioned this in a couple threads before... unfortunately C36 mufflers are hard to get by..
    1997 C280 Sport

So i was talking to a friend who got some exhaust work done on his set up. He too had drone and found some ways of eliminating them. The research looks promising... I remember there are OEM exhausts out there that has a "T-Pipe" to reduce the drones. I think one of them was S2000's...

Anyways, heres a link :http://www.silveradosierra.com/exhau...it-t12607.html
    Maybe you can try that and see if that works if you still have your magnaflow on there!
    1997 C280 Sport

I did search around and I saw those threads that talked about that set up, but they were saying that it only got rid of some of the drone. Anyway I took the magnaflow off this morning and put the OEM, oh I love it, is so nice inside now man. I love driving the car again. I had to pay $120 to take it off at a meineke. So the muffler was $200+$20 shipping =$220. $90 installation from some shop which was 45 min from my house and $120 for taking it off is $420 total went to waste man. it fucking sucks. now I'm trying to sell the magnaflow for $150 at craigs list. Also I'm in the market for an AMG muffler so please if anyone has one for sale don't hesitate.
    Last edited by thegame; 09-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.

sounds it like can work.

BTW, that sounds awefully expensive to install. Shops here charge anywhere from 20-40..
    1997 C280 Sport