Thread: question on when the cams start advancing illy

question on when the cams start advancing illy

So I have done a very open flo exhaust and a decent intake with colder plugs I have the manifold hulked slightly and I'm starting to feel as if the computer is messing with the cam settings when your outside the "comfy" zone on the ecu is it time I got a tune ? 230komp 2000

Here's the operating spec of the cam adjustment.

Engine speed Position of camshaft Camshaft solenoid Effect on combustion:

< 2000 rpm - "retarded" - deenergized - Reducing residual gas quantities as a result of smaller valve overlap
    > 2000 rpm and < 4000 rpm - "advanced" actuated - Reducing fresh gas losses
    > 4000 rpm "retarded" - deenergized - Improving cylinder charge by means of boost effect

So from my understanding it's just acting like an on/off switch, so it would seem there's nothing to 'tune'?
    JJJ.

im thinking im out of the threshold for it to run at the right degree
    too early of a exauhst valve opening and your loosing power and too late of the valve opening and your loosing the right amount of air being let in
    that's why im thinking I need a tune on the ecu so its safe zones are changed to what the cars running atm
    or I just need a new timing belt or chain w.e it has lol

Quote Originally Posted by vaspen View Post
    too early of a exauhst valve opening and your loosing power and too late of the valve opening and your loosing the right amount of air being let in
    Surely, the only parts that will affect valve timing is a change in the cams profile, I presume you haven't changed the cams? Modifying the exhaust manifold/header and inlet manifold (I presume that's what your saying in the first post) should only help breathing and have no bearing on valve timing?

Edit: Any possibility that timing chain has jumped a tooth?
    JJJ.

Hi,
    The RPM switch points can be altered given the tuner knows where the map responsible for this is.

P.S. If anyone knows the address of that map is and is willing to share it will be great.