Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Engine swap C36 into C280

Here's a picture of the C36 engine. Looks quite clean.
    What my mechanic has done is interchange the cam adjuster housing from the '97 C280 to the '94 C36 and vice versa. The pic on the link of post # 100 is exactly the difference. The cam adjuster internal gears are exactly the same for C280 & C36.
    I have not collected the car as yet but my mechanic has call to give me the good news that the car power has improved quite a bit. He is actually quite impressed and he has never has a chance to drive a C36.

The C36 intake cam is indeed a modified higher profile than the C280

The car should be dropped back to my home by tomorrow and I shall report and update on my findings in due course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	2171
    Last edited by Vincent Hor; 06-03-2014 at 08:01 AM.

I have good news to report. The exercise to swap over the intake cam adjuster has been successful. The car now drives like a dream. It idles very stable at around 600-650 rpm. Throttle response is very positive. No more hesitant throttle response. Take off is very smooth and gear changes is smooth yet quick.

The car performance is mild if driven sedately but the best part is it can transform into a beast when we put our right foot down. Such a wonderful feeling to know that the power and torque is readily available whenever we need it.

Lesson learned.

1. We can upgrade an I6 C280 to C36 with an engine & injectors transplant to have performance gains.
    2. Important to understand the difference between the pre and post '97 model cam sensor and to apply the correct cam adjuster rotating disc.

Hope this would help those aspiring to walk the route of a C36 engine transplant.

awesome thread though...
    greetings from KL too!