Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Engine swap C36 into C280

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Hor View Post
    How I wish I am living in the states. Car are very expensive here in Malaysia. There are only less than 5 or 10 C36's here. Hence the choice of conversion.

Another alternative would be to get hold of a set of RHD engine wire harness and then put in the rest of the hardware. I do have the rest of the AMG hardware which is the ECU, 4 speed gear box, prop shaft, rear diff, drive shafts, air cond control panel, throttle body & meter cluster.

Would wire harness from W124 E280 or W140 S280/S320 be same as the C36? Just wanted to broaden my search alternatives.

Back dating the car will be a real mess, stick with the 97 stuff.

For a ECU, a 97 to 99 W140 S320 / 97 SL320 would be much closer than your current C280 ECU.

Remember, you have a 5 speed electronic shift 722.6 trans so to make it work you must stick with a 97 up ECU. On a LHD car, the trans ECU is located under the passenger foot board. Look for a 4" x 6" x 1" black box, the sticker will say EGS ( Electronic Gear Shift. )

The C36 has a higher number rear axle ratio so take that into consideration for acceleration as well.

The C36 does NOT have a higher diff ratio.

Maybe I was thinking of the C230 Kompressor or even mixing the SL320 higher diff.

In any event, is our guy driving the trans in S mode? W starts out in 2nd unless you force a throttle down shift.

Another engine computer choice would be a 97 E320

The heavier / weaker (engine) chassis, the higher the diff ratio.

In the US I found a SL320 diff, 3.69 and stuffed that into my C36.

But the stock C36 w/5-speed auto had a 3.07, and if you have a 97' or newer 202 (automatic) you can't slap a higher ratio diff, you'll flip out the Etc and go into limp mode

There may be a work around for the diff swap.

Near as I can tell, the speedo gets it's signal from a front wheel through the ABS sensor / computer. 97 is CAN bus so a CAN filter just ahead of the EGS box that looks for the front wheel speed then sends a recalculated speed to the EGS should work. Someone in England sells CAN filters for altering Sprinter miles / air bag / emission codes , with some reprogramming it should work.

CAN ( Controller Area Network , invented by Bosch ) is a 2 wire ( 3 including ground ) serial communication protocol where all modules are connected to a common network. Each message is broadcast across the network and all modules listen for the preamble indicating " this message is for you " , the module then uses the data sent to control it's process. Modules that are not programmed to listen for a specific address do nothing.

Best way around (the way I went) was swapped the type 6 out with a manual, coded out the ETC (egs module) off the can network, and use any diff ratio I want. And yea speedo on 97' uses front speed sensors.

I still have this intermittent stalling issue. AFR running lean could be the issue? I am still running on the same single fuel pump from the C280. Would replacing it with a stronger fuel pump work? Which replacement pump would be recommended. Still trying to source for a 4.0 bar FPR.

Not sure if C36 had same injectors and if you swapped them over or not. Look into a c36 flash.

It's running with C36 injectors. Any suggestions on who could do a re-flash?

Dealer has to be able to .. Idk where you are located

Are you able to source a ECU that I mentioned? ( You will also need the DAS box behind the instrument cluster and ignition key as all 3 are tied together. )

By at least 97 a single pump was used, the dual pump was only on older cars.

Don't go to a high pressure regulator, you problem lies elsewhere.

If I'm not mistaken 97' (DAS 2) didn't have a seperate ignition module, it was built in the Bosch ME, and a small ring around the ignition lock authorized K40 power up.

I may be wrong, but all he would need is a 97' c36 Bosch ME, transponder key. May also need a matching ETC module since its most likely coded to the ME (being that its on the CAN network)

Off topic, I may have a US spec 97' C36 parting out.

97 was only year for DAS X , it has a mechanical key with a RFID chip, not the 98 and up EIS Electronic Ignition System ( column lock ) fob system.

The DAS box reads the chip in the key ( RFID ) then sends a authorization message over CAN bus to the ME. If the ME does not see the auth message, it will crank but injectors won't fire ( maybe ignition too as this is controlled by the ME ) CAN speed on these is something like 83 not some standard 25 . 50 , 125. On another board a poster says the DAS message is pretty consistent.

I do know that the DAS and ME are slaved together after 40 starts, Beckman Technologies can unlock the ME for use with another DAS, but you must have a DAS and matching key to use after they unlock. There has to be some way of reprogramming the DAS as the Mercedes HHT / Star can temporary block certain keys or block them permanently. There are something like 16 key " slots " with 8 being active at one time. ( these numbers might not be correct but you get the idea )

And there is, I had previous contact with Beckman on that issue and yes they can unlock a used ME that is married with a different VIN number, they charge $300 and mail it back to you.

You then have to install it and code it with a new current vin.

We've installed used 'locked' ME's before.

Atop of that, Beckman was able to provide variant coding for C36 and omit CAN communication with ETC. (coded my type 6 out and away)

I'm starting to wonder if they can provide coding for newer MB AMG's that never had manual transmission as well and start swapping 6-speeds into 211' e55 ect.

And I am almost certain DAS 2 was built in with the ME. I don't remember a seperate DAS box that interlinked from key to ME. I may be all wrong though.

Thanks RemoLexi, FPR was the culprit! Had it replaced and the car runs fine now. Now looking for a W140 S320 wireless throttle body. The C36 throttle body is bigger than the one on C280. Would this TB make a difference on the performance?

Quote Originally Posted by RemoLexi View Post
    As a cheap cheat- I am sure Bosch offers a 4bar fuel pressure regulator ... You may need one and also try cleaning the throttle body (flap contact points) which should cure your stalling problem, also test for vacuum leaks.

100deg. Temps seem normal from all the 202's I've had.

Glad to hear! FPR diaphragm inside go bad really often.

As far as the throttle goes, you have a cable driven throttle correct?

The cable driven throttle is from the donor car C36 which has the same part number as in a W140 S320. Installed with the engine transplant is the one from the C280 which is drive by wire.

Glad to hear! FPR diaphragm inside go bad really often.

As far as the throttle goes, you have a cable driven throttle correct?

A smaller TB would only limit high RPM performance.

The M104 3.2 L DBW throttle body was used ( in the USA at least ) on 97 E320 / 97 SL320 / 97 - 99 S320 . I "think " the 97 C280 2.8 used the same throttle body.

I did some research on TB a while back and am pretty sure the M119 5.0 V8 has the same bolt pattern but a larger blade diameter. Comparing base gasket part numbers wold be a good test if you lack parts.

+1^^ I've always wondered if a 119 tb would work!

I just check the rear diff from the donor car. It's stamped 2.87
    In a couple of days I will hoist up my car and see what's the diff ratio I am currently running.

The heavier / weaker (engine) chassis, the higher the diff ratio.

In the US I found a SL320 diff, 3.69 and stuffed that into my C36.

But the stock C36 w/5-speed auto had a 3.07, and if you have a 97' or newer 202 (automatic) you can't slap a higher ratio diff, you'll flip out the Etc and go into limp mode

Thanks for info.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
    A smaller TB would only limit high RPM performance.

The M104 3.2 L DBW throttle body was used ( in the USA at least ) on 97 E320 / 97 SL320 / 97 - 99 S320 . I "think " the 97 C280 2.8 used the same throttle body.

I did some research on TB a while back and am pretty sure the M119 5.0 V8 has the same bolt pattern but a larger blade diameter. Comparing base gasket part numbers wold be a good test if you lack parts.

My apologies for being absent for awhile. Well I am still having this intermittent stalling issue during idle. It's quite unpredictable and only happens after a warm engine restart while the car is in gear and brakes applied.

Recently I had the car diagnosed and return a fault code "Cam sensor error" had the sensor replaced and still the same code came up. The sensor that I am using now is the 3 wire Hall effect sensors.

Now the mechanic says that problem could be the different type of sensor being used since the donor C36 engine was running with the 2 wire Analog type of sensor while the 97 ECU supports the 3 wire digital Hall Effect sensor.

The mechanic is suggesting that we need the intake cam shaft toothed disc from the 97 motor and swap it with this 94 C36 motor so that the cam sensor will work correctly.

Is this true? Please share with me your thoughts.

I have also read, that AMG did some modifications on the (cam shaft sprocket) rotating toothed disc by drilling a new dowel location to advance the timing. Therefore if the solution is to make use of the 97 C280 sprocket, does it mean that I will need to drill a new dowel location, replicating the same one from the C36 to cater for the advance timing?

What about the VVT cam adjuster? Would it be necessary to swap that as well?

Sorry for the long post.

Expert advise on this is most appreciated.
    Last edited by Vincent Hor; 05-21-2014 at 06:36 AM.

I am not sure if there were changes made to the cams ...

I think what my mechanic said make sense. See below link

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ntake-cam.html