Thread: best beginner/novice track coilovers for 202?

best beginner/novice track coilovers for 202?

I'm considering an option in regards to some money I'll be receiving in the next few days to go for coilovers. However honestly I'm just looking for something under 1-1100k, is readily in stock so I can get them shipped quickly and aren't difficult to use or understand. My eventual goal is to have coilovers for track purposes, but for now I just want them for enthusiast-based spirited driving. I have plans to have whatever I purchase professionally installed, but I'd like the end user interface to be simple, not complicated and straight-forward.

Can anyone suggest such a coilover for me?
    96 Black C280 (Black Vixen) - Sold/Retired 10/13

I no longer own a w202 and I kick myself in the head every day for it...

these cars dont have coil overs

and your 215 width tyres aren't going to offer you much in the way of grip even for spirited driving.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for taking these cars to the limit.

Look on Tirerack.com, i'd get the bilsteins and what ever springs they offer, prob H&R. and if you can afford, i'd highly recommend the sway bars they have there too

Quote Originally Posted by Dearlove View Post
    and your 215 width tyres aren't going to offer you much in the way of grip even for spirited driving.

Dont get me wrong, I'm all for taking these cars to the limit.

Look on Tirerack.com, i'd get the bilsteins and what ever springs they offer, prob H&R. and if you can afford, i'd highly recommend the sway bars they have there too
    I'm not debating with you, but if there are no coilovers offered for our cars, what are these?

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/94-...FSXZQgodm3EA-A

http://www.octanemotorsports.com/93-...FciDQgodhnUA5g

?
    96 Black C280 (Black Vixen) - Sold/Retired 10/13

I no longer own a w202 and I kick myself in the head every day for it...

I think vetruck posted a thread on the ceika suspension he found. Decently priced. The w202 has a different suspension than most modern cars ie(seperate shocks and springs front and rear) that's why dearlove is saying what I believe is "they don't make true coilovers) for the w202 but I could be mistaken. I have seen plenty of advertising for w202 versions but never heard of them installed or seen actually pics not stock photos ect.
    2014 Black Sapphire BMW 328d xDrive
    1997 Brilliant Silver C36 AMG 183k miles (SOLD)
    1994 Spruce Green C280 176k miles (SOLD)
    Drexel Business '11

coilovers are available for the w202.... but for the price of it id go with springs/shocks at a fraction of the price or go air suspension

Just do shocks and springs separate. If you want your 202 to take corners like a champ, throw in a chamber and castor kit and somebody that can do a good alignment.
    ====================
    VISIT THE W201nW202 YOUTUBE PAGE:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/W201n202

1999 Mercedes C230 Kompressor / Rust Bucket, No MODS
    2001 Mercedes E430 Sport
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid
    ====================

I am doing coilovers, but I am doing very high end units that are montube shocks and are also mounted inverted for less unsprung weight.

The rear units on W202 coilover kits technically are not coilovers, just the fronts are. The rears are technically called weightjackekers even thought they are calling them coilovers. a weight jacker still makes a car fully adjustable in height by using an adjustable spring perch under the rear spring. It utilizes a shorter spring whuch is not always good unless you understand suspension dynamic and purchase the correct type separately. I plan to use barrel shaped springs which allow for more coil wire length even thought he spring is shorter- the barrel design allows for the longer wire to maintain a better frequency and more consistent rate for a nice ride. I will try the springs that come with the kit first, but if not then I know how alter things witht he proper marraige of parts. I have not tried this yet so I can not give any info on a final outcome. Trust me though, the coilovers are going to be the first purchase I do when I have my hiome improvement project finished in the next month or two.

ps- I have never been a fan of Bilsteins. You get what you pay for pretty much in shock dampering quality- Go Koni Yellows. They have rebound adjustment also. Far better damper than Bilstein when it comes to over the counter comparisons.
    Dean

Also a little side note since were are on the subject of performance car handling- Here is a groupon ad if any of you local So Cal guys are interested in an exotic car ridealong. You can also drive the car for a much higher price, but if yo have ever been interested in riding in a Lambo Gallardo or any one of 4 Ferraris including a F430 Scuderia or a 599 Fiorano, you can buy this groupon deal and contact me so I will arrange to be your driver and vlast you around an autoX course at full speed in any of them. Just by this deal and contact me and give me heads up you are coming. I will also be your instructor if you decide to pay to drive rhte car and will arrange for whichever car you desire to drive or ride along in.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/imagine...88381481237582

i simply just like blistens. . . . and would definitely get the bilsteins and what ever rises/suspension shokcs they provide, prob H&R. and if you can manage, i'd suggest the move cafes they have there too. . . . . .

car rent surfers paradise
    Last edited by Shoshay; 02-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.

I've contacted just about every place that makes suspension for the w202 and NONE make a coil over for the w202, neither front nor rear. They're just advertised as coil overs because that's what every one know them as.

But please, if you find a shop that does an off the shelf coil over (you'll never get one for the rear, there literally isn't enough room in the shock tower) let me know!

Not saying it cant be done, i looked into it. From memory for them to fit i think you'll need to cut the top spring perch off as it's so close to the shock. Again, not saying it cant be done (same as the rear, but that'll mean reshaping the shock tower) maybe Vetrucks our man for the job?

Bilstein makes original equipment for AMG and the higher end Mercedes sport models I believe. They are tried and true.
    1999 C230K Sport
    Upsolute Chip
    BMC Airfilter

getting coil over made for the front, will keep you posted!

Go with H&R cup kit, I've had bilstien but the H&R cup kit has progressive rate springs, so ride quality is not too stiff but dipping into turns the car stays flat.

Weigh reduction is your best friend if your are after handling! Makes a world of differance

Got the sport cup kit. Also splurged and got an eibach rear sway bar because it was in budget compared to the h&r one. Will update when they show up. Also I am at the mall and on my phone but thanks to whoever had the thread on using the 97 spring pads and cups....took all that information and ordered everything that was called at my local mb dealer this morning. Grand total just for that stuff rang me almost 200, and half of it is coming out of Germany so they said 12 business days for all that stuff to show up at my door.

The only thing that is in the air is install. For once as a car enthusiast I want to fo this project with guided assistance and NOT outsource it. However, where I live I've been fined by the homeowner's association for being caught working on my cat in our rented townhousr and honestly while I love my car and I love this hobby, I have no other local car buddies or friends to help me. Aside from talking to you guys on the forums....my enjoyment with cars is pretty remote and solitary which kinda sucks.
    Last edited by vixen_w202; 02-06-2013 at 10:47 AM.

I beleive XYZ makes about the cheapest coilover kit for our cars.. but I have no idea how they drive
    I'd personally go with H&R kit until I can afford something like KW