Thread: Which shock?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Vetruck, thank you again for your time, info & advise. Really appreciated. I'm now going with the Koni & Eibach's.

Rock on!
    JJJ.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jones Jr. View Post
    Vetruck, thank you again for your time, info & advise. Really appreciated. I'm now going with the Koni & Eibach's.

Rock on!
    First off to everyone- You are welcome. I love to teach suspesion dynamics. It's what I do on several internet forums and have lots of local people I mentor in this stuff. matter of fact, last night an old friend called me telling me the local racetrack opened back up (Toyota Speedway) after a few years closure and was asking if I am on a team up there- he just offered me a position running a new team. The owner of this team is the primary owner of HPTuners.com- I will meet with them in 2 weeks and we will see where that goes- just another life's adventure.

JJJ- Looking at the specs of your car, and putting your choice of componants (the Eibach ProKit # 2545-140 which is made for your car, combined with Koni Yellows) I would put your choice on my scale of 1-10 ( 1 being my wornout stock suspension c220, 3 being your car brand new suspension (I know what your car is like new- however I do not know its current statis), 7 being a C6 vette, 10 being a full blown racecar suspension set for track use, lets say a lightened Katech vette with cage on Motion Coilovers), I would rate your car with this setup at about a 5-6 based on what you set the rebound damper at. It will be a bit more agressive than a new 63amg in ride quality in sport mode. I would put the AMG63 a soild 5 in comfort/handling when it is in sport mode.

Note that this is the best way I can give you a "what to expect" comparison on road feel. Most people that own an AMG63 run around town with active handling engaged and drive the car in a mode that is more like a 4 so I would rate the car a 4-5 on the scale because the mode can change its ride feel. The Koni's are an agressive valved shock, and the Eibachs are a higher spring rate than what you have stock. You also most likely have a little larger than normal factory swaybars being the Sport model, so worst comes to worse you might have to find a smaller front bar if the front rate is a little too high for your confrot level- but what I am suggesting is merely a guess. Putting springs on a car is always a crap shoot with anything- especially when manufacturers do not list their spring rates. Alot of what I know about the Eibach Prokits comes from what has been learned in other vehicle applications of them- SO my answers here are a speculation of those other vehicle experiences.

I just like the linear front springs and progressive rear spring setups of the Prokit. The rear progressive rate keeps a little forgiveness in the rear from bucking you in the seat going over bumps in the road- it also yeilds a lower "release rate when you brake hard and unload the rear chassis weight towards the front of the car. If the rear springs upon release (or lift) are progressively less rate than what a linear sprng is, it will not throw weight forward as much which helps keep the rear of the car planted and not raked forward. Porgressive rear will help more promote the rear to stay a tad more squated and the chassis stay more level. This is my theorey I have accomplished on may vehicles I have setup this way and it has always worked for me.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 04-23-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: spelling- as usual my tyoing skills suck

Quote Originally Posted by Vetruck View Post

I would rate your car with this setup at about a 5-6 based on what you set the rebound damper at.
    I was wondering this exact point. Should I start off with a half to full turn when adjusting the rebound initially as per Koni's advise? Knowing me I be adjusting them all the time and still unsure what the best position is. Of course what won't help me is the great variations in the different roads I use regularly - from smooth, straight & wide to narrow, bumpy & twisty.

I know Vetruck I'm asking a lot & don't expect you to have all the answers, an opinion would do just fine

Cheers again.
    JJJ.