Quote Originally Posted by John Jones Jr. View Post
Vetruck, another very interesting post, thank you.

So, if you were in my position '98 C230 Kompressor Sport manual, that's on it's original shocks, springs and wheels ( I won't be changing the wheels and if I do I'll be still using 16'' put by 8'', so no great increase in weight). The car is 'light' i.e. no s/roof, no climate control, no electric seats etc and weighs about 1300Kg dry according to Mercedes-Benz. So, I'm going on your advise and fitting Koni Sport (yellow) Adjustables but what springs? I ask as I'm a bit confused after reading both of your posts - sorry. The car won't be tracked, only road use, with a max two people and some luggage the odd time.

Thanks in advance.
I really do not like recommending spring rates to others since its a personal choice. I drive cars that are considered very sprorty feeling compared to most peoples taste. I also drive cars very hard and commonly very fast around corners- If it is any concellation as to my driving style (it is no means a boast, t is simply a truthful answer as to my personal needs or desires) I am rarely ever passed on the hwy- I am genearlly the guy moving faster than others- however, I try and always drive where I never have to touch my brake pedal running up onto slower traffic. I typically will pass people going onto freeway onramps around curves, etc. So yes I seek a very peformance oriented vehicle. My 94 C220- that I hardly drive- the fianceee does mainly, I would give a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being a worn out street suspension, lofty- and 10 being a full track racecar , not to see any street use) a 1. I am seeking aprox a 7-8 with this car. I would consider C6 Corvette suspension and ride quality a 7-8 on that scale in terms of comfort/handling.

Witht he above said, My 94 c220 has a very light nose on it. The 94-95 c220 take an even lighter weight front spring than the 96-97 C220 does, then the C280 from 94-97 takes an even slightly heavier spring then both of those. (ie 94 C220 is rated at 970kg, 96 c220 rated at 990kg, and the C280 engine cars front axlei s rated at 1010kg.

I have decided on putting Koni Yellows and the Eibach C280 kit onto my 94 c220- I will also only upgrade the rear swaybar to a larger one while keeping the front one stock in size to balance the lateral handling and get the car to rotate better into corners. After I insstall this kit, I will probably have to go with the shortest front spring pad to compensate for the higher ride height since this spring is designed for a heavier car. Then I will match the rear accordingly to get the same fender gaps front and rear.

I was looking to do weight jacks on the car, but seriously I do not care to do all the work to it since it will not be my main driver. It is more for the little lady to commute in daliy I do not have another vehicle for here to drive for a week or two while I have this car down doing a silly project like weight jackers on it so I have decided against it and just go a simple conventional over-the-counter route. She knows how my other vehicles all ride so she knows what ot explect when I am done with it. She is a very aggressive driver as well so I want her safe at speed with a more sport type suspension. If you drive it soft, you need a soft suspension, if you drive it hard, then follow suit.

I looked up your car and I only see a listings of 1999 and up for the 230 Kompressor cars- no 98??? I also see where the supercharger setup does add weight so they suggest the car's weight be fitted with that equal to the I6 engine C280 cars and C36. That would put your normal kit as the same I seek for more sport setup. If you were running 18" wheels with low profile tires then I would more suggest you run the lower compression dampered Bilsteins, But with the 16" wheels with a little more sidewall (more forgiving on bumps) I would suggest the Koni Yellows and the 2545-140 Eibach spring kit I am looking at for mine also. My car is suppose to have the Eibach 2532-140 kit, and the 96 c220 runs the 2544-140 kit.