Thread: Which shock?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forget Koni's advice on that. Start off with the rebound on full soft setting. it is probably what you will use 99% 0f the time unless you go out for a little spirited canyon drive. The beauty of konis also is even if you do not use the higher settings, as they age you can dial a lttle more damper back into them by upping the adjustment knob.

I have had many sets of Konis on various cars. One in particular was my old IROC type Camaro. it was the ex wifes daily driver and she would run around town everyday with it 3/4 turn up from soft 2 5/8 turns total adjustment). I would go somewhere I would just pop the hood and quickly up them to 2 full turns. I took that car to track events on rare occations and would run them on full firm for autox and time attack type events to reduce body roll most effectively, and long tracks I would leave the fronts on 2 turns and up the backs to #2 of the four 0-3 click settings. Autox I would run #2 rear also, the ex I would leave it on #1 (#0 being the softest).

it is all based on the individual car. But definately just start with them completely dialed down. Go drive it that way for at least 100 miles and get used to the feel before you mess with it any seeing how they react compared to stock. then for the fun of it go dial them up half way and drive it for about 10-20 miles- you may leave it, you may try full next, or you may get 1 mile and stop- pop the hood, and dial them back down to the lowest setting and say thats good enough for me. The shocks on full soft are definately going to feel a heck of alot more in touch with the road then the crap you have on their now- that's why I say you should just start with them full soft so you see you have alotsportier and in touch with the road feel than the crap stock units. Adding more rebound is mainly about cornering and braking needs. getting chassis movement more than you like? then up them a 1/4 or a half turn and go try it again. Too much rebound will start to make the tire contact patches skip on uneven surfaces under hard braking- that is thre real test. Alot of rebound will make the car chassis follow the road. the car will not loft over freeway bumps it will stay contured to the road at speed. The more the rebound, the more this feeling.

For the most part there is no right or wrong setting, there is personal choice of comfort vs handling. Wrong is anything high enough to make the tires slide under hard braking over bumps- if you try this you will definately know what I am talking about, you will feel it. It will probably only do this under extreme braking conditions on the highest setting range. I promise you that you will try the highet setting, but after that curiosity you will never drive the car around town on surface streets on the highest rebound setting ever= unless the shocks are 20 years old. 98% of the milage the average person puts onto a Koni Yellow on a street car will be between 1-5 settings on a total of 1-10 possible settings (10 being full firm if you could out a label on the dial range- rear shocks on my Camaro are a 4 position click settings, fronts where struts and had a dial range without individual clicks, you just counted the turns and put the other side equal in turns from low to high.)

A picture of my Koni's on my old Camaro-
    Last edited by Vetruck; 04-23-2013 at 11:41 AM.