Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which shock?

Quote Originally Posted by Denlasoul View Post
    Great to have you here. Wish I could reciprocate!
    You guys do. I have actually been sick this week so I have computer-itice LOL

Some of stuff I type I have been told in past on other forums I come off rude or arrogant. Please understand I love teaching this stuff- but I have terrible typing skills and just give alot of robotic sounding answers as I two finger peck at the keys. I like to stick to facts or first hand experience.

I know so many people tha tfisrt come to know me on the compter and have told me they though I was an ass, then to later get to know me in person and say I am nothing like how I type. I've gotten better over the years, but I still need to build on expressing myself in text- hence why I am typing this message.

My goal when I post? Is to try and help others arm themselvves with information as to better and more wisely spend our hard earned money. I need to learn this car, it's why I am here. I have vast knowledge of chassis dynamics, I just need to learn the hands on settings and perameters of the w202 platform and it's individual strengths and weaknesses. That is where a forum like this and all of your combined experiences with repairs and modifications help me get there quicker without as mnuch trial and error in spending money and finding out later the hard way. Its like how i have been researching the camber fixes with these cars and how much is needed or not based on how low the car goes. I have not seen any speadsheet documenting bumpsteer, camber curves, etc on both front and rear suspensions. I see lots of data on wheel offsets and rear camber arms, but also rear about tire rubs, bad wear, etc. I like to do things right. When I do not know something, I try and studfy it for awhile until I decide just what I am going to do to something- once I do I bit the bullet and get it all done fairly quickly.

With all thatsaid, these cars look very simple. I think people just go too low with them getting this "stance thing". It appears looking at the geometry of the rear 5 link that the 2 front parallel bars have adequate geometry to lower the car an inch easy and still retain good travel and articulation without pulling the rear assembly forward shortening and lengthening the wheelbase as it articulates. Nor does an extended camber link casue the travel to go into camber curve neutality or even camber loss- so that so far looks good from what I see. The geometry of the rear toe bars will depend on high speed aero squat of the chassis, as well as overall travel. If the car does suffer from aero squat (hard to get a tape measure reading of the fender lip to the ground distance at 80mph -LOL- so its all about feel) then the low speed stuff can be dialed to a rear toe staic setting of 0*. Body roll alone in a corner will promote an outer wheel toe gain and thus help induce roll understeer keeping the car stable and tight into and through a corner, and high speed squat hopefully will only slightly induce the needed toe-in settings for high speed stability. Its got to be set at optimum arm level geometry- so what ride height is that? if will be dependant of gauging suspension travel via zipties cinched around the Koni yellow shock shafts as indicators when I install them hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday (If they get here- I am waiting for the UPS guy as we speak). Ill start taking fender lip readings, arm angles, and overall travel readings in strightline travel as well as hard cornering roll. Its done by gounding the ziptie to the shock body and then drive itno what situation you want to study. If you want high speed stright stuff then gently drive it over and merge onto the freeway easy and run it up to speed without straining the car into any corner. Gently bring it back intot he garage bay and reach uner and measure the distance of the normal suspension travel over higher speed freeway bumps combined with aero squat. Tells you how much the suspension is traveling. Then reset the incicators and run it around a skidpad (large parking lot will do). Check the indicators both left and right circles indicidually- record the travel. Then lastly you can set them and dive hard on the brakes stright line from about 30-40 mph and see how much the front dives from brake squat.

Compare all of that data and it will tell me what the spring rates are doing balance wise betweeen coils and swaybar needs. I can tune a little with the Koni rebound settings, but that is mainly for ride quality since the main focus is for the little lady to be comfortable as well as have safe handling in case of emergency when she commutes in this car.

I will most likely build this car pretty radiical in handling, but it will all come with necessity of wanting to lower it a little for looks as well as safety (ie- the typical lowered cg or center of gravity). I do it for a better and safer ride, not for look and a crappy ride. it's why it all takes time to learn these cars so it's done right the first time- cuz god know I'll here about it if the car rides like crap when I lower it. I need to make sure I am getting enough data to do it right as well as have the money on hand for any unaticipated quick purchases to correct unforseen geometry problems- It unfortunately cost money to do things the right way...and thats why I try and be detailed and help.

Vetruck, that's a bloody good post. It says a lot & all positives too.

Since, you've mentioned Koni yellows as I have fitted last week, what would you say, after doing 500 miles on very mixed roads I think the suspension overall has improved especially from a comfort aspect? Any sense in what I'm implying? I for sure don't think the suspension is as harsh as it was on the first 100 miles...
    JJJ.

Alot of it is you getting used to not having to move the wheel about as much when you did the change. You were focusing at first on the firmer ride, but now you realize the comfort level of not having to be as 'on top of" the stering imputs as much because the car is alot more controlble in the event of a rapid emergency steering imput. You can relax more now when driving so that relieves the death grip tension associated with a poor handling vehicle.

Seriously, if you could take your heart rate before and after on the same section of road you will find you are much more relaxed behind the wheel with the Koni's becasue you now have confidence in the car under you.

Yep, that's makes sense.
    JJJ.

someone at mbworld bought KONI FSD shox, they came without shock dust covers?
    who does sell these new if Koni doesn't supply them?
    seems like the old dust covers are not removable from old shox?

if not using dust covers, sand and other crap will grind and destroy suspension rods.

http://mbworld.org/forums/w210-amg/5...lp-please.html

In Charge
    Quote Originally Posted by kowalski View Post
    someone at mbworld bought KONI FSD shox, they came without shock dust covers?
    who does sell these new if Koni doesn't supply them?
    seems like the old dust covers are not removable from old shox?
    You take off the stock ones.

He doesn't need them. he lives in sunny Southern California where there is no road salt on snowy roads. Its the seals they try and protect on foul weather cars-and the adjustable detent button on the Yellows that face upwrad and can collect debris, thus corrode. A good weather climate car never has to worry about this. A little rain and a little dirt over 20 years is nothing compared to road salt.

i live in scandinavia where lots of salt is being dumped on the streets every winter.
    i need dust covers for protection as my shox will corrode.
    i don't drive my car in winter, but it's better to be 100% covered

I put on KYB Shocks - Gas-a-Just's and they do a good job. I also got a front sway bar from a C280 Sport. It is a solid bar instead of the hollow original bar, and give more stability. Not easy to find these as this sway bar as there are not that many W202 Sports out there that are being parted-out.