Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: (not another!?) c230k turbo conversion

nice work krum! dang, a lil off eh? looks like the same shape/size ports though

what if you use our stock manifold? Flip it around weld the turbo flange where it normally meets the flexpipe, then flip the header flange around to match the bolt pattern? Provided its strong enough steel.. I dunno maybe I'm just being silly

I've fought of that but there are 2x2 runners.....it'll be simpler/faster to do it from scratch....I think.
    A simple 4in1 design with unequal runners will be just fine...

...and let's not forget - http://www.ebay.com/itm/400241312014...84.m1423.l2649

Of course, that'd be too easy! haha disco potato! Those eBay turbos make me nervous, I have read good things about godspeed tho and corky bell of maximum boost fame did a write up about how he tested a whole bunch of china-chargers and found them to be of equal quality of brand name Garrett's etc. the most common reason for the china chargers failure is lack of oil restrictions so the fails were on the user/installer end not the turbo itself.

One thing that caught me out on the turbo project was the large valve overlap, it may not seem like an issue now but I think it play's a more significant part the more you up boost pressure with turbo setup's , as boost increases so does exhaust pressure, combine this with large increases in combustion pressure and the stock internal emmission system(large overlap that spits combustion back up the intake) could cause all sorts of issues with tuning/fueling. to make the M111 run really well with a high pressure ratio I think custom cam gears to allow less overlap are the way forward(delete the cam advance and use an exhaust sprocket maybe) if that's not enough cams as well.

food for thought.
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Pagz droppin some science on our heads! Thanks for blessin this thread with your presence lol
    Your build is what inspired me to give it a go! I remember reading that you milled an old m104(?) cam gear to get around this problem somewhat.
    Im hoping it wont be as much of an issue on mine as i dont plan on running as much boost as you did (see how long that lasts...)
    but that is something i will definitely keep in my back pocket as the need arises.

Pagz, nice to hear from you!
    I have a question.
    What pressure did you run?

old video shows 1.2 bar

Hey Guys,
    Np I'm always keen to see FI work in the pipeline,it's a very rewarding mod if you get it right!.

The old cam gear we slotted was not initially intended to correct overlap,however the 10hp increase from retarding some 5 degree's showed stock cam timing was far from ideal,retarding it would have reduced the overlap slightly but at the cost of opening the exhaust later,that's where you would want to experiment with both intake and exhaust timing and then cam duration etc. If I was to do it all again I would start the journey with cam design.

Boost pressure with the GT2860rs was around 16psi towards the end of the project(it will always creep up no matter how hard you try haha),in the beginning I found the T25 .63 and .82 turbine housings to be too small as boost control and surge became a problem. later I ran T3 .82 which corrected surge issues and boost was much more controllable. I'd put money on if the cam setup was better you would be able to run a smaller turbine housing with more response without surge issues, top end may be slightly effected but low to mid range power ftw.

Ironically A friend sent me this yesturday http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/10/...mercedes-benz/ Its fairly clear why these guys ran the turbo volvo engine over the MB engine!.

Edit - This is pretty cool too http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/07/...-mercedes-190/
    Last edited by Pagz; 11-01-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    >>00 C43 Black w/birch Black. Immaculate
    >>99 C43 Silver w/CLK55 package
    >>99 S202 RED 250TD Daily.
    >>89 2.6 RED w/16vkit. POS
    >>Old Turbo 2.3 History >>Old Turbo 2.3 Video

Cheers Pagz, it good reading those.
    JJJ.

Tanks Pagz!

Cool thanks for the awesome info Pagz, really appreciate you sharing your knowledge! those were some badass articles too

well im back, ive started amassing parts for the project and am set to start after i replace my leaky trans adapter plug! Ive decided to go piggyback with an adjustable rrfpr and a split second AIC to control 2 injectors welded into the aluminum m111 manifold. Ill be clamping the maf at 4.7v or so and converting the belt system to N/A as i have all the parts. One question i have tho is what to do with my secondary air injection system...can i just plumb it into my charge pipe? any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated! thanks

Hi,
    I'd leave the bypass valve as it is or connect it to the intake before the turbo. Maybe add a BOV somewhere after the I/C.
    Below is what I've done to add some more fuel for testing purposes:

Keep us posted how it goes

Nice work krum! I was gonna do that but I got lucky n pulled an aluminum manifold off a 94 c220. I'm gettin rid of the vdo bypass completely but I meant the secondary air series of check valves that plumb into the supercharger. I see a vac line goin to a sensor so I figure if I plumb it into my ic piping it should see a similar value as when the sc is engaged at cold start. Theories are great...in theory

Very interesting Krum. Looking forward to hearing about the results.
    JJJ.

How'd that extra injector setup work for ya krumb? just tee'd off the depressure fitting?

I connected it to the fuel pressure check fitting and the injectors to a piggyback ecu.
    Wanted to try different AFRs. As expected, the engine gave most power with AFRs around 12.5
    We tried 10.5/11.0/11.5 with no gain and a bit of smoke so decided not to use it.....for now...

thats awesome dude, you gotta 4bar in there too right? that sure makes things easy tho. i wonder what the smoke was about? i got all my parts together to convert to N/A including an air pump so i can delete the charger and still have functioning secondary air injection at cold start. using 2 spst relays in series i can connect the supercharger 12v to the coil and 12v from the switchover relay to the other relay coil allowing 12v fused to come from the battery thru the relays and boom air injection occurs and no CEL or S/C open circuit codes. just gotta replace my barely leaking trans plug adapter and then im set to go ahead with the project. split second AIC, MAF clamp, 2 extra 550 injectors and a T3 60-1 and ill be boostin boys!

Good to hear youre ready with all the parts.
    The smoke was because of the rich mixture.
    One more thing.
    I while ago i had issues with one of the clamps after the S/C. I couldn't tighten it well and it was frequently throwing out the hose so i've driven the car with s/c engaged and with no pressure to the engine. It was running perfectly wiht no error codes and with non of the power of course. ))
    It was running fine just like a non komp engine.

oh yeah i thought id ask you what the fitting was you used for you injector feed at the fuel rail was to save myself some time. Also where you took your tach signal from, behind the cluster or at the ecu? thanks eh

I don't remember the fitting. I took signal from the ECU.