Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: C36; squeezing out 25 more HP

C36; squeezing out 25 more HP

hello,
    would it be difficult to squeeze out 25 more HP from a 1997 C36?

OG Moderator
    I have powerchip on my car

check out their website

Regardz,
    J Irwan by AMG........Motorsport.

Rig up your own Cold Air intake outta the front bumper air dam. 2phast did this look at www.2phast.com
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    040 C43- way to many modifications
    744 CLK55- even more mods
    CLS55 IWC edition
    744 CLK500 Rocket Bunny widebody

CKlasse
    I think intake, chip, and exhaust would gain you about that much.

Originally posted by J Irwan
    I have powerchip on my car

check out their website

Regardz,
    So, Which one do yu have? I can only get 92 octane here and am not into fooling around with cans of toxic stuff every tankfull. Been there done that. I never found anything that worked better than 2 to 4gal. of Trick. either. Chip wouldn't do me a lot of good if the knock sensing is cranking back the timing. Seems like a better deal than http://www.hs-elektronik.com/datenbl...s-c36-amg.html Thanks for the link!
    moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

moebiusgold
    \'95 C36

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by moebiusgold
    So, Which one do yu have? I can only get 92 octane here and am not into fooling around with cans of toxic stuff every tankfull. Been there done that. I never found anything that worked better than 2 to 4gal. of Trick. either. Chip wouldn't do me a lot of good if the knock sensing is cranking back the timing. Seems like a better deal than http://www.hs-elektronik.com/datenbl...s-c36-amg.html Thanks for the link!

I had Powerchip almost 3 years now.
    Back then when I bought it I have to sent my ECU to Australia.
    I have PowerGold98 program which I assume is the equivalent of 93 octane here in the state...

Regardz,

In Charge
    J-

Do you think the mod was worth it? Is there a noticeable difference in performance? Have you had any before/after dyno runs? I am just curious to your thoughts, b/c I heard that chipping a car to remap the air/fuel is not that effective...well, compared to a turbo or s/c car. Also, have you had any problems with the compatibility with the ECU?

I was considering having a Unichip done, but my local guy said it was difficult with MB's. Not too sure what to think. I was going to go with Upsolute, but there service out here is not that great so I decided to cancel my chip.

Thanks

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - da Vinci

OG Moderator
    There are definitely some better effect

for one the idle is smoother
    the throttle response is better. (off course it's even great after I have my CAI)
    You can feel the car is stronger, the obvious changes is when accelerating from 60-100mph is noticeable quicker,
    Unfortunately I didn't do dyno before and after.
    But nonetheless, the power is there and I thought I was just imagining...

but I have proven it on the street many times that my car is stronger than stock C36 .
    I can even shadow a stock C32 twice (the same late 40's dude that was trying to race me). He was in front of me on the traffice light, then he punched it and I punched it too. And guess what I was surprised at the result. He could not shake me and I was about 1 car length behind him all the way to 70mph and then we let go.
    I was so surprised that he couldn't shake me. Theoritically his car should be a lot faster than mine.

This and my CAI is the most worthy expensenve I have so far, other than suspension.

Off course ICE is different topic

Another member Dan The AMG Man also has Powerchip and satisfied with the result.

PS:I could do a lil burn-out from a standstill even with my 255/35/18 (either my old Conti or my P-Zero Nero) without doing a brake stand... ;p

Regardz,

In Charge
    Thanks J

I was initially going for the Upsolute chip, but their service really detered me from finishing up on the product. Then after talking to Speedy and some others, I was gonig to go with a custom Unichip setup. My local guy seemed unsure about applying it to my car, something along the lines of the ECU adapting poorly. Either way, I havent found a good chip to try on my car.

Maybe I'll just do a s/c or build a better NA engine (with Speedys help).

DLS
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

OG Moderator
    I was thinking of going for Unichip before as well

But I did get a good response from them...

the probably thinks I am nuts to mess with my car...
    well you know Benz Tuning wasn't exactly popular back then.

it's started getting more and more popular these days...

but still not much option for our old cars

I think what I have done, is probably going to be as good as it gets without doing custom cam, port-polishing, and re-programmed to go with it..

But I hope CKlasse finish the C36 exhaust tuning with special price for me.. then I could expect another 10-15 rwhp again wooo hoo...

My dream goal is actually to get close to 350 hp NA which is very possible with very aggressive ECU-remap, along with bigger injector, port-polishing, cam re-ground... but that's just going to cost me more $$$$

(PS: someone already done this, they use stand-alone Engine management I think split-second on his C36 transplant 190E and producing 350hp/380lb-ft NA .
    You could check it out at 190 revoultion website. That thing really kick ass and have 5 spd manual tranny too. The claimed time for 0-60 if I remember corretly somewhere 4.6 sec)

but I'll settle with what I have for now (and maybe ...maybe CKlass BMS tuning exhaust , and then save some money to mod my next car

Regardz,

The cold air intake is a good idea to boost HP but don't go the route I did on my C36, its too easy to ingest water and you don't want to risk hydrolock.

Didn't J Irwan do a nice carbon fiber air intake? Don't remember who did it but it was very nice.
    www.2phast.com
    1993 500E, Signal Rot

OG Moderator
    Den,

This is the 190 with C36 transplant engine that I am talking about

Here

Enjoy

Regardz,

J Irwan

what is a CAI? How does it help throttle response?? how much did you pay for it?

thanks
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by 2phast
    The cold air intake is a good idea to boost HP but don't go the route I did on my C36, its too easy to ingest water and you don't want to risk hydrolock.

Didn't J Irwan do a nice carbon fiber air intake? Don't remember who did it but it was very nice.

that was me Rik

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDLAnETNYjBE15oNSoGh6xJlpCs6D*!LmfdoWopStpZnR7lF AX8hSBu0C64YWwbVx7F31*IL!OhjfKdDYYL5HenQhHtcfBPYSw lBrZZ*Aw/111-1148_IMG.JPG[/img]

Regardz,

Ah, now thats a cold air intake
    www.2phast.com
    1993 500E, Signal Rot

In Charge
    Originally posted by jnolte
    J what is a CAI? How does it help throttle response?? how much did you pay for it?
    CAI= cold air intake. It helps throttle response by having dense cold air going into the engine, instead of less dense warm-hot air.
    1998 C43
    1994 C280 (Retired)

Originally posted by Denlasoul
    CAI= cold air intake. It helps throttle response by having dense cold air going into the engine, instead of less dense warm-hot air.

HAHHAHA i feel stoopid now!! I know what a CAI is, I just havent ever seen it abbreviated like that. my bad!!

thanks for answering my question tho D!
    BAN HIS ASS!!
    744 C36 AMG- carlsson
    CLS55 IWC edition

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Denlasoul

Plus now I have more straight though and shorter air-route rather doing then going down then back up like the stock-Airbox.

I would think that's the biggest improvement of this setup ...no more sharper corner ..

even at idle that mouth-opening next to headlight you can feel the suction force when you stick your finger in

Regardz,

wow, check out the improvements with the chiptuning on the C230K:

http://www.hs-elektronik.com/datenbl...3ps-280nm.html

goes to ~235HP!!!!
    plus top speed up to 252km/h woahhh

The price (EUR 1499) is waaaay steep compared to upsolute

Etienne

even at idle that mouth-opening next to headlight you can feel the suction force when you stick your finger in
    So what about driving in the rain?

After looking at the pics here on this thread i'll show yall a pic of my crossover tube on my C36. The 190's looks bigger and has 3.6 written on it. Mine doesnt. I've seen some C36's tubes and some have 3.6 & some dont? Anybody know whats up with that?

Heres mine...

Here is the 190's tube....
    http://mb190.tripod.com/readers/Carlos.html

Is it me or do the crossover tubes look alot different?
    1996 C36 /////AMG..(sold).....now rolling an \'05 EVO VIII

CKlasse
    Originally posted by DougandhisC280
    Just as any other CAI, not an issue. Unless you build an underbody scoop - vacuum machine style!

OG Moderator
    Originally posted by Three Point 6
    After looking at the pics here on this thread i'll show yall a pic of my crossover tube on my C36. The 190's looks bigger and has 3.6 written on it. Mine doesnt. I've seen some C36's tubes and some have 3.6 & some dont? Anybody know whats up with that?

Heres mine...

Here is the 190's tube....
    http://mb190.tripod.com/readers/Carlos.html

Is it me or do the crossover tubes look alot different?

Kylie.

The one on the 190E isprobably custom ( I am not sure ,as It looks similar to mine), I do notice that your intake plenum and Mine is different. Mine seems to be bigger in diameter..

(Edit: it seems that your intake plenum is not original C36..??, maybe other can show us 95-96 engine bay shot. Maybe the previous owner to cheap replacing the original plenum and go with this 2.8L/3.2L plenum.. )

Originally posted by DougandhisC280
    I just ease on the gas pedal when it's raining hard.(I have to be carefull sinceI don't want to intake to swallow any water )

But rain is only couple of days in a year so I am not that concerns

Regardz,

Your crossover tube is pretty bad compared to J Irwin's. Yours is flatter with less volume and then makes a hard 90 bend at the end. That last bend is a Hp killer.

See if you can update to the Intake like whats on J Irwins C36.

Jeff
    1999 C43 Obsidian Black; Penske Remote Adjustable Shocks; Adjustable Spring Perches; SSR Comp Wheels, 9.5 & 9.5x17\"; Custom 31.75mm front & 19mm rear swaybar; Ported Manifold; Limited Slip Differential, Headers and race Cats, Other Stuff