Thread: Clutch Fan Delete/ Add Electric fan Controller

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You're wrong.

As for #1) the revving engine pulling a fan to max rpms of aprox 6000 rpms will rob 8-10 hp when the clutch engages and rotation mass as well as air pressure from the blades is being exerted. The clutch slips, if it didnt then this figure is about 25-30 hp base on fan size at those rpms. Its why hotrodders go to flex fans because as rpms build the air restriction increases hp rob when a fan does not flex or slip.

#2) it will use about 2hp just to maintain rotation as you are at constant cruising rpm lets say 35mph @ 2100 fpms. It will use more as speed fluctuaes through gear shifts. This uses fuel because a fan will not draw air on its own. Try and spin you home fan and see how fast it stops when you spin it by hand as fast sd you can. It saves about .5 miles per gallon extra when compared to a car getting aprox 20 mpg with clutch fan. 20.5 with electric.

#3) even with a thermostat, cooling systems have a bypass hose to prevent restriction. Thr air flow over the motor on a cold morning also cools the engine. No fan running? Radiator warms quicker and engine warms quicker. Especially if you do as I do and drill the 186* therm and allow flow to burp system as well as drop running temp about 5-7*. There is constant flow , restricted yes, but it's still flowing.

So now you know. Its not my first rodeo. Every car I own ive done this to and have proven results for 3 decades.
    Last edited by Vetruck; 09-11-2014 at 03:13 PM.